Home Chat General Chat

New Bike

SLSL Posts: 5
I didn't buy one but the boardman comp got terrific reviews when i was looking. 5 out of 5 in all tests for budget / started bikes....i didnt get one cause i like to train along a canal on mine so i bought a hybrid bike.

and dont knock halfrauds.....the bikehut part is not bad at all....lol

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    with entry level bikes there is a lot of choice and sometimes not much in the way of difference! provided they all feel comfortable i almost wonder if colour is the best reason to choose a particular ride.

from that list i'd probably do the scr2, if memory serves i think it has very slightly better spec than the new defy2. if you can stretch to the boardman then it is a bike that has attracted some excellent reviews and many happy owners.

to muddy the waters a bit... trek, specialized allez, bianchi, cube aerial. the latter in particular are fantastic looking bikes with good spec for the money. tiny bit more aggressive a ride than the giant/spesh frames as well, if you are looking for that sort of thing.

i'd really recommend you go down to a shop to try a couple out - i gave an spesh allez sport and cube aerial a go last year and plumped for the spesh based on their ride.

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    andyb99 wrote:
    and dont knock halfrauds.....the bikehut part is not bad at all....lol

"Run by cyclists, for cylists" is their strapline - when I was in at the weekend and asked if I could test ride a Boardman, I was told no as if I did then the bike would be "used" and thus harder to sell.
  • SLSL Posts: 5
    Having done two sprint triathlons on my mountain bike with reasonable success I'm looking to buy a road bike to make life a bit easier and to improve my times. I'd also look to use the bike for commuting ~15 miles to work.

My budget is around £500-600 for the bike and I've been overwhelmed with the choice of bikes and opinions on them all. The choice appears to be Giant Defy 2.5 (£575 via work discount scheme), Giant SCR 2 (£585 - 2008 model), Fuji Newest 1.0 (£500 - 2008 model) or if I pushed the budget the Boardman Comp (£649 - but it's Halfords).

Any advice would be welcome

cheers Scott
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    MrSquishy wrote:
    "Run by cyclists, for cylists" is their strapline - when I was in at the weekend and asked if I could test ride a Boardman, I was told no as if I did then the bike would be "used" and thus harder to sell.

that is gold. i wouldn't shell out £250 on a bike i couldn't take around the car park. sadly, it seems that that bikehut was 'run by bike-shaped-object riders, for bike-shaped-object riders'
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    ris wrote:
    ORIGINAL: MrSquishy

that is gold. i wouldn't shell out £250 on a bike i couldn't take around the car park. sadly, it seems that that bikehut was 'run by bike-shaped-object riders, for bike-shaped-object riders'

Lol, you're both right, actually when i was in i bought a trail bike for my mrs...just cause it was a bargain really...guy said...i think i should be able to PDI it within ten mins....i said 'whats PDI'?

he didn't know.....hahahaha

it dawned on me 'Pre Delivery Inspection' so i set him straight.

the boardman bikes are good though
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    I have the cboardman team carbon - excellent bike.

Expect at least a 10% discount to bring you close to budget.

G
  • LeezarLeezar Posts: 36
    i just got a trek 1.2 from my LBS they was exceptionally helpful and the bike is a dream compared to my mountain bike, saved about 8 mins over 20k. I’m no pro in regards to road bikes but could be worth a look at the link. I could not find any cheaper online and they even throw in a computer and bottle cage (not cheap rubbish either)

They sell through a site with free delivery

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/Template.aspx?prodID=4573

• have had a boardman comp for about a year now, found the bike its self excellent, but halfords! dont get me started! if there was any way you could get these great bikes with out going through them i could'nt recommend them highly enough, BUT............ The only way around it is to buy through halfords and then go to your lbs with your head bowed low in shame to be set up, why chris boardman ever allowed his name to be shamed by these fools i will nver understand. rant over.