Home Chat General Chat

To run in cycle shorts or cycle in running shorts?

[toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
Got my first dualathon on wednesday and no more money for kit.

Which would be best?

Comments

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Have you got a trisut? Do it in that if you have, if not I'll let others advise as I have done neither.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    No trisuit, first tri is not until july.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Hmmm... a choice between a sore arse or looking like you're running with a nappy on?

Also, you might get a bit of chafing on the run from the padding. I'm guessing your cycle shorts aren't the type you can remove the padding from? This would be the way to go if you can.

Probably not though. My personal choice would be cycling shorts and extra vaseline for the run.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    How long is the duathlon ? 2m 10m 2m ?

If its only a 10 or 15 mile bike then I would use running shorts - much easier to run in and still ok for the bike - I wouldn't fancy running too far in proper padded cycling shorts.

Just use some good lube ;)

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Having never been in this predicament myself i find it interesting! Depending on the length of time in the saddle i would probably go with the running shorts on the bike, i think my arse has become hardened to the harsh conditions of my saddle anyway, whereas running in heavy padding could get difficult.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    if it's a short-ish bike and you've got some cream available then use the running shorts. trying to run propperly in proper padded cycle shorts sounds like a nightmare.

might be worth looking out for some tri-shorts for july though. you should be able to pick some up quite cheaply if you scout around.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    The Castle Coombe circuit is quite smooth, and if it is the standard 10 mile ride then I have done this twice without padded shorts without any discomfort. I just wore some thigh length compression type shorts under my running shorts which prevent any chaffing related injuries.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    It is the standard 2mile/10mile/2mile.

I did a full distance practice on monday in my running shorts and it wasn't too bad. Think i'll probably go with that on race day. Thanks for all the replies!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Think in terms of speed. Will running shorts slow you down on the bike? Nope. Will cycling shorts slow you down on the run? Yep.

Go with running shorts mate. No brainer.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Go Old school and wear speedos with abit of vaseline.If you didn't fancy that,running shorts.
  • Get yourself down to Aldi, they have a load of cycling kit in there at the moment. Try getting some of there padded underwear, the pad is about the same size as in a Tri suit and will give you a little bit of comfort on the bike but not restrict you on the run. At about £3 you have nothing to loose.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    My first tri was in cycle shorts and they didn't bother me at all - but then my first result was rubbish!

The bike is the part where you will gain or lose most from any change in efficiency and I would be inclined to go with the cycle shorts. Having said that, what sort of running shorts do you have, flappy split to the hip types or leg hugging lycra? If the latter then go with those I would say

Unfortunately the moment something has 'traithlon' on it it doubles in price. Just done a quick search on ebay and cycle shorts and running shorts (lycra) from about £10, triathlon shorts £40! But we still buy the stuff don't we!

Good luck and let us know how you got on.
  • hazohazo Posts: 18
    Always race duathlons in cycling shorts.

Luckily saggy shorts are hidden by my fat arse[:D]
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    For me it would definitely be running shorts. 10 miles on the bike is nothing, with or without padding but trying to run with a chamois between the legs would surely create a waddle the likes of which would make Jemima Puddleduck green with envy!
  • For the event described I wouldn't consider anything other than runwear.

However, changing the distance a little I'm doing Vitruvian 70.3 (my first middle distance) and was wondering the impact of 55 miles in the saddle in my tri suit. I think they have closed changing areas for IM but not sure about 70.3. I guess if not then it'll have to be a tri suit and lots of lube?
  • yeah , i do cycling in Russell Athletic 660PMM Shorts

• Try the Ontex Regular insert incontinence pads. Under £5. Slip it in before each run. Your ass will thank you on the cycle ride. Any worries about runners diarrhoea or a wee stop will be a distant memory.