Home Chat General Chat

intervals on treadmills

What do ofters think about intervals on treadmills?

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Get outside, man. It's summer!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I can never run fast enough on a treadmill for intervals - without worrying about falling off. And getting too hot.

However, a nice controlled LT work out... for my, 20 mins, 8.5 mph, 2.5% incline is spot on. Especially with a HRM strap on, it gives a nice controlled measure of what is going on.

A track is the only place to really do intervals properly!!
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    I used to do all my running on a treadmill but haven't for ages now. But i feel as though i get a lot more out of doing my intervals on one but i'd rather do what is better for my running.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Mate i do a type of interval on the runner before i do my weights, make me feel like its actually worth paying the money to go to the gym.

Try this,

Just start at quite a slow speed just above fast walking.

And every minute in crease the speed by a factor of 1.0

Keep going untill your running at a very high speed, on my gyms machine and for me thats at 16.

when you hit the top run for the minute and then DECREACE by a factor of 1.0 back to the walking speed, then repeat.

I have incline set to 1.0.

It certainly works up a sweat.
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    I'm with jesster- no replacement for outdoor running as it's tougher on the muscles because your not on a mirror flat piece of rubber. That said I've got a favourite 24min fartlek type program on the treadmill for gym days that I've used for well over 10 yrs (I even choose gyms based on whether they have the particular treadmill - getting harder now as it's an old model). Anyway the program involves the following (scale speed - but not inclines - to suit your ability)

3mins warm up 12.5kph flat

3mins 16kph flat

2mins 11kph 6% incline

2mins 17.5kph -4% decline

2mins 10.5kph 9% incline

2mins 17.5kph -4% decline

2mins 8kph 15% incline

2mins 13.5kph 4% incline

2mins 11kph 9% incline

2mins 17.5kph -4%

1min 16.5kph flat

1min 12.5kph flat

Either follow this with 5x1min sprint intervals (1min rest in between) or do 4k on the concept2 before it (or both) and your on the way to cardio heaven... Works for me anyway :-)