Home Chat General Chat

commuting by bike and tapering

risris Posts: 1,002
i've got my first race of the year (also my first OD) in 10 days time. i've been training for about 7-8 weeks, generally following a 12wk OD guide from the 220mag. originally i was following it to do city of bath OD in july but managed to get a place at cricklade tri and wanted to give it a go.

i get most of my bike training by commuting 12miles to work, usually 3or4 days a week and try to fit in a longer ride at weekends.

i know i should be tapering next week and letting the muscles get a bit back after the training so wondered if i should back off the commute rides as a result. i can take the train or car instead, it just seems a shame not to enjoy the bike in nice weather.

i'd welcome any advice from the experienced triathletes out there!

Comments

• just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Ris - I am no expert and not a seasoned triathlete, but I commute ....

Is it 12 miles each way or in total? What sort of time does it normally take? You could still commute but change the intensity for one of the rides each day. This way you taper the intensity but you can still commute.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hi riz, I agree with just2tri. I also do most cyling as my commute so before races, I just drop the intensity of the ride into work. Drop a gear and take it easy in the last few days, pack in the carbs and it should be fine. I find the ride in helps with calming pre-race nerves too, the exception being when surrounded by chelsea tractor drivers who rely on sensors to tell them how big their own car is!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    thankS bman and just2tri, my commute is a bit under 12mi each way, taking the a4 from chippenham to bath and back. generally a pleasant commute although hacking it up box hill gets a bit tiresome after the first mile.

usually manage the route to work in 39-40mins and the return leg is 36-38mins. i think the difference is down to traffic and colder muscles. i'm hoping to get my average speed above 20mph by the end of the summer...

i slightly worry about my ability to reduce intensity on the commute! there is a little voice in my head that says 'faster, you can hit the pb today, faster!' i shall just have to set the mind the right way and do the right thing when i get on the bike.

if it helps with the pre-race nerves then it's got to be worth keeping up with.
    Ris, I do the 12 mile commute each way, but the London traffic usually takes it's toll ... what worked for me is to make a plan on which day of the week I am pushing hard to get a new PB and what days are easier recovery rides, like after a long/hard run or bike. But you are right, sometimes the little voice gets me too ....
  • halfanironmanhalfanironman Posts: 129
    man, i have a marathon on monday, and i have not run all week.

my last run b4 the marathon will have been a 23 miler, 8 days b4 hand.

i did upper body weights on sunday ,a 50k bike on the hills on monday, and a long swim on tusday, and nothing since.

i wonder will i cutting it to close if i do a 5 mile run tomorrow {fri}??

marathon on monday.
  • steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    i find im going to take it easy into work then once im out my front door i cant help but turn the wheels faster than i have done before ....its the voice in my head saying "come on push it , push it" you will be alright and i arrive at work with a raised heart-beat....great in it??!!
    just2tri wrote:

Ris, I do the 12 mile commute each way, but the London traffic usually takes it's toll ... what worked for me is to make a plan on which day of the week I am pushing hard to get a new PB and what days are easier recovery rides, like after a long/hard run or bike. But you are right, sometimes the little voice gets me too ....

having a plan of where/when to rest or put the hammer down sounds like a good idea. i might give it a go next week.

i realised this evening that the voice has a further downside - i get pissed off when cars/pedestrians 'ruin' my personal commute time-trial! seems like i get a car on my right at every roundabout, zebra crossing with 40 people all in single file... [;)]

Yep, you are so right, ris! That's why I am now using my bike computer to establish PB for cycling time only, rather than the time it takes from home to work. Sometimes I hit 10 red lights, zebra crossing and whatever else and it takes a whole 5 minutes longer, even though I am riding faster. So I started in May to also record net cycling time - helps a lot to see if you are improving or not.
    having to slow down for the red lights though, the cheek of it!

i tried a gentle ride this morning and was 95% successful, i spent all of it on the hoods and made a mental note to drop a gear to keep it spinnier. i was going really well until i saw another cyclist about 200yards from the office, the little voice started shouting and i was needlessly chasing them down!

surprisingly i wasn't as slow as i thought, i think there is a benefit to being smoother and lighter on the pedals. something to practice.