Home Chat General Chat

so, who's doing the cheshire tri?

Anyone else doing the cheshire tri this weekend?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I was, but then the mighty Toffees amazingly made the FA Cup final. I'll be in no state to do anything on Sunday. I cancelled and am doing the (new this year) Northwich Tri a week later. The nice people at UK Triathlon gave me a credit note.

If you've not done it before it's a good event (in my limited experience) but beware, T1 is a mile from the car park, T2 and the finish. Give yourself enough time to get there.
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    yep i'll be there...1st tri ever....few days to go and now the excitement/nerves well and truly kicking in..

trianed for last few months in crappy weather, wind, rain...now looks like we will get sunburnt..so remember to stick suncream on the check list...
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    I've doen the North west tri last year, which i believe runs on the same course. Came 4th in the novice distance, trying for a podium finish this year. Then i'm planning to move on to sprint distance. When's your start time?
  • steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    yep cant wait guys really looking forward to it did horwich tri beggining of the month it was a killer im going all out for this one good bike course nice and flat yeeeeeeeeha good luck to you all!!!!
    Thanks nd you too. Watch out for the deadly corner at about half way, the straight bit just before it is really fast and you dont want to be going into it at 27 mph. Hope the weather stays nice. Make sure you all post after the race nd let everyone know how you got on :D
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Hi Guys,

The Cheshire fun distance on Sunday will be my first tri. I only entred yesterday on the (probably mistaken grounds) that "I need to do a bit more training" was an open ended excuse with a ten year life time. Today ten years seems like too short a training time!

I'm terrified.

Only aiming not to get a DNF - my commuting bike and I (must remember to take pannier rack off) are going to post the slowest ever tri time!

Any advice for pre race novices?

• steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    yes.....enjoy it and watch me whizz past you.... only joking have a great time and pack some suncream its going to be nice and sunny its a great atmosphere
    if you're doing it for the first time i would get there well before the start time so that you can familiarise yourself with the layout of the transition areas as it is a bit unusual, also you will find the swim a bit faster than in a conventional 25m pool, maybe because of the salt or the fact that you don't have to turn so many times. The run is nice and flat so no worries there:)
  • MackaMacka Posts: 2
    Did this in Sept (North West Tri but is the same thing really)

I can only repeat what has already been said. Get there well early.

I was there at least two hours before. I registered then sorted T2. (nb its a split transition so T1 and T2 are not in the same place).

Had a walk down to the pool and got a feel for T1 and watched a few swimmers so got an idea of what to do when it was my turn.

Came back to car and sorted bike. Chilled then headed for T1. Waited to rack bike 9they call out a number range when its time to rack your bike.

time for the loo and then get in line for the swim.

Really enjoyed it and was a great atmosphere and lots of nice people.

Will be there Sunday.

Enjoy!

Thanks, that's a real help. I'll try to have fun but..... I have just rediscovered that any amount of running does still put my back out [:(]. I knew this ten years ago but it's still a disappointment.

This might be my first and last attempt unless I can get rid of the pride which says walking the run amounts to failure. I'm looking forward to it though.

Have a good race everyone.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    durhamvam wrote:

Thanks, that's a real help. I'll try to have fun but..... I have just rediscovered that any amount of running does still put my back out [:(]. I knew this ten years ago but it's still a disappointment.

This might be my first and last attempt unless I can get rid of the pride which says walking the run amounts to failure. I'm looking forward to it though.

Have a good race everyone.

Would a pre-race massage help you? They have them available at the Cheshire Tri.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Walking the run doesn't amount to failure as long as you finish. Nothing worse than a DNF.
  • JoddyBearJoddyBear Posts: 66
    gdh250467 wrote:

Walking the run doesn't amount to failure as long as you finish. Nothing worse than a DNF.

i totally agree with the sentiment, but surely a DNS is much worse than a DNF. It's making an effort that's important, even if you have to pull out at least you've tried.
    I'm definitely going to finish - wild horses won't stop me. I'll run/jog this one and then start getting the back fixed again next week.

But probably it is time to grow up and accept (for the third time) that I'm never going to be able to run, however much I enjoy it.

I suppose it would be alright just to plan to walk in the future - and just get good at riding???

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Just go for it. I wouldn't worry too much if you have to walk during the run element, who doesn't at some point. The photo below was taken at a sprint event earlier this year, and in the back you can see someone walking, this was udring the swim, and he did it all the way. Good job the pool didn't have a deep end, but full respect to the bloke for having a go and finishing. Not being able to swim didn't stop him, and possibly having to walk shouldn't stop you.

[image]local://3179/B2D0EA79CB594905A069D86735ADA88C.jpg[/image]
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    wow...walking the swim...never occured to me that one....probably faster than my current FC pace [:D]
    Thanks so much for the advice and support - goals for Sunday are to finish and have fun doing it. I'll get the back fixed next week and then I can work on a walking the run basis - plenty of room for improvement on the bike and swim, believe me.

That does mean I'll "NEED" a nice, new, shiny, red bike though doesn't it? [;)]
    [:D]Glad to see that thers so many new-comers doing it. You all show a great attidude towards the sport too! Take it easy and most importantly enjoy it. Hope to see some of you lining up at the side of the pool