Home Chat General Chat

ironman bike recce earlier today

Earlier today i did a couple of laps of the IM bike circuit, so thought would just do a quick posting for those who are doing the event.

all in all i thought was pretty fair. As soon as leave lake, into a climb for about fifteen mins, and there is flatter bit to recover half way up. Watch the potholes on this descent before turning left onto belmont rd- one of the worst bits of road have ever seen. . After this steady slightly undulating descent for about 4 miles ish. then second climb, maybe 4 mins, then realtively flat for rest of first half.

At A third climb at about 23miles ish, but not of gradient of other two, and not too bad. Then steady levels. Then another small two climbs, as you approach the resevoir again. These just steady.

The course has got loads and loads of turns so not one where can sit on aero bars for 15 miles straight. I am hoping that all the junctions will be marshalled which i am sure they will.

I dont think the hills should be too bad, as they do not last that long, and is time to recover after each.

The scenery for is a mixture of great landscapes/hills, and a number of villages some great, some not so great.

I would definately recommend doing a recce to get a feel for the inclines of the hill. I am thinking of going down again if anybody interested. I will try and pick a day when there is not as much rain!!!!!

you can get the course profile of the website map my run, search for rivington bike route, and a couple of guys have plotted the route, select one and then click on show elevation.

If it is of interest, i will try and mark on a map, where i thought the five areas of work (hills) are and attach that to a thread later? let me know.

Comments

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    The additional information would certainly be of interest. Post away.

Mike

• ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    shall try and get it on here tomorrow
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    what gearing did you use and how did you find it?

Great insight - Thanks.[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    ok guys here is my attempt at marking the areas of work of the course. see below

hill 1: the longest, prob about 10-15 min to climb, windy, includes going over a cattle grid but assuming that they will have the gate open on the day, be careful on the descent, a few bends, and just before the turn serious potholes - i cant emphasise that enough.

hill 2: about a 5 min climb, just straight, through the wild west!

hill 3: a steady gradual incline, prob last for 10-15

hill 4: prob lowest incline, maybe 7 min steady

hill 5: again more low incline and steady

in respect of gears, i did 2 laps on my old trek, as it was thrashing it down for the 2nd lap. the gearing on the front 53/39, and back 9 speed, 27/12. this was fine for all, possibly on the hill no 1, could have done with another gear too minimise output of effort. on the day i will be riding my scott addict which has got 50/34 and 10 speed 26/11, that will let me spin up the first hill a bit easier. clearly this is relative to the training rides you do, and how many and types of hills you take in.

on the IMUK website, i think on the FAQ section, they have got this question and is yet to be answered.

i did sherborne in 2006, and from recollection, is no worse than that. I am not sure if the can provide the level of ascents for the 2 courses.

[image]local://2902/F17CCC0D7C194B85820D41D10EC73E9B.jpg[/image]
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Thanks for the info ipay1980.

Just go through all my gear ratio's and selections now. Thinking of going slightly more compact but yet to decide. I'm off to recce the course on June 27th!
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    Thanks for the info, very useful. I will have to consider my gearing in the new bike. I hate hills!

Mike

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Got my hands on a colleague's spare dura-ace compact with a lovely 50/34, going to be way better than my TT specific 52/42.

Doing my own recce there on Saturday 27 June if anyone else might be doing the same thing. I've only down the first 20km so a guide would be awesome!

Hoping the gear ratio 34 - 23 should be enough to get me up the hill!