Home Chat General Chat

New running trainers with race next week?

[toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
I've just bought some new trainers that I've obviously not run in yet and I have my first dualaton next wednesday.

As it's only a 2mile/10mile/2mile will it be ok to wear the new trainers or should I stick with the old ones until after?

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Train in them, see how they feel, OK? then race in them...not OK? then go with the oldies.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    He's right!
  • Cautionary tale - I ran a race in new trainers once, they rubbed blisters all over my feet and I was left with a lovely decoration of blood all over the left heel - moral - never race in new trainers!

Annie
  • LimeycatLimeycat Posts: 29
    Have to say, I had the exact opposite experience from Annie.

I was having a nightmare in training coming up to my first Race for Life a few years ago - shin splits meant I couldn't run more than a few hundred yards. Bought a new pair of trainers the week before, never even wore them outside the house, but decided on the day to run in them as I figured they couldn't make me feel any worse than I had in training. I floated round Hyde Park, on one of the hottest days of the year, and beat my mate (who had consistently left me for dead in training) by almost 10 minutes!

<disclaimer>That's just my experience tho, not necessarily a recommendation! [:D] </disclaimer>

• [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Gonna take them out for a 5k in the morning and see how I get on.

Because it's only a short run in the dualathon I think I'll end up using them anyway, but shall see how it goes until then.

• Neil OBrienNeil OBrien Posts: 21
    I used to have lots of "new starts" on site , and they allways had bad feet from new boots, we allways used to tell them to pee on there feet to tuff them up ! cant say ive tryed this but allways made for a good joke the next day !

i did however recently race in new trainers which i had not worn out side, and managed a PB 5k on both runs ? no blisters or out

If you feel good in them why not [:D]
    Neil OBrien wrote:

I used to have lots of "new starts" on site , and they allways had bad feet from new boots, we allways used to tell them to pee on there feet to tuff them up ! cant say ive tryed this but allways made for a good joke the next day !

i did however recently race in new trainers which i had not worn out side, and managed a PB 5k on both runs ? no blisters or out

If you feel good in them why not [:D]

Well I've been running in my old ones with not socks so my feet have toughed up quite a lot.

I also got a 5k PB yesterday morning in my old ones so will see if I can beat it tomorrow morning.

• Neil OBrienNeil OBrien Posts: 21
    In the new trainers ?
    Neil OBrien wrote:

In the new trainers ?

Yep

So wednesday morning got a new PB in old trainers with 21.27

Tried out the new ones this morning and managed 21.14! Felt so much nicer. Gonna have a couple of longer runs in them to get used to them a bit more now.
    Took the new trainers out for a 10k this morning, planned for it to be just a gentle run, didn't look at my watch to keep a track of time and ended up only 2mins slower than my previous PB in the old trainers.

Well pleased and looking forward to trying a full speed run later next week.