Home Chat General Chat

220 subscription gift Rant!

So I'm new to all this and had a choice of Tri mags I could sign up to for a bit of added insight into the sport... I was lured to 220 by a couple of recommendations, & then clinched by the offer of a free Hydration Pack from Gelert...

3 months go by... the magazines arrive as expected... but no gift...!

So I place a call... get an appology and a we'll get one in hte post when the next batch come in... which will be soon...

Fair enough.. although would have been nice to have had a letter to that effect...

Another 6 weeks later... nothing... so I phone again...

No record of the first conversation... and am told that no more Hydration Packs are coming, or were ever coming... but I can have a T-shirt... this is advanced to a pair of goggles... (not bad, but not as good as what I was supposed to get)...

I accepted the goggles, & suggested that a T-shirt as well would balance this and the wait up... (okay cheaky, but I though fair)....

Goggles have now arrived... but no T-shirt...

Anyway the point is that the customer services team are rubbish verging on rude... they made it quiet clear they didn't care.. & I could take it or leave it... I know what I'll be doing come sub's renewal!

Am I alone...? Unlucky? or is this how 220 treat their clients?

Right Rant over!

On the up loving triathlon as a sport!

Ru

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    This has me a little worried now. I have recently subscribed and the gift were a pair of aquasphere kaimans, they haven't arrived but my first mag has...i wonder if I should contact them. How long does it normally take for these things to arrive?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    After reading this I could contact them now and every day until the Kaimen arrive!

I have kaimens I bought and they are great!
  • u_j_2001u_j_2001 Posts: 47
    I subscribed 4 months ago and received a mini bike pump which arrived separately to the magazine but on time as expected.

The problem is that 220 are part of a large publishing business and the support people (who I also contacted once) are there to answer questions about all the various publications, and as you state are quite clueless and don't give a monkey's...

I recently got a shirt after doing the evening series race at Dorney lake as 220Triathlon are the main sponsor...so if it's a shirt your after [8D]

You could always cancel after 6 months, sign up again and get another freebee...

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I got my Kaimans no worries and they are great - keep hounding them for the tee I reckon.

On a related note, I have a similar rant about Triathlon Plus -I got the first issue, and decided to get a subscription. Signed up and got 3 issues for a quid. Imagine how p$$ed off I was when the next issue arrived, and the announced that they were now giving away a pair of sunglasses worth £70! No good to me, as I'd already signed up.

I emailed the subscription people - ignored.

Emailed the comments pages - ignored.

Emailed them again - still ignored.

Triathlon Plus don't seem to give a damn. For being one of the first to subscribe to thier new magazine, I'm obviously dead keen, and don't need any freebies. Not happy.

• dcdc Posts: 10
    Ron99 wrote:

I got my Kaimans no worries and they are great - keep hounding them for the tee I reckon.

On a related note, I have a similar rant about Triathlon Plus -I got the first issue, and decided to get a subscription. Signed up and got 3 issues for a quid. Imagine how p$$ed off I was when the next issue arrived, and the announced that they were now giving away a pair of sunglasses worth £70! No good to me, as I'd already signed up.

Triathlon Plus don't seem to give a damn. For being one of the first to subscribe to thier new magazine, I'm obviously dead keen, and don't need any freebies. Not happy.

Well I signed up to Tri plus also (after issue 2) and have got my first magazine but no glasses yet, so may be you're better off with your cheap 3 issues at least... Think will be getting on the phone!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    My parents always told me,''You never get owt for nowt''.

But since most of the articles in this months 220 have been featured on the forum over the last 6 months...........maybe someone will read this and..........
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    I never received my bike pump and really needed it, so had to go buy a new one instead and a friend of mine never received their goggles!! It is actually very bad as I don't think they even have a caveat on the deals (or have I missed the *until stock lasts bit? in which case......[8|])
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    I have signed up to both 220 and Tri Plus - the only incentive I was offered was a reduced price for the subscription. But I am happy with that as it is quality reading.
  • SamRSamR Posts: 19
    Spookily, I just received a call from 220 saying that they now have the hydration packs in stock and that I should receive one within 14-21 days.
  • Well you should try subscribing from outside the UK .................... it took 8 weeks to get the 1st mag, now I'm only having to email and phone them once a month as my copy never turns up on time, oh and they don't offer the freebies or enticements outside the UK either ............. but I suppose I should feel lucky only reading something 3 weeks behind everybody else and I suppose its my own fault I moved to Ireland !

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Ron99 wrote:

Signed up and got 3 issues for a quid. Imagine how p$$ed off I was when the next issue arrived, and the announced that they were now giving away a pair of sunglasses worth £70! No good to me, as I'd already signed up.

I presumed though that teh free sunnies were not part of the 3 issues for a quid offer... but for the normal 6moth/1 year/whatever deal?

Otherwise you could have just signed up a friend/missus/mum/dad/dog/whoever for a £1 pair of £70 sunnies presumably.

didds

The 3 issues for a quid offer was the bonus - you still had to sign up for 12 months.

It's about the fact that they didn't go back to the people who'd signed up and supported them early on, and then to totally ignore my emails. It wouldn't have been difficult to just write back and say 'sorry, can't do it because...' or whatever. Gavinrigg06 - I agree - the reason you sign up for subs is to get the magazine, but at the same time, why can't I get the same offer as everybody else who came along and signed up a fortnight later?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I got the free gift - which I had no interest in - bike cleaner - when I subscribed to 220. BUT. What I didn't get was the second issue. I phond up to tell them it hadn't arrived (actually, it took a number of emails/phone calls to get through to them). They said tough.

So, that's 11 issues for the price of twelve. Not really a bargain - and doesn't really motivate me to renew. I probably would have switched to Tri+, but the direct debit bit is a turn off - would prefer to pay with the credit card, and let them have to bully me into carrying on for another year.

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I got the rucksack and bladder insert. Well impressed ( not used it though)
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Ron99 wrote:

I did this - got the 3 issues for £1 - my idea is to cancel the DD after the 3rd issue comes - purchase the next few issues off the shelf and then re-apply in a few months time so I get my free gift of whatever they are offering at the time ;) ... The 3 x issues for £1 offer is just that - you don't have to continue afterwards if you don't want to.

GGB wrote:

- you don't have to continue afterwards if you don't want to.

Hmmm - must have mis read it. Good idea.