Home Chat General Chat

OK, I'm hooked - now what?

So I did my first tri yesterday (the fun distance at Cheshire) and I had a real ball - it was great. I was pleased with my time but plenty of room for improvement. But what comes next?

I know I really need to improve on my general fitness, particularly on the bike, I've been putting in the time but not the intensity (confirmed by shiny new HRM). Are intervals the best thing for this? How do they work on the bike? Would it be a good idea to take up a spinning class again (stopped in favour of outdoors when the weather got better)?

I can't run in training since I have a lower back injury that won't take the impact, I'm guessing that if I work on power walking then I might be able to run a bit on the day. Are intervals the way to go here as well and again how would that work?

I'm much happier on the swim and do one session of intervals, one steady swim and one technique session a week - just have to be less lazy and work a bit harder and get the stroke rate up. OW sessions will start just as soon as I sort out a wet suit.

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.

No new equipment permitted until I've a) shed 10 kgs (won't be helping the issue) and b) learned to ride the (city) bike properly and got a better level of fitness then perhaps I'm allowed a shiny, new red bike......

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Do you go to a gym? Don't how bad the injury is, but strengthening work on it might be appropriate (consult your GP/physio first!). Lots of fun to be had with a swiss ball and some light weights. There are some low/non impact cardio activities to be had - rower might be good (with a low resistance at first) to build up back strength as well as C/V. Cross trainer (skiing machine) might also be good. The gym equipment might be compatible with your new HRM too, it is polar!

Of course, if you are not a member then it is quite expensive. But a swiss ball is quite a cheap investment + a pilates DVD, or a pilates class if you like.

Well done for you first tri, by the way.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Thanks Jack,

the back injury is a long term thing (did it when I was about 7) and I just have to live with it. I've stirred it up again by running over the last couple of weeks but generally with yearly osteopath trips it's alright (in the absence of running, stepping, falling off bike/horse etc).

I did two years of studio based pilates whilst overseas and it was brilliant, can't recommend it highly enough, sadly doesn't seem to have made it up here, but I'm doing the Les Mills Body Balance to keep up the core and back strength which seems to be maintaining the back alright. Getting a Swiss ball is a great idea!

Training at the moment looks something like this:

Monday: Bike to work (15km round trip), swim (2 x 900m ladder sets)

Tuesday: fast walk 5 km , bike to work - longer/harder on way home (25 km ish on the way back)

Wednesday: fast walk, swim (intervals 10 x 100 on 2.30 and some turn or technique practise)

Thursday: Bike to work, Body Balance

Friday: rest

Saturday: fast walk 5 km, club swim squad

Sunday: Body Balance, steady bike (20 km)

I think more biking might be required.....

I do daily stretching concentrating on quads and ham strings for the back.

Constructive comments?

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Well I was going to say Pilates myself. It has helped with my lower back problems (also spondilitis and knackered left shoulder).

As for running I do most pf my running on treadmills as I have dodgy knees, see my post here:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=42569&mpage=1&key=&#42742

Have your running gait checked out at a running shop and get a good set of shoes, it woll make a whole world of difference.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Thanks Zacnici,

Any feel for how the geometry of a road bike will effect the lower back? I'm riding a city bike at the moment and it's quite upright. I'm a bit worried about the pressure from the tucked position

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I think that if on a road bike you could cause/exacebate problems when going aero as you you will be stretching your back. Have a look at this:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

And this:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html