Home Chat General Chat

Garmin forerunner 405 users, how do you use for triathlon?

[toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
How do you use ours for triathlon? Obviously it's not designed to be a multi sport watch but how do you get the best out of it during a race?

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    My _plan_ is/was to 1) Risk wearing the HRM strap in the swim. 2) Have the Watch fixed to the bike - and use the 405 for the bike run 3) In a sprint (i.e. 5K run) leave the watch on the bike - I am confident enough to run without it - and would only want to use it for performance analysis afterwards. For a longer event, e.g 10K run I would possibly considering taking it off the bike.

However, because of Injury I've scrapped my plans to do any Tris until September. By which time I will have probably, via my birthday, persuading myself that a 310 XT is worth it!

I think the real merit is in training... for a brick session I would just wear the watch on the wrist for the bike/run.

I've noticed that, because I have the cadence unit on the bike, it automatically switches to bike mode for a bike ride. Not sure if it would switch to run mode without pressing the stop watch though (I say this because all my bike rides have been slotted under the "bike" section in the Garmin Training Software - even though I completely forgot to switch it manually it until the last ride!)
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    I have the cadence unit to, but have always manually changed it from run to bike before starting.

I have a dualathon tomorrow which is 2mile/10mile/2mile so mnay just leave it on the bike for that section.

If I leave it in training mode with the GPS on, so that's already tracked the satellites, when I get to the bike, after the first run will it be good to go? or will it need to track the satellites again?

Om probably going to get a 310XT when they're out and I can afford one.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    first run will it be good to go?
    Pretty much. It will have timed out and reverted to showing the time - i.e. you will have to press the top right button, then tap the bevel, then press start! But it should find the sats pretty quickly.

• this is how I use the 305:-

I strap it to the bike and turn on in my last pre-transition check before the swim. I wear the HR strap while swimming - I've been told that I'm not supposed to, but it has always worked.

in T2 I unstrap from bike and put on wrist for the run.

Things to be aware of:-

[ul][*]Unstrapping the watch from the bike in T2 loses me time - avoid by purchasing the additional bike mount with velcro strap, after T2 last weekend I have now ordered this

[*]I normally have another watch on my normal wrist which I start at the beginning of the swim.. so when I attempt to put the Garmin on the wrong wrist at the start of the run this can be difficult... if you go down this route it's worth practicing.[/ul]

I too will be looking at the 310 when it's released.

Scotty