Home Chat General Chat

Hawaii 70.3 race report - I like myself deep fried please

Hat off, that's all I can say. Sounds cruel, beautiful, excruciating, fantastic and unbelievable at the same time. Congratulations!

Comments

• joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Wow....big, massive, respectful congratulations & what a race report...I was feeling the heat from my sofa, so had to rush and get a beer just to cool down! Are you gutted you missed a place by 10mins or just elated to have finished?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Congrats & well done you madman.....think I will stick to sprints...
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    wow that's an amazing report...i admire you as i know i couldn't have done that...not in a million years...love the sound of the swim tho...

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Sounds amazing and terrible at the same time, excellent effort!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It's taken me two large cool beers just to read this.

Awesome.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Well done on finishing and coming 57th, sounds like you had it hard, great report.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Amazing conehead!! Sounds really really really tough!!!

sorry about the world champs but well done for finishing 57!!

Will.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Coney,

You doing anymore full Ironmans?

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    awesome

remind me to curtsey when I see you next
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    fantastic race report, and GREAT racing.

HERO!!!

didds

• steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    your the man!!! please train me !!![;)]
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    blindin' report dazza............that's what its all about isn't it? the very nature of the challenge is what makes triathlon what it is........very special.

you did good.

• Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I was trying to follow you on the athlete tracker on Ironman.com but its very slow updating and I was worried that you had got lost on the bike course as by 11.10pm English time, it still hadnt showed you as finishing the bike leg let alone starting the run.

A friend of mine is currently doing ironman brasil and its not even showing his swim split yet and I don't know whether to be worried that something went horrendously wrong on the swim (he was expecting sub on hour) or chill out believing thats its the site not updating....

Very well done to you, awesome race and gripping race report!
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Equal amounts brutal yet amazing tale there chief. You did brilliant, and only small disappointment for not making the world champs, but as you say, that was the limit of what you could do on the day, so nothing to be annoyed about. Can't believe you found the will to go on with your lungs on fire.

Do you think you'll do anything differently in preparation for next year?
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Nice one Mr Conehead :D - congrats on finishing it - and in a very very respectable time - I did check your placings a few times on Ironman.com to see how you was getting on

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Well done Darren.... that was a cracking read... I was feeling your pain just reading that.

Well done - head held high.
  • WoolyWooly Posts: 63
    Congrats Conehead, Awesome report and the race sounds brutal!

Have to say though it was a bit warm back here over the weekend but the beers helped![;)]

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Absolute class.. both the report and your best efforts.

Well done mate, you are an inspiration to us all.

Cheers
  • What an amazing race report, congratulations on finishing it firstly and your placing, sounds brilliant to me!!
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Wow. Respect.

blurredgirl
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    great race report conehead, the run sounds like the most greulling thing i've ever heard in a race. i was thinking up i would love to run in glorious summer sun, now i'm not so sure!

do you get a few days recovery in the sun and clear water? i hope so, you have earned it.
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    sounds like a great race, not a bad race report but read a much better one about a bloke racing in lanxzarote!

With my 3rd kid due in august i am thinking of racing some 70.3 races next year, and this one sounds amazing.

Great result
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Much doffing of cap!! Fantastic report and well earned repspect.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I can't really add anything that hasn't been said, but such huge respect for a, finishing, and b, getting so highly placed. Well done! Hope the burning eases up soon!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Well done Conehead. To be fair, you have done something that most of us can only dream.

Its an inspiration to us all and certainly gives me the motivation.

Well Done.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Cool report dyde! It sounds like a magical place to swim! Safe journey home! Lets jope the Bomber knows which plane to get on the next day!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Well done. Very mature attitude about missing out on the Worlds. I never beat myself up about missing a target if I've done my best. Making silly transition errors or stuff like that are avoidable but suffering from heat exhaustion is out of your control.
  • Im actually in pain reading that!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Interesting that your tyres popped. Was it heat related?

My rear tyre went bang this weekend, splitting the tyre wall with it. Luckily I was a 10 min walk from a bike shop in the only town we passed through on the whole ride, and also luckily that it wasn't 5 mins earlier when I was doing 58kph downhill!

We were only talking as we set out that we should allow for rising temperatures. If you pump your bike really hard when it's cold and then temperatures rise markedly that's what can happen.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Great race! Really well earned finish, that must be a brutal experience. Awe inspiring and completely unforgiving course... congrats on your strong finish and being able to completely empty the tank knowing you left it all out there!