Home Chat General Chat

Broken bones and bike 9 weeks before IMUK

Came off my bike at 73kph this afternoon, lots of road rash, fractured collarbone, and completely snapped my forks and bashed my bike.

1 week before Weymouth, and 9 weeks before IMUK! ARGH! [:@] Had my whole season based around this, ll hopes of sub-11 hours are out of the window, not even sure if I will be able to complete the swim, so so so annoyed!

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    arh man, so sorry to hear that news......what did the doc say about recovery time?

and how did you get to 73kph - and then come off?

What fitness training can you do with your injuries?

• halfanironmanhalfanironman Posts: 129
    bad news sorry n all, but 73kph?

thats a big off. you should be happy your alive.

thats a shade off 50 mph. christ on a bike it must have been rough.

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    oh....and do you want to take ownership of my profile pic?
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Yeah I was very lucky, could have been a hell of a lot worse. My helmet took a lot of the impact.

Was descending and took a corner too wide and hit a pothole in the side of the road and ended up 20m down the road. Got to wait to see the fracture clinic for healing times, hopefully as the fracture isnt too bad, I should be back running and out on the bike on the roads in 4/5 weeks, swimming could be anything, depends how much movement I lose in my shoulder, and how quickly I can train again, just got to take it day by day. Could be hit and miss for the swim. Hopefully I can get on the turbo in a fews days and keep the legs ticking over.

Haha thanks Gary, might put my road rash up...
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    i am so so sorry to hear that. training for the IMUK myself i know how much time effort and sacrifice has to go in. everything is crossed for you, hope your fractures not too bad.

speedy recovery
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Hubby fractured collarbone last year - he was not able to swim for 8-10 weeks (sorry, probably not what you want to hear) and even then it was stiff and painful.

Nasty injury - very painful indeed by all accounts - all the best for a good recovery. My husband also did his in May and missed virtually the entire season. Boy was he fed up!

blurredgirl

• Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Keeping everything crossed for you Tim! Try not to get too impatient about getting back into training as a couple of weeks too soon could mean a couple of months longer in recovery.

So glad that it wasn't a lot worse-thats one hell of a speed to hit the road at.....
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    gosh you poor thing...apart from the pain, the frustration you now feel about IMUK....i definitely feel for you...best of luck recovering and cheryl's right...make sure you take the time to get back on your feet...

wow 74k!!! man that's fast....
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Jeez...what a crash at 70kpm...it hurts doing a side plant when standing still yet alone....!!![:o] Get better / fixed soon!!
  • LeezarLeezar Posts: 36
    That is a BIG off!!!

wish you all the best and hope you can get back in full training soon.
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Bad news agent, I too had a close shave today at 72kph, didn't see the pothole until it was too late. I was lucky this time as the bike just bounced out of it (phew!!)

I too broke my collar bone - and I can empathise as the pain is excruciating. It took about 6 weeks for me to recover, but I was not swimming at the time, but at 9 weeks I was able to pass an army medical - so there is a slight chance, I guess it just depends on the type of break and how fast your body recovers.

Got my fingers crossed for you mate.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Thanks for all the support guys. Hoping to be back on the turbo as soon as my shoulder is stable enough, then keep my legs ticking over until I can do more. In terms of my ironman, currently I am still planning on starting, and if my shoulder is not up to full strength by then, then 3.8k on single arm it is!