Home Chat General Chat

Cancelled my race :(

So gutted. I've not been running due to shins, and not really been doing much of anything else either due to family camping break and a sore inner thigh. I thought that if i laid off i could at least get to race day and get on with it - it was never going to be fast but it could of been further experience, but no, the inner thigh soreness is nagging at me - probably brought on by the 'world-class' frissbee session on the beach a few days back.

I've cancelled the triathlon.

Just gutted.

I have to get back on track, so it starts with the physio on Friday, Coneheads 2nd training day on Saturday and gradually building the training back in properly. No mish-mash training anymore. Properly planned sessions with properly measured results.

[:@]

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Sorry to hear that mate.

Whilst your seething at the moment you know deep down that injuring yourself is not the best idea in the world.

Good luck with the new found plan for world domination. You'll be back very soon better, stronger and faster

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Sounds like the right decision Gary.

If you're not fully fit and don't feel up for it there's not much point in racing.

Once you've seen the physio get another race booked and, as you say, get a training plan together.

Best of luck.
  • awww man that sucks, enjoy some time off though. Only time you get an excuse to be lazy :P
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Not nice man. Its the right thing to do though, and I agree with you on the structured training thing. Remember what they told us about this on the last rookie day? I've been on to RK and going to go for the proper plan myself. No more "garbage training"!
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    what sort of plan have you got gary? how structured? am thinking i need to move to something more scientific
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Did anyone mention lateral training? That would be what has agrravated your inner thigh. Tri being a straight ahead sport thats all we do. Any sport with a ball or a frisbee requires lateral unpredictable movements, so doing some side to side stuff..as simple as a lateral lunge, or side step jogging on a warm up can & will wake up these inner & outer thigh muscles which will contribute to hip stability which will help your run & transition from bike to run, however at first it will really hurt.

I have plans & routines...they will be in my book 'How taining really ***** you up.'
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Tough luck Gary [:o]
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I'd reiterate Britspin's point. Triathlon training shouldn't just be swim bike run, but also need total body fitness and felxibility. I try to ensure I do at least one general fitness (aerobics class) eash week with light weight high repretition work, stretching / flexibility, core stability, plyometrics and yoga breathing exercises. I'm sometimes the ony male in a room with mirrored walls full of fir sweating women wearing not a lot of lycra. The heart rate is often elevated for the wrong (or right) reasons. I find it helps with al disciplines as the muscles are used to working in all directions.

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Gutted for you mate, but sounds like the right decision. No sense making yourself worse and a very positive step to take control of the situation and cancel the tri.

Britspin makes some interesting points (again) and not something I'd thought about before. And you're right to go for the structured plan... Been meaning to kick mine off again after a few weeks of bits and pieces here and there.

Mental kick up the arse for me. Dust off the schedule Dave!

And best of luck with it Gary, fingers crossed you'll be back in action soon and looking out for all those t-shirts you ironed! [:D]
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    So sorry for you - but a good and brave decision. Fingers crossed that you will heal ready for the next one.

all the best for the training day - and take it easy!

blurredgirl
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Gaz - Sh"$e happens sometimes. Look at it a postive way. It could be a whole lot worse! (it could be me)

Seriously mate. Bummer. Its has to be the right decission though! Heal today and race quick another day!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Unlucky, but don't worry, there are plenty of good races out there and missing one isn't the end of the world. Let the injuries heal and set yourself a new target. In a few months' time you'll laugh at how worked up you were over missing a silly race.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    That's a shame, still..on the bright side, it's better to get things sorted now rather than later down the line! When you get back to it you'll be even more motivated...but do remember to stretch (& I know it's tedious)even when not training as they are so important and help with those niggley injuries & that core work is also a MUSTl!!

Good luck with the physio and recovery!!
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Bummer. Not good but it will prob do you good to have some time off. I didn't do much while I was staying with Jess other than laze on the beach coz the waves were too big for sea swimming and my surfing abilities and I felt great coming back to it yesterday. All those niggles and aches had subsided. Just don't stress yourself out about it all and remember you are doing the sensible thing and once you start the physio you can get to the bottom of the problems x
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Sorry to hear that Gary, but you are really doing the right thing by cancelling. A few days rest really will do you good, even if it is just in meaning that you will want to train more.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Wasn't caused by too much time on your feet ironing tee shirt motifs was it???

A step back now will mean ten steps forward in future and your decision belied a wisdom beyond your photos!!!
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Just rest up Gaz - I injured my knee earlier this year and the physio advised to stop running for 4-5 weeks. I was aching to get out, but knew it was the right thing to do to recover fully.

Focus on the positives - you've got Conehead's training weekend #2 in 3 days, and you'll get to meet me. Double bubble!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It's the right decision.

Tough to do, but you'll look back and realise you've made the right one.

However, there is a lot that you can still do, without having to do any running. See the phyiso - get some exercises. You might have to end up joining a gym though!

Don't get disheartened, working round/through injuries is all part of the fun. At least, that's what I tell myself [:)].

On the bright side, you'll have even more time for posting on here.

Or you could focus on cycling for a bit - you've obviously got potential to do well there - get some TTs entered.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    You may feel gutted,but it is always better to do too little than too much.So you cannot race,have you thought about contacting the organisers and asking for a deffered race entry till next year in return for assisting with the race on the day.Most organisers will not give a refund due to various reasons,but an offer to help with marshallin etc they may look favourably at either free entry next year or at least reduced cost entry,no harm in asking,plus you get to watch others make mistakes that you would not make in your next race,chear up it may seem like the world has come to an end but it just makes you reassess your priorities,all the best for a swift recovery.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    You guys are great, you've not only given me hope going forward (this is sounding rather dramatic!!!), but you have also re-affirmed my belief that this forum and triathlon as a whole is brill (to use an old 80's word for 'great').

Thanks everyone, I'll be back soon enough.

In the mean time, i'll increase the post count (which has been suffering of late due to feeling sorry for myself).

[8|]

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    love the new icon Gary

no injuries but full of cold so training on hold grrrrrrr
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • LeezarLeezar Posts: 36
    Sorry to hear that you have had to pull out of your race.

I like you are suffering with shin splints my problem was trying to do too much in too little time...

in my surfing of the internet i found this useful site posted by an ex runner plagued by shin splints and now trainer, the site contains many physio exercises and detailed reasons for your problems.

http://www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Education/shin_splints.htm

I have been following many of the treatments he brings to light. With 7 days of full rest, now im able to continue to train in all aspects and run all be it reduced sessions and distance but with excessive warm up and taking ibuprofen prior to running and the use of a hot water bottle I am able to run pain free and now have no pain after running and the following day. I feel I’m on the mend since the terrible pain experienced just over 2 weeks ago. Hoping to be able to slowly increase training load over the coming weeks (a lot slower this time)

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    On thing that I'm really paying more attention to recently is proper stretching after training, paying particular attention to the big leg muscles - quads, hams, aductors, ITB, calves & hip flexors. Don't mean the token 3/4 mins, but more like 15-20. I'd been guilty of thinking I could get away with less, because I was going out training again the same day or whatever. Wrong.

Has made a huge difference to my overall recovery, and no more little aches and pains the next day. A sports massage every now and again doesn't do any harm either. It sounds obvious, but I really need to take the time for proper rest & recovery otherwise I know it'll eventually come back to haunt me. Not saying this is what happened to you, but worth bearing in mind - For me anyway, sometimes it's easy to get a bit carried away thinking 'I'm so unprepared - must do more!'
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I'm feeling better now having ordered a wetsuit....funny what shopping does for you!