Home Chat General Chat

Hows the heat effecting your training?

hazohazo Posts: 18
Ok I'm not complaing but........... is anyone else suffering with this glorious spell of sunshine.

Great for BBQ's but not so hot (sorry) for training.

I seem to manage ok on the bike - I normally ride early or late anyway plus you can carry plenty of water.

Running however is killing me. After just a couple of easy miles I'm thinking of ways to end it all.

Conehead - don't know how you survived - much repect!

Anyone got any top tips for coping with the heat?

Is it normal for heart rate to be up 10% or more?

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    There are a number of options,

if you are racing in warmer temperatures then you just need to condition your body,if your not racing in warmer temps/climates then try not to over stress your body,this will raise your heartrate,just monitor it to make sure it doesn't redline.

Carrying water is always an issue,so you could do a lap run with water always available,along with a bucket and sponge,at the same point(usually your house),but this gets repetitive.

Place bottles at various points around the run route the day before,hidden in hedges etc.If you pass church yards they often have taps available to use to cool your self down,it's just knowing where these points are.Best of luck with the heat.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    baseball cap soaked in water and keep topped up amazed how well this worked yesterday as running not my thing but did my best 4k time off the bike yesterday at midday as trainig in heat in case Dorney and London land up being boiling
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    My 405 had a flat battery. So I had to wait ages to for it to charge. So instead of heading off into the morning cool, I was out in the hottest part of the day.

I slathered myself in sun tan lotion - which the dog then proceeded to lick off. Sigh.

I had a hilly route planned - just under 40 miles with over 4,000 ft. of climbing (glad I waited for the 405 to charge to find out!).

This included one climb of 6 miles of ascent (from 283 ft to 1283 ft [love that 405]) - the longest climb of the three big ones.

I ran out of water by about 30 miles. Then blew up. Forced to consume my emergency rations (some free gel things that came with one of the mags).

Seriously contemplated an experiment to see if a well known carbohydrate rich beverage dispensed from many roadside outlets in handy 568ml shots would act as a recovery drink. Decided against it because I am a True Pro (TM). Completely died on the last climb. Knee giving way too. Almost met with SPD shame as I petered out. Was then passed by a rather fit looking cyclist much to my chagrin. But only a mile or two from home.

Don't ache much today - which is the thing that tells me that it was heat/dehydration that caused me to collapse at 30 miles, rather than fitness.

Really enjoyed it though , and not too sun burnt. Although the thinning bit on the old bonce that we do not talk about. Ever. is a bit sore - sun penetrating through the helmet, and I had neglected to cover that with any sun tan lotion - why would I, when it does not exist (officially).

• joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    So I go out for a 5k (normally do about 8/10) run this evening & having read lots of motivational bitsn'tips on here, think I'll push myself a bit more before Saturday, get my heart rate out of my comfort zone (yep I'm usually pretty lazy) try and get another minute off my time etc...& bang....I struggled big time...heart rate approx 160 (normally 154ish) and I am really not feeling particularly good - had to stop to catch my breath quite often and legs felt really heavy - and this hasn't happened for a while! Now I'm either putting it down to the heat or the fact that I managed 25mins rather than 27mins..but either way it was blooming hard!!! Still I do love this weather though!![:)]
    I managed 25mins rather than 27mins
    Wow! That's a good percentage (and pace difference). Irrespective of the heat, you must have been working tons harder. No wonder you felt it!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i went out this evening thinking i'd missed the worst of the heat in the day.

i'd been running with a guy from work last week and been running comfortably and more quickly that i do by myself so i was hoping to keep that pace going. not a chance tonight, my breathing was a wreck, asthma started bothering me for the first time in ages, far too tense, hot and knackered in minutes.

managed to knock a couple of minutes off my 4mi time but nothing like what i was aiming for.

cross fingers that sunday will have a more relaxed and positive run.

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    i've just got back from a ride and loved it. the warm weather offers a chance to get out later. i dont think doing the same at 4pm would have been quite so 'lovely'.

i also noticed the amount of other peeps out and about - which as i rule i like quite a lot. people watching is my second favourite pastime.
  • hazohazo Posts: 18
    Glad I'm not the only one struggling.

Love riding at the start and end of the day in this weather. Even the quietest trails have all shapes and sizes out - pedalling their little hearts out.

Heat brings the bity bugs out too as my legs swollen up like a balloon after getting a biten at the weekend. At least this time it wasn't a dog - like last week.

Ran home from work tonight, just over 7 miles - nealy died (again). Was expecting to struggle so eased the pace up well before the wobbly legs started.

The heat seems to bring out those little voices in my head which tell me to stop and walk.

Tried the wet baseball cap idea - seemed to help.

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    ran last night with ladies running club chain gang thought I was going to melt even my knees were dripping [:D]
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Some good tips here - like the BB cap idea. I was planning an easy run this evening, but decided to wait until it cooled down a bit (wuss), and promptly fell asleep on the sofa. Dammit.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Just set up the turbo in the lounge.... felt like I was going to melt into the floor.. so I moved it outside onto the patio - a little better but gave up after 15 mins spinning

I'm not complaining though - we'd all get used to this weather inside a week if it lasted.

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I love the heat ... if sunbathing or doing pretty much nothing - but for running its a no go for me - it just zaps all my energy, though I did manage an 8k run tonight been the first one since my tri over a week ago. Don't mind the bike so much in the heat.
    Heat's great if you get the hydration right. Some of my best "work outs" have been when on Holiday in the Med - and how much less it hurts, and how injury free you are, is really noticeable. It may be because the body works better when the ambient temperature is warm, or it may be that you don't go quite as fast for the same level of effort, but, after training/exertion, I feel a whole lot better, injury/aches/pains-wise, than I would in the cold.

Don't like sunburn though - warm shade is best!
  • I love it...theres always some running girls in the park...if she is a good runner she keeps my pace above normal :D:D

I do get lethargy though, sometimes makes the sessions seem hellish!

• danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Call me sadistic, but I think the heat is great! I love it! This past weekend I was supposed to go on a short threshold run with my buddy Phil, and it turned into an 8.5 mile race pace run. Got done in 56:46 minutes which was over a minute faster than our normal times.

Sunday, swimming in the lake was a dream... nice warm water. Getting out on the bike, it was good to go for about 3 hours, but required a lot more to drink than normal. I think the heat just helps my muscles melt a bit, get squishy, and then I do not notice them going faster. The 12k run afterwards was tough because I was out of water after 30 mins, so by the end I was dragging, but altogether, a colossal training weekend and it was perfect!

Heat is a good chance to HTFU

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    An extention to the BB cap idea is to leave it in the fridge when wet - this cools it even more and is great for the run part of a brick session, as you are already hot and this brings the temp down a bit - i love a nice cold one...cap that is