Home Chat General Chat

puncher repair kits

Surely just spare tubes, not repair kits?

That said I dont have a spare for tonights race, fingers crossed.

Comments

• teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    should i take one with me while racing.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I carry glueless patches just in case I'd be gutted if I burst my only tube putting the tyre back, so the few grams they weigh seem worth the insurance.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    teamspirit wrote:

should i take one with me while racing.

I'm under the impression that you come from a road racing/competitive cycling background - and would be on tubs?

There's no team car or broom wagon....

1 or 2 tubes + gas for anything up to OD.

HIM or above, I might take a puncture repair kit, as I would want to finish, and a kit would be a bit lighter than more tubes.

If the course was bad for punctures, I might review the strategy.

For an IM, I would probably just have a trailer. As I would need to stop for the night, so would need the trailer to carry the camping gear in it [:)].
    Yeah do have a road racing background but even doing TT's i wouldn't normally take anything round with me cos just a few minutes to change a tube etc would be enough to lose the race. I have 2 stes of wheels the same 1 pair tubs and 1 pair tube and tire.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    That makes sense!

It's all about strategy - probabilities vs. time lost etc.

I guess if you were an elite, looking just to win, then you might not bother.

If you're just an age grouper, doing the best you can, then there's too much at stake to DNF because of a puncture on the cycle leg.
    In the winter i'm a cyclo cross rider so would shoulder my bike and run the rest of the bike leg lol never not finished a race last cross season puntured early in the race and had to run round for 50mins with bike on shoulder.
  • Spare tube and co2 and remember to actually make sure it is with you!!

I remember my heart sinking feeling in the London OD last year when I got a puncture at the turn around at Beckton only to reach behind my seat for my spare tube and tyre levers . To realise I had left them in my bag back at transition. I had racked my bike the night before so had left any spare kit in my bag. The excitement of race day totally forgot to check my bike. Luckily a racing buddy was a minute or so behind and threw me his kit so I could carry on.

Life saver

Jimbo
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    teamspirit wrote:

In the winter i'm a cyclo cross rider so would shoulder my bike and run the rest of the bike leg lol never not finished a race last cross season puntured early in the race and had to run round for 50mins with bike on shoulder.

if considering this for triathlon then remember to put the bike down in transition, you don't have to keep carrying it on the run section (unless you like it [:D])