Home Chat General Chat

Valuable swim lesson

after weeks of decent swiming sessions, observing all the rules, thought i was lucky never to meet one of those much talked about swim nemesis.....however one struck me today..usual 4 people doing laps at lunchtime and i slotted in nicely

In 'dives!' this old dear touching 70..bright green top and yellow hat...starts swimming up and down in the lanes in the style of a frog having been run over....made it impossible to judge tempo etc...

I even turned round half way down a length to give myself some clear water....however think she was waiting for me... I push off hard on next turn, swim down middle and 'try' to pass her...going past her she seems to do some crazy flip onto her front and motors off leaving me for dust...then flips back over.. legs/arms covering all the water.... completely threw me...cue breathing all over the place, spluttering...got mad at myself...and bailed out under ropes to continue some decent lenghts whilst telling myself to calm down......i reckon the lesson learnt is careful how much effort is needed to pass these folks and if i had carried on at normal pace how much time would i have really lost?....good checkpoint or my 1st tri in just over weeks time...(of course when i am more experienced i can just run her over!)

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    When passing in a race you dont have to worry so much! A quick tap on the feet and they should let you past at the end of the length.

Great post!
  • steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    i have been swimming nearly everyday this week just to keep the rythm and routine up , everytime i seem to encounter these stupid idiots i call swim clowns, i cant believe they swim with their heads above water chatting away right in F$$%%&??!ng front of me i think i got interupted everytime i was in the pool this week just let me finish my god damn set!!!! anyways that was good to get off my chest till tommorrow when i meet the numptys in the pool see ya
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    has anyone ever encountered being told to tap the knee? I was today.

I was practically mounting the poor folk on the swim just to tap them.... I decided not to tap the knee but the ankles.....
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i always thought it was polite to tap the feet or ankles. touching knees seems a bit forward! how very edwardian.

there are times i've taken to tapping feet on training swims if the people in my lane are being 'mrs brady old lady'