Home Chat General Chat

Anybody use a Powerbreathe

Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
Anyone used a Powerbreathe? I've read they're like weight lifting for your lungs - works the muscles that help you take in more air. Don't know anyone who's actually used one though.

Comments

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Not worth £30 for 1% as you say. Thought it might be useful during 'dead time' at home (only takes a few minutes per day allegedly), but wasn't sure of its effectiveness. Cheers.
  • I use one, Conehead is technically right on the effects though. However, I have noticed a difference particularly when climbing hills on a run or bike. Instead of gasping for breath at the top of a long or steep hill, after using a powerbreath (once per day for a few weeks prior) my breathing is far less 'heavy'. This is the noticeable difference. It is a bit of a bind fitting it in for those 'five' minutes as it just feels awkward.

Hope this is of help - whether it justifies the £30 price tag is another matter though.
  • Hillsy555Hillsy555 Posts: 19
    Just to add my 2p worth, I also use one and as stated above definately feel it helps on those lung busting sessions. Maybe it's all in the head but seems to have made a difference
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    To echo Conehead...look at your 'limiting factors' if not getting enough oxygen into your lungs is a problem, because of lack of strength in muscles responsible for breathing, then £30 & its yours, however I doubt this would be the case for most of us.

I for sure could work harder, could train harder..etc, etc.
    Britspin/Conehead - I hear ya, but just to be clear - I'm not looking for a magic bullet here. All I was asking is if this device actually does anything to help improve the lung's ability to get more air in. I was thinking that I could use it in the evening when the news is on - Its not supposed to be a substitute for training! I know that there aren't any shortcuts, and I'm not looking for one. I wasn't saying that I had a problem with lung capacity, but what's wrong with trying something new in addition to training for endurance and technique? (if it actually works that is)

I do appreciate the feedback though - just wanting to hear what people's experiences have been. Thanks to all.

Precisely my point, in the scheme of things it probably would not make any noticeable difference unless you are at the peak when win/lose margins are fractions of a second then it may. But it really can't do any harm so why not, altho when I tried out a similar device I may have set it too hard as my lungs hurt after a week or so & I got a sore throat..could be co incidence but..
    I think the general message is that it's incremental benefits only using one of these, and so not sure it's worth £30. If it were half that price, I might give it a go just to check it out, but since that's nearly the price of another swim coaching session, I think I'll spend my money where it will be more benefit. Thanks for the feedback guys.
  • scott_burrowsscott_burrows Posts: 381
    I've been reading this thread with a little interest.

If it gives me a 1% advantage, I have to think it would be worth it for £30.

In the overall scheme of things £30 for a 1% improvement would probably work out as one of the best/cost efficient tri purchases :)

Ron, where did you see it for sale for £30. I might give it a go and report back.

Scotty

Bizarrely, Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&productId=1500337105&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=Powerbreathe+Sports+Breathing+Muscle+Trainer+-+Red

Although I normally don't like to give them any of my hard-earned. Google it and I think a few options come up. I also mentioned it to a personal trainer friend of mine just this evening, and she said that it does help. She runs a lot and takes a spin class 4 times a week, and she reckoned that she seen a benefit over 3-4 weeks.

Its conflicting info I'm getting here, which is why I posted here in the first place. All respect to the guys who know what they're talking about when it comes to all things training, but I'd also like to hear from a few more folks that have used the thing and have any positive or negative feedback.

Let me know how you get on.

Lady Britspin as an asthmatic bought one & tried it, no noticeable effect, I tried it, but found it difficult to remember to use it every day, so not much use really asa study on effectiveness...
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Interesting. Never heard of one of these. £30 is a tiny amount to spend in the big triathlon scheme of things. As an addition to the usual training, it wouldn't harm to give one a try would it?

It does put me in mind of those nose plasters footballers used to wear though. Loads of them worse them for a couple of seasons, then they all stopped apart from Robbie Fowler, and he gave up eventually.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i used it, it works. simple as that really. i used it in addition to my ironman training last year and never got out of breath. this year, training for the london marathon and i hadnt used the powerbreathe since ironman last year. same pace, and gasping for air. needless to say i'm using it again in preperation for this years ironman. once you get into tha habit of using it is really time eficient. i make sure to leave it in the bathroom and i use it straight after brushing my teeth. helps keep it clean so i only need to sterilise it once a week and it reminds me to use it! i got all the way to the toughest level on it last year (the medium resistance one). i'm back down to 2!!!
    Cheers Jon! I was hoping somone would have a good experience with it. Seems like I'm doing a U turn now, but between my friend (mentioned above), yourself and a couple of the other guys here, it seems like there's enough potential here. Think I'm going to give it a go.

p.s. like your profile pic - brilliant!
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    It does put me in mind of those nose plasters footballers used to wear though. Loads of them worse them for a couple of seasons, then they all stopped apart from Robbie Fowler, and he gave up eventually.

Think Paula Radcliffe still uses them for races. I've definitely seen her using them.