Home Chat General Chat

What training have you done this week now you are a triathlete

BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
1 Hour of 5-a-side football which I was really bad at.

1 hour hard swim. Cant quite lift my arms over my head today!

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    So you have done your first Tri and this is your first season! What trianing have you done this week?

(it follows on from Newbies what training have you done this week!)

Its a bit like a promotion from Newbie to ? (you tell me)
  • johnashtonjohnashton Posts: 32
    I'm quite new to this and it's difficult to nail it down to week to week but on average I do about 6 hours a week. upto 2 hour long bike, an hours spin class or hills or sprint session, 1 hours run or intervals, and 1 hours worth of weights as I play rugby in the winter so need to keep that up a little.

I'm training for my first Olympic Tri in 30 days at rutland water... If anyone else is doing it and worried don't be I'm 100% going to come dead last ! last year the slowest was about 2h30 my bike is going to take me 2h, you do the Math..... I'm in real trouble.
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    new to the tri lark too - my background is marathon/fell running. Front crawl, or "how not to drink pool while going in a vaguely forward direction" lessons started three weeks ago - I'm very rubbish at it. weekly training is generally

mon and thurs: 18 mile commute each way on 2 days (morning ride followed by 5k fartlek on the treadmill and core work)

tue and wed: 4k row, 5k fartlek treadmill, core work. evening swim if I can get to the pool.

fri: rest and drink beer for calories

sat and sunday currently reserved for swimming (1hr sessions) as I seriously need the practice. 8 mile run on sat or sun depending on when the future mrs chappers lets me out.

HOWEVER, such a lack of curbed enthusiasm has resulted in a knee injury (though the coming together of a car, my bike and my knee didn't help). So running is out. If that wasn't bad enough, I had another fall off the bike on friday and buggered my right hip and intercostal muscles, so now I can't swim or run and my training is now pretty much limited to rowing and spinning. ar*e.

I'm signed up for the sprint tri at Dorney lake in June, OD tri in Ripon in July and the Hellvelyn tri in September... the injuries had better heal quickly!!!

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Sunday - rookie day

Monday - recover from rookie day[:D]

Tuesday - mental abaration run/intervals with local run club 7.5k up a hill!!!!!! 1 hr

Wednesday - !!!!!! Physio at last to sort out stuck SI joint ouch and erhm jammed rectus femoris, gluts, psoas, ITB and quads - take my advice NEVER fall off a bucking horse and spring your pelvis it takes 4 years to sort out[:@] And that physio hurt now on a 4 a day stretch programme

Thursday - stretches, 4.5k intervals 30 mins trying to keep HR between 140-160, swim drills 30 mins playing catch up with hands to extend reach and breathing with half goggle in water only drank 1/5th of pool rather than anticipated 1/2[:D]
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Monday- hour swim session with tri club working at race pace for most of it

Tuesday- 45 mins spinning, quick 15 min run with dog before band practice

Wednesday- Hour circuits, 15 mins run with dog after

Today- 8 miles approx run sesh with Tri club

Tomorrow- Who knows? Take Tessa out for a spin? Or hit the gym?
    20 Mile cycle last night (what a nice evening for a bike ride) Followed by 1 hours 5-a-side football.

Rest day today, Run tomorrow morning to start the weekend off!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Well, I've taken it a little easy this week... bit of a rest after Sundays exhertion (bowel issues lasted till Monday, nasty business).

Cycle to work and back all week though starting Tuesday, Wednesday evening swim technique class, Thusday morning easy swim, Thursday lunch half hour run, today... Long cycle home, try and get myself lost.
  • Sunday - rest after hard work of Saturday

Monday - swim am, easy 10 mile cycle in eve

Tues - run interval session (legs still abit sore)

Weds - swim am, 40min session on turbo trainer (desperately need to get faster on bike after Saturdays performance!)

Thurs - OW swim am, sprint session on track at lunch

Fri - taking it easy - might do something on the bike this eve

Sat - Trying to fit OW swim in am,

Sun - Bike, Bike and more bike (only 3 weeks till Windsor!)
  • jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    This is actually my second season but as I only did one Tri in 2007 I suppose this counts.

Monday 36km comute on bike - 18km Hard in, steady ride home (I try to beat the previous mornings ride)

Tuesday 'as Monday' with a 7km brick run

Wednesday 'as Monday'

Thursday 'As Monday'

this morning 18km comute in

• Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Sunday - 23 mile cycle including some big hills

Monday - rest day as in London on business from V early

Tuesday - Triathlon training class AM then 5 mile run home from work PM

Wednesday - 1700 metre swim

Thursday - 17 mile cycle including hills

Friday - 1900 metre swim

Saturday - 10K race which will count as run training!
  • Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    Played football on Weds afternoon. Cracked a sodding rib. Very frustrated now. Desperate to get out and try my new Newtons. How long will the rib take to fix?
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Rib will take a few weeks to mend yet!

Monday-6 mile easy run, 2k swim

Tuesday-took aerobics class which i made up as i went along. nobody noticed! result! 40 min hills on the bike.

Wednesday-10 mile TT(very nearly died!)

Thursday-5k all out run, knocked a whole 10 seconds off my PB. whoopeedoo.

Friday-1500 straight swim, 1k swim drills.

Surfing this weekend, if I can find a wave!
    Weeks? You mean days surely? I'll be pulling my hair out if takes much longer than the weekend. Must. Get. Out...
    They will be less sore in a few days but bones usually take weeks to mend, my friend.....
    Jess

Thanks for your honesty. As soon as I can get to the 'top' of my in breath I am off out.
    ....and try not to laugh.....lol [:D]
    Thursday night was a 15 mile cycle and 1 hours football

Friday 30 mins core and 20 mins light weights

Saturday was a rest!

Sunday 8 mile run with intervals of 2 lamp posts!

Tonight i will be going some core!

Bring on another week of training!!!!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Non yet since Sunday :D - had a few beers though ;) .. going to have another rest day tomorrow then start the regime again in readiness for the next event.

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    my belly's growing.
  • Sunday - a double brick session - very proud of myself.

2 x 15 mile cycle with 3 mile run after each.

Sunday eve - dog got attacked, made a funny movement to save him, did back in, can't move!

Monday - lots of painkillers, trying to move to keep back mobile.

Tues - may try an easy run - one forced rest day is enough!
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    That sounds pretty severe though mate - take it easy! Might be worth just giving it a few really easy stretches. See how that feels first.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    crewing at horse event for friends 15 yr old daughter (100k) so hadn't planned any training but then had a phone call of 'horse won't go and I don't like it' so landed up doing a 3k run in solid walking shoes with steel toe caps to rescue[:-] feet do not look preety

yesterday went to pot stinking cold[:@]
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    last week went:

Monday: 45 mile bike with some local hills

Tues: 5km run followed by a 1000m pyramid swim

Wed: 800m on track, Club 10 mile TT (27.21) not too bad considering it was extremely windy

Thurs: Engish schools 1500m (4, 44) 3rd fastest time of the day

Fri: 6 km run

Sat: long sea swim

Sun: 95 mile bike with the club
    happytofinish wrote:

Sunday - a double brick session - very proud of myself.

2 x 15 mile cycle with 3 mile run after each.

Sunday eve - dog got attacked, made a funny movement to save him, did back in, can't move!

Monday - lots of painkillers, trying to move to keep back mobile.

Tues - may try an easy run - one forced rest day is enough!

I'd agree with Ron99 - I'm no expert or physio etc. but had a few injuries... if your back lets you, I'd recommend spinning - far less impact than running and really helps to maintain fitness while you recover... this has worked for me a number of times (currently doing this while recovering from the 3 injuries I have... all induced by spills off the bike). To give you an idea, I was on for a 3hr time for the Loch Ness marathon, but of all things I got shin splits 2 months before - physio, orthotics and a shed load of rowing and spinning got me recovered and a time of 3hrs 25mins... take it easy and hope all of this waffle isn't necessary and your back is back to normal soon

forgot to say... 45 mins on the turbo... and yep, a shed load of stretching and foam rollering... physio this morning reckons I've torn a muscle or cracked a rib... ar*e, fek, b**ger...
    Spent this week reaching for mist. Cracked rib keeps promising to mend and then lets me down. It's no use, I'm going to have to reach for a beer bottle.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    How come everyone's cracked a rib???? Is this some new triathlon 'must have' ??
    It's only a must have if you crave frustration, fitness loss and weight gain. Now reaching for beer number 4. [:-]
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    i did quite well....

sun - race - then drinking until around 2am.

mon - rest

tue - fly to hols

wed - 8k run - decent amount of pool swimming.

thu - 600ish m swim in sea

fri - 10k run

sat - nothing.

as i was on hols - every bit was followed by a very early "beer-o-clock".....
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Nothing for me since Sunday :S been nursing a couple of niggles - but will be swimming tomorrow, run Friday (maybe), then a 50 mile bike Saturday.