Home Chat General Chat

Chain help

benjobenjo Posts: 14
I changed my chain today. The old one had 34 links (or 68, depending on how you look at it,) so I have set my new chain to have the same. It now slips a little bit when I'm in the big chain ring, but when I'm on the small one, it really slips.

I'm guessing the new chain is too long? How do I work out how long it should be?

Thanks

Comments

• hazohazo Posts: 18
    Hi

Wrap the chain around big front cog and big rear cog (cassette)

Do not theaded chain through the rear derailleur.

Pull chain tight.

Add one link and that, my friend, is how long your chain needs to be.

Guess too short and you risk snapping the chain - ouch!!

Too long -well you know that bit.

Always found Mr Sheldonbrown's website to be very helpful

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    benjo, if you change the chain, you also need to change the cassette at the same time. The cassette will wear according to the chain as it stretches, so a new chain will be slightly out sync with an old cassette. Guarantee it will sort out as soon as you put a new cassette in.
  • benjobenjo Posts: 14
    Excellent, will try both those.

Thanks

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    If you replace your chain as soon as it reaches the 1% strech point, or ideally when it has stretched 0.75% (you can get a chain checker to see this), then the cassette should far outlive the chain, and you should be able to run a through chains until the cassette has to go. Things to look for on the cassette are the hooked teeth (though make sure they were normal before, some teeth on some cassettes are hooked anyway to help shifting). If you are having problems more when you are in the small chainring, then it sounds like a chainring problem, have a look at the teeth. Assuming your bike was originally set up properly then the chain length should be right. If it doubt, take it to the LBS to have a look
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    if the chain hasn't been changed for a long time (say 6mo-1yr of good riding) then it is likely that the cassette and chain have worn together and you may need to change the cassette for the new chain to run smoothly. if the chain/cassette combination that you started with hasn't been going for long then it might be getting your lbs to give it a look over.

as agent_ti said, it is worth changing chains regularly to get the best life out of the cassette (and chains too, in the medium term).

worth checking the new chain for sticky links, when i last swapped in a new chain i had a stiff link that was causing a bit of slipping to the middle range of the cassette.