Home Chat General Chat

ironman lanzarote race report

EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
What an amazing race... I would like to say to anyone thinking of doing an ironman - just do it. it is an truly amazing experience.

We lucked out on the weather on race day as the sea was flat calm so had a great swim - i finished in 66 minutes so happy with the swim.

The bike was perfect - not too windy as i has deep section wheels an 808 on the back and jet 50 on the front. i only weight 10.5 stone and didn't struggle at all. Bike course is tough but spending the last 5 months of my life in richmond park paid off. - my nutrition worked really well, never felt too tired and never felt like bonking

Bike time 6.01

the run was tough but long brick sessions helped me cope. Quite enjoyed running laps as it was a good reference for me. lap 3 was the toughest as it felt neither here nor there. It wasn't too hot either as it was partly cloudy. Again practising nutrition when training really paid off. had gels, energy drinks and water for first 2.30 then switched to coke and bananas for last 90 minutes

marathon 4.00

I finished with an overall time of 11.20, 270th overall which was way beyond my expectations and for my first ironman i was really chuffed.

these are a few tips i think helped me -

1. don;t believe everything don fink says - listen to your body as much as you listen to him.

2. BIKE BIKE BIKE BIKE - it is all about the bike for me. Don't listen to that prat in 220 - mark somebody - he wrote the lanzarote race preview last month. Although he has done 9000 ironmans i felt he constantly tries to scare you into how tough it is going to be and how you would be mad to do it on a tri bike and if you wear an aero helmet you will die, and if you use deep section wheels you may as well jump of a cliff... I did it on my cannondale slice with deep section wheels and an aero helmet. My head did not fry and i was comfortable for the whole 6 hours. HOWEVER, whatever you choose to do it on ride all your long sessions on that bike and feel confident in your choice. It is about what you feel comfortable doing not what some one tells you. Also a lot of the age groupers were also on tri bikes...

3. practise your nutrtion for as long as you can before the race. I always rode with the same nutrtition strategy - even on 2 hour bike rides. it helps you feel comfortable on the day.

I had 1/4 powerbar chocky every 20 mins plus about 750 ml powerbar energy drionk per hour. it may not work for you but just practise what does. I cut up my powerbars into 1/4s and had them into a bento box - easy to eat and easy to get at.

4. don't leave anythihg to chance on the day, down to what socks you are going to wear on bike, run etc.

5. the more training you put in now the more you will enjoy the day.

6. enjoy every minute of it - i kept having to pinch myself as i couldn't belive i was actually in the race.

7. your mind will play some nasty tricks on you in the week before the race - try and remain calm

hope this helps. I will now go to windsor in 2 weeks totally over confident and blow up on the bike no doubt.

Comments

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Glad you had a top race and surpassed your goals for 'The Main Event'!

Useful tips, and I will be sure to heed them as I build to IMUK. Which reminds me - time to go bike!!! [:D]
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Bloody well done! Great time and a sounds like everything went to plan.

Big congratulations to you... No desire to do an Ironman just yet (thinking Middle distance next year), but you've definitely stoked the fires with your report.

Glad it went so well for you!

• BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Ironman??? Whassat then?! Can't see me ever making it to that so well done; sounds like you did brilliantly!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Well done excellent time for what many say is the toughest ironman.

G
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Excellent time for a first (or indeed any) ironman!

Well done, obviously well thought out and planned which clearly paid off on the day.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Nicely done :D - great time and great report

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    What was your training plan?
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Wow, brilliant and congratulations! Really great report. Would love to see your training program, especially your bike ride details in Richmond Park.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Fantastic! Great result, great report, and super tips. Best of all, it's got me dreaming....
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Great times - super well done. Great tips as well. Nice work.
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    spot on effort. seems you prepared really well, and deserved that great result. top effort again. hope i can replicate at IMUK
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Really inspiring, well done. Gives me hope.

blurredgirl

• brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    that's brilliant edstg! and slashing your time will leave you high all week! great report....good to know good prep really does pay off