Home Chat General Chat

Brighton Swim

BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
I'm just wondering how many folks here would be interested/able to meet up for a quick jolly in the sea down Brighton way? I want to get some open water swimming under my belt and get used to my wetsuit again.

Comments

• B,

Sounds like agreat idea when were you thinking of doing something?

Justin (HAppy)
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I'm thinking some time towards the end of August as I'm pretty busy until then. Gives people plenty of notice as well.
  • ianogbornianogborn Posts: 64
    count me in as hopefully by then i will of had my plate taken out of my arm and i will be able to use that as a training session to aid recovery
  • drbobgossdrbobgoss Posts: 1
    could well be up for a bit of that, providing it's a weekend
  • peterparkypeterparky Posts: 59
    Hi Bonus

Sounds good as i am doing Seaford 4 Sept - Novice though only 200m swim, hardly worth it i know! But the sea i am sure is a different animal to my lovely calm swimming pool!! (Apart from the bloody old grannies).

End of Aug would be great.

Cheers

Ian
    Ok, I'm currently going to be looking at the 27th of August for this then. Anyone else keen?
    Bonus

are you doing Seaford in Sept? looks a v fast course don't really come much flatter.

Definitely good for 27th post details nearer the time.
  • rebborebbo Posts: 58
    I'm on, Bonus - am also doing Seaford (did Novice last year Ian & stretching to sprint this year) but am away on 27th. Could we do a week earlier? And does "Brighton way" mean Brighton or Seaford?
    Rebbo

How was it at Seaford and the swimming in the sea bit? If any of tyou guys live near the coast how are you finding the seagulls! had a few near misses, they can come low. and are bloody big.

Ian
    I was thinking of Brighton, but if Seaford is the better for a swim I'm open to suggestions. Just Brighton I think is easier for most people to get to.

Date wise the 19th would be preferable for me if we are going to move it. How does that sit with you Peter?
    Hi guys

Yes no probs 19th would suit as well. Brighton or seaford is fine i just live down the coast, just make sure their are plenty of lifeguards about! Me and swimming brick etc! Just like to get my toes wet in open water before seaford so i don't look like a complete prat.

keep me posted.

ps Anyone done the white oak in Swanley(kent) having a go sunday

Ian
  • waterbabywaterbaby Posts: 10
    Just joined the forum and seeing your banter would love to swim. Raced at Bournemouth this weekend and adored it! Been swimming in heron lake near staines, don't know if you have been there?? great but not the same as the sea.
    cool - let's pencil in the 19th at Seaford then. Anyone have any constraints (I'll be coming down from Peterborough, so not TOO early a start please!) on the time?
    Ok, I'm going for the 19th then.

Time wise I was thinking 1100 as it gives folk time to get some brekky, get there, have a couple hours swimming (could be ambitious given my fitness but hey!) then lunch before heading home? (I'm quite keen to revisit the Gourmet Burger Bar!! Superb fillet beef burgers. Unless we have any vegeterians but thats detail for later).

On the 90% confirmed list so far:

BonusB

Rebbo (&wife?)

Waterbaby (&friend?)

peterparky

Any others?
    excellent, think a girly friend will also be joining us, depending on shifts. Have 6 weeks off over the summer so open to any other dates too. Its a hard life!!!

Is that the same as gourmet burger company in London? the best burgers EVER!
    It is indeed though I have yet to have the pleasure of the London one!!

The more the merrier [:D]
    figure sort out meet up nearer the time??

Gotta watch out for the milkhakes, very yummy but if your not carefull very easy to gussle it down and then feel rather sick! Ill never learn!
    I didn;t have a milkshake last time a we'd just finished London to Brighton and were on a liquid diet of beer at the time [8D]

As to times happy to sort it out later but if people are constrained its easier to get some idea now.
    The Wife should be there too. Although she is an excellent swimmer, so I may not bring her, since she makes me look (even more) awful...
    August is creeping up on us and wondering whose still keen and if there are any other takers?
    I'm still on - but The Wife has ruled herself out.
    Hi Bonus / guys

yes still in but worried how far you guys will be going etc.Any plans?

Looking more for advice in the water, no open water experience couldn't do a bloody length 4months ago - doing the novice at seaford 3rd sept which is only 200m (can do 1000m in pool now - blowing out my arse!) so as long as i manage that it will do me. Won't have wetsuit etc. I can always eat ice cream on the beach and watch! Cycling up from bexhill.

Still seaford 19th Aug time?

Regards

Ian
  • DamoDamo Posts: 4
    Bruce,

I'm still planning on doing this, I'm also entered for Seaford and will need the practise! First ever triathlon and in at the deep end so to speak as I'm going to try and do the olympic [&:]

Damian
    I'm still looking at meeting in Brighton, most likely by the main peer as thats nice and easy to find. Time isn't sorted yet.

Safety wise I'll see who turns up, what everyones different levels are and then we'll work it from there, ideally I'd like to work in buddy pairs (same as diving), and I was trying to convince a friend to come down and canoe with us! But I failed. Peter, I'd highly recommend getting a wetsuit to start getting used to it, plus the benefits of being more bouyant and warmer when swimming in the sea (not sure about Seaford but if it is open water they will be comulsory, so it may even be worthwhile finding somewhere in Brighton that will hire them out). Failing that duck grease or whatever the channel swimmers have to use [:'(]

not the biggest of deals - but did we not say Seaford instead of Brighton? That way we could swim the course (assuming the bouys are still there) and everyone can get directions off the fun2tri website. Would be much easier to park that Brighton seafront in summer hols season too!

Tom
    Looking through the thread it was never really agreed where we would actually do this.

I'm thinking Seaford would be the best of the two mainly as Rebbo said, it's holiday season and Brighton is pretty awful for parking. Likewise there may be course markers out but theres no gaurentee of that. Also there are some of us actually competing there.

http://www.fun2tri.co.uk/Southcoast-new/index.htm

Its not that much futher to Seaford for me. Is that ok for everyone else interested?
    Ok, the weekend is nearly upon us!!

I'm reckoning on a morning swim, say around 11:00 somewhere in Seaford, and then lunch afterwards for anyone interested? I have no idea about facilities for changing etc though.

http://www.fun2tri.co.uk/Southcoast-new/index.htm

It may be an idea that everyone interested PM me their phone numbers so we can contact each other on the day. Can everyone please confirm if they want in or not?

Interested parties:

BonusB

Rebbo

Waterbaby (&friend?)

peterparky

Damo

Cheers

Bruce
  • Bonus - sorry fella but i am out of this one i,m afraid. family commitments.

Regards

Ian
    No worries. Cheers for letting me know.
    Well folks, anyone whose interested!

I'll be down in Seaford for 1100 tomorrow meeting up with Rebbo and possibly Damo. Anyone else who want to turn up feel free.

Hope to see you there!