Home Chat General Chat

Lightly fried

So - Sussex triathlon yesterday. First of the season for me and done on little training and a certain amount of unpreparedness.

There - got the self-deprecation out of the way, here's the report:

Lovely hot day, got to the venue in very good time and got registered, marked up, briefed and into transition without any panic over the time (bad habit of mine).

After a wander around, went over to the pool, only to discover that they were running an hour late with the start times - which was actually really frustrating. We were all psyched up and ready to go and then left waiting in the heat. Not good. Seems that a lot of people had been over-optimistic with their swim times and were going a lot slower than expected.

Eventually got called into the pool and started. Felt good and overtook everyone in my lane - yay! DH yelled lots of encouragment as I fled from the pool and started the slog up to T1.

T1 went pretty smoothly, the only little snag was needing to redo the safety pin on my race number. Note to self - check this more thoroughly next time.

The bike was great! Gorgeous countryside and a bit of a breeze to take the edge off the heat. It's quite a tough course though: pretty hilly and seems to do nothing but climb at first. But very enjoyable. I rode fast, kept hydrated and was delighted with my tri-bars (my first race using them).

Surprised DH by coming into T2 quicker than he was expecting (he was taking photos) and racked the bike. Slipped into the Newtons and set off for the run - my very weakest discipline. Have to say that since my operation I have not got my running right at all, I have really struggled to get anywhere near where I was before, so it was no surprise that I found this leg very hard indeed. And it was hot. But I kept going, passed a few people and eventually huffed my way to the finish and into the arms of DH and a huge drink of water!

Quick nod to DH here - despite the fact that he has a very serious medical condition, wasn't able to do this race that he has been training for and cannot move around very easily without becoming very breathless - he was there on every lap of the run in a different place, shouting encouragment, was upbeat, cheerful and full of enthusiasm and support. What a fantastic husband.

I did sort of OK, would liked to have done better, but I gave it everything I had.:

Swim 500m: 11.50 (includes 2 min jog to T1 - timing mat placed at start of T1 and not just outside the pool as you might expect...)

T1: 1.18

Bike 24km: 51.37

T2: 1.37

Run 5km: 29.02

Overall time = 1.35.23

Category positon = 4

Overall position = 133

Clearly the running needs a lot of work.

Loved it utterly and can't wait for the next one. Thanks again for the support you guys have offered - can't tell you how much that has meant to me.

blurredgirl

Comments

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Well done, well done!! Good stuff! Great race report by the way, just the right length in my opinion.

Really glad you enjoyed it and that the wait in the heat didn't appear to slow you down. I'd be really pleased with those times.

jules-o
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Great Report Blurredgirl, I dream of a 4th placed cat position.

A big shout out to DH for the support, I can't emphasise enough to my friends and family how much having some support at a race means, but all I get is it's too early / far away, so thanks to the likes of DH that turn up just to support the competitors.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Smashing! You've made my day. A great tonic for you, and especially for DH, by the sounds of it. Hope all goes well with the next set of challenges!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Thats a fantastic result with all the stuff you have had going on lately! I am really pleased for you. Sounds like DH did the race in spirit if not body!

Its onwards and upwards from here Blurredgirl. You have done us proud!

• BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Thanks people. Looking for the next one now. Have to squeeze all I can out of this season as I'm going to be laid up AGAIN for a long time come September. Seems these consultants never have actual good news.

Thinking about the Beaulieu Tri - anyone doing this, or have done it? There are some places left.

blurredgirl
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Well done my friend! Fourth in category, what an awesome result!! [:D]
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    OOOOOoooooo......I might look it the Beaulieu! Is a short sprint in a pool or an OW afair?

Have you though about Southampton tri in August? I think its the 30th!
    Ineos Beaulieu appeals because it's OW (starts at Bucklers Hard) and is just slightly over the sprint distances. Could be interesting, but it's a very early start so I need to be looking for accomodation.

http://www.racenewforest.co.uk/09_beaulieu_tri_140609.htm

What do you reckon - want to give it a bash?

blurredgirl
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Blurred, thats a fantastic result and you should be really proud and DH support sounds brilliant, well done DH too!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Hear Hear - well done.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Amazing result Blurredgirl, very well done indeed! I would be happy with a result like that and I haven't had to put up with the challenges you have!

How wonderful to have a hubby like yours - I reckon you must be two pretty special people xx
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    blurredgirl...i reiterate everything that everyone else has said...brilliant race...especially since all the stuff you've been through...great to have support...makes it all the more fun...excellent result too....
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Well done BG - glad to see you attacked it head on. Fair play to you both! Great result.

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

wow amazing

I'm in awe
    Hey Mr.Fantastic-in-Hawaii - how are you doing now? I was deeply inspired by your report.

I might have to sponsor you...!

I'll take you up on that - boy do I need to sort my run out before going for the longer distances.....

blurredgirl
    Thought I'd share a few photos with you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14380548@N02/sets/72157619153539162/

blurredgirl

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Nice! DH is quite useful with the camera, too[:)]. I love the contrast between how tense you look before the start, and how elated you look at the end. Sums up what it's all about!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Great result and great photo's :D
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Yes, from really tense to elation!

They're good photos - thanks for sharing. I particularly like the one with your lovely bicycle in it! [;)]

juleso