Home Chat General Chat

THE LBS

shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
ok I am going to champion the LBS.

Been having some trouble with the gears on the bike. Cleaned the chain, cleaned the cassette etc tried adjusting the cables, derails etc but no avail.

Take the bike to the LBS and the guys spend 10mins adjusting everything and I mean everything from stem, brakes, gears, everything. I asked how much.... not a bean. Fair play to the guy, I have bought a lot of stuff from them but that is real customer service. Can't imagine Stinkyfords or evans cycles doing that for nowt. My gears are running superb now.

You can't get better than the LBS!!

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    on the other hand YOUR LBS could advise you and subsequently sell you a bike that is too large for you.

didds

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    this is the same LBS who told me not buy an more expensive road bike till I new I liked being on them. They said no point buying an expensive bike incase you don't like and end up losing the cash.

I champion the LBS.....Walkers Cycles ace people in there.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I wish my LBS was good, normaly i go in there, they ignoe me completely and sell things that clearly aren't needed. Admittedly it was partly my fault as i should have checked, but i bought a foot pump and 2 new tubes. they didn't think to even mention that the pump was not compatable with the tubes i was buying... the only plus side is that now each bike has its own pump as the foot pump worked on the tubes in my hybrid and i went and bought a track pump for the road bike.
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Bought the junior his first bike, a specilaized hotrock - he loves it - and was looking for a prop-up stand ... no such thing as per Evans Cycles. Went to my LBS where I bought the bike, they are a little further away than Evans, and they confirmed that there is no such thing. BUT, give them a day and they custom make one for the bike - so they did! 7.99 same price as a normal stand for a kids bike - superb.

They also do bike maintenance and service 30% cheaper than Evans ....
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Got my bike from LBS after a service. Rear brake seized almost solid, had to ease it off a turn. Having said that the gears are zipping up and down much better than they were.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    This might be a bit controversial here, but I actually have an Evans nearby that isn't totaly evil and I use them sometimes!

Shock horror!

There are a couple of genuinely knowledgeable, helpful guys in my local shop that are happy to take the time to help me out. One guy in particular is a triathlete and gave me loads of good advice when I was deciding what bike to buy (and not because he was giving me the hard sell). He's also given me a instant discount on more than one occasion when I've gone in there for bits and pieces. Also, because they buy in bulk, there's often good deals to be had.

In saying that though, I did buy my bike from an LBS, and do go back there for other stuff - they are consistently brilliant, and took about 4 hours to sell me my bike, including proper fitting.

The point is - I do like to support my LBS, preferring to give my money to a small business than a big company, but, there are times when I need something quickly (Evans is just much closer than the LBS, or money is tight, or whatever.