Home Chat General Chat

Sussex Tri Bike Route

Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
Does anyone know the Sussex Tri bike route? I've not been able to get down there to check it out. Are there any nasty hills? Is it all well signposted? Any big roundabouts or junctions? Other gotchas?

Was thinking I might drive down there tomorrow and suss it out perhaps, but if all of the above are a no, then it's probably not worth the effort.

Comments

• BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Yep - did it last year and have ridden it a few times. My opinion:

Quite hilly, with two nasties about half-way through.

Very well sign posted, it's basically left-turns all the way with marshals at each turn.

Small roads, very pretty, goes under the Haywards Heath viaduct

Definitely worth a suss-out if you've not done it before.

What's your start time on Sunday?

blurredgirl

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Thanks for the feedback BG - I'm not sure now if I'll be able to get down there today, but will try late this evening. Should I be worried about these hills then? Are they long or just steep, or both? Eeek.

Starting really early - &.40. Will be long finished before you start I think (at least, that's the theory ;o)). Will come over to cheer you on. Hope you have a great race yourself - know you were stressing a wee bit the other day, but you'll be fine. Enjoy it!
  • Cycled the route earlier this week. As Blurred said, there are a couple of nasty hills. I think the worst is in the first few kilometres though. Once you take the first left turn at the crossroads, the route is pretty quick after that.

For a heads up though, once you have gone under the railway bridge which I think is at about 18km, you start climbing a hill. A short way up the hill, you take a left turn. Make sure you are in a low gear, as the road rises steeply for a few metres.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Nice one! Thanks guys. Have a good race tomorrow!
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Good luck to everyone else doing the Sussex Triathlon tomorrow. My kit is all laid out, bike is ready, even got a couple of drinks bottles cooling in the fridge!

Very nervous, and certainly not ready, but with a lovely sunny day forecast and a favourite bike route to do, am FINALLY really looking forward to it.

Good luck all - maybe see you there? Me = small, blonde, short legs, classic Celeste Bianchi, cheap Orca tri-suit, 40-45 age group, scared-looking.

blurredgirl

• brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    good luck guys...report back! looks like it's going to be a fab day for it