Home Chat General Chat

Run Coaching

I'm just starting out in tri's but I know my run is rubbish, Really slow partnered with a really high heartrate.

I'm looking at having some coaching as I'm a bit dubious about trying chi running or the pose method or anything like that without some backup to tell me if I'm doing it right.

I've been looking at TriSport or the The Running School but it's really expensive to be told I'm overweight and that's not helping my run (This I know already)

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience of coaching from this lot.

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    do you have a local running club? i'd hope a good club would have some coaches available to members.

local running club also might give you some running-buddies, too!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    If you are just starting out, then it is perfectly normal to be slow with a high heart rate!

Do you have an HRM? Do you know what your base heart rate is? Are you overweight (has much more impact when running compared with cycling/swimming).

If the above is true, then I suspect that you want to slow down a bit - you may be just going too fast and running out of steam.

Use the HRM to work out zones and run in them - the slower ones. Gradually build up the base level of cardio/vascular endurance fitness. A few weeks of that - you could just try running, not too hard, for 10 or 15 mins in one direction, then back again - Limit yourself to about 20 mins to start with. Do this a few times - you should start to get further an further from home.

After a few weeks, look at extending the time to say, 30 minutes. Then look to introduce some speed work, once you have achieved that base level of fitness.

Watch out for injuries... if anything starts to hurt, then ease off. Rest is important too!

Good luck! and have fun!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I was going to say something very similar to Jack but he beat me to it. The only thing I would add would be to work out you max HR (try 220 -your age as a rough guide) and then when you run try to remain at <80% of that,and once that becomes easier i would drop it to 70% then 65% and then look to build the distance and time you can run at this HR% for. THis will build your aerobic base, and mean that you will start to go faster for the same effort/HR, then as you up the effort you will pick up pace. There was a good article on the runnersworld website (I prob shouldn't be plugging another site but hey) on HR zones running, which explains better than i could how it works (i think it used 180 - age for max HR if i remember rightly).

How often do you run, for how long and how does it feel - what effort are you putting in?
  • Thanks lads, All sounds very good im only doing 3 5k runs a week the last 5k on saturday average heartrate was 87% peceived effort is high but just about managable.

saw an article by Mark Allen online about the whole 180 minus thing for base training and the way he describes what happens to your heartrate if you dont base train seems to be whats happening to me in that its spiking as soon as i start cos its only used to working anaerobically. Think i'll try the 180 minus to build some base even though its the wrong time in the season will give me a jump on next year.

oh conehead im down in kent, well done on the big island always fancied hawaii just maybe not to race