Home Chat General Chat

Do earplugs create a vacuum?

Dunno about the science bit, but I train in the pool with earplugs, but do not wear them for racing - Something different happens between the two.

In the pool I get water stuck in my ear and spend the rest of the day trying to get it out. In a race I get no such problems - wierd !!

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    exertion, I believe, would have helped evacuate your sinuses. I am guessing that pressure differences cause water to be drawn in or flood out as the case may be.
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    ok probably not the best topic for this early in the morning, but here goes...for swimming i have trained wearing ear plugs for last 8 weeks, always suffered after swim with blocked sinus etc..and maybe after a few days excess swim water would come down my nose again, prompting much aplogises about tri training etc..(god knows where it had been stored)

anyway yesterday for the race, went without earplugs, and all 'stored' water came out in T1 and first mile or so on the bike, now feeling fresh and clear today....

so is it a coincidence or are the earplugs doing something strange?

(just never thought i would ask this type of question couple of months ago, what a strange world[:D])
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Do earplugs create a vacuum?

only if your brain shrinks!
  • jellybellyjellybelly Posts: 42
    Dunno about earplugs but when I surf, I evidently take on a brain full of water which usually discharges itself several hours later (in the pub, bending down to look in bag, turning head on phone). I never feel congested but I want to know where this huge volume of water has been stored!! Have to remember to drink with surf types who understand the potential embarrassment of gushing nasal liquid....
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Don't wear them - if I get water in the ear, a few drops of 'Swim Ear' sorts it out. I've been using this after diving for years and it's great. You put a few drops in after swimming and it dries out the ear, and kills any bacteria that could lead to a nasty infection. Not really something you want to work into transition, but neither is removing ear plugs.

Get it at most good dive shops, or from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/SWIM-EAR-DROPS/dp/B000S5MZAA