Home Chat General Chat

YESTERDAY I BECAME A TRIATHLETE!

Completed OD in TRI ATHY - Irelands fastest and biggest tri!

Racked up at 9.30am lots of friendly people about with lots of fancy gear!

After briefing went to swim start, I was in wave 4. The swim down river for first 1100m went fine, lots of bunching and stayed with those around me - then back upstream for final 300m against the current which was pure hell. Got out feeling dizzy!

swim time 28.52 into transition 1.37 onto bike.

Temperature was rising 21c lots of punctures inc Gavin Noble who was race favourite.Finished the bike after passing a few and my chain coming off! Bike time 1.24 and back to transition which was 1.37 again.

Out in the run temps even hotter. The gels i had been using had my tummy doing somersalts so gave in to walking a bit then with encouragement from passers started of running again. Got to aid station drenched myself with water as I was overheating. Onto lap 2 stomach in absolute bits wanted to get sick - jogged, walked then sprinted the finish 53min for the run which was ok considering.

Final time 2hrs 49min 47 secs for my first triathlon - under 3 hours was my target - so I'm delighted with that. 4 months of training has paid off!!

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Well done. Sounds like a real toughy for the first one! Open water swim, current, then the heat. Good to see you surpassed your expectations, especially with all the mechanical and heat issues. Have a drink!
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Brilliant and especially good swim! Was the swim distance 1400 m? Shame about the upset stomach, but what a great Tri career opener - Congratulations!
  • handangeohandangeo Posts: 32
    sorry swim was 400m back upstream - my maths has also taking a pounding!

[Fraser Cartmell won the main race]
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Congrats on your first tri - great result :D

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Congratulations on finishing, some people would just quit with an upset stomach, glad to see you pushed through, and came good in the end.

Well done.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Seems like you have a bit of a tough time!!

Really well done for hitting your target!!

If next time, you knock off the chain, the stomach and the heat - you'll knock loads of time off !!!