Home Chat General Chat

chip timing

tomtristomtris Posts: 135
Ha ha. That's an awesome thought. Maybe that's why so many of us shave our legs. So the gaffa tape for the timing chip doesn't rip out the hairs! Made my day that.............

On to the more serious matter, I have never been to a race where they haven't supplied the vlecro strap as well as the chip and that's a good few years and races!

If the strap isn't supplied I want pre and post pics of your leg hair!!![;)]

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I have raced two races with chip timing and they have supplied the strap.

You can never be too careful though! And if its longer than a sprint you might want to invest in a more comfortable one.
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    First tri coming up this Sunday.....eeek.

It says in the blurb that they will be using a chip timing system, so do they supply the strap required to secure it to you? I have seen them for sale and am worried I need one?

I have visions of gaffa taping the chip to my leg, then suffering when its pulled off with my leg hair....

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    so a quick question as I have only use chip timing for runs and haven't yet done my first tri - do the straps get caught in the wetsuit/make it harder to get out? I have visions of hopping around transition as my foot is stuck due to the timing chip... oh dear i've just given myself one more thing to worry about
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Chips and straps are provided, but don't forget to hand it back in after the race or they will charge you for it.

The strap should not get caught in your wetsuit as it should be inside the leg therefore the leg does not have to pass over it when being removed - plus the copious amounts of lube will help your wetsuit just glide offf !!!
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    thats how you tell the pros from the newbies. the pros have done the gaffa tape chip trick once and have since shaved their legs....the newbies on the other hand....

Awesome, phew I am glad. Funny what comes in to your mind a few days before first tri! I seem to worry about every fine detail!

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    With a timing chip you need to make sure you stamp on the mats as run over aND MAKE SURE YOU HEAR THE BEEP!

Strap comes with the chup and is velcorwed on!
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    hear the beep?...

not another thing to remember [:D]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    ...and don't do the strap up too tight so that the velcro edge cuts into your skin..
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    md6 wrote:
    - do the straps get caught in the wetsuit/make it harder to get out? I have visions of hopping around transition as my foot is stuck due to the timing chip... oh dear i've just given myself one more thing to worry about

yes they do - as I found out in my first tri at the weekend - took me at least another 30 seconds or so and lots of wasted energy to get the wetsuit off the leg with the chip on - I knew I should have had it tucked inside...