Home Chat General Chat
Options

Looking to improve my cycling technique

Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
Might be a bit of a broad question, but does anyone have any quick tips on improving cycling position and overall technique?

I have a road bike (no tri bars) that has been fitted for me, and I have been working on my pedaling, trying to make sure and develop power though the whole pedal stroke i.e. push and pull, most power about the 5 o clock position. I also keep my cadence high (between 80-100) as much as possible.

One thing I am concious of is getting lower - I tend to ride with my hands on the hoods as it's more comfortable, but with a wide grip and relatively high shoulders, my arms and chest must be acting like a parachute. Should I be in the drops as much as possible or only when decending/pushing hard? Any other technique pointers?

Comments

• Options
    dont know to much about technique,but two things that will certainly improve your times are goingout with a cycling club, found this very hard at first but being in a chain gang with regular riders certainly improves your endurance, initially hard if your your used to riding on your own and going at your own pace, i found it hard to keep my speed down on flat straight roads where i may normally be quicker than the club riders but as soon as we hit the hills i really struggled to keep up, secondly a set of aero bars really made a difference and is probably why i'm faster on flat straights than the club riders.
  • Options
    shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Hi Ron,

There have been a few threads recently on this so might be worth search. I posted one a while back but it more based on the turbo.

I had a similar prob to you in that I used the brake hoods. I've been working on getting aero as much of the time as I can and when not aero using the drop bars and not the brake hoods like I used to.

When I'm going up hills, I always stay on the drop bars and keep myself seated at all times ( unless its a mega hill). Then on the long straights and downhills I drop to the aero bars.

What I can say since doing that, I've taken a good deal of time (10mins) of my 20k training route that its really hilly and technical. When I first started it took me 50mins and I'm now down to 40mins and I know within myself I can do better.

As I say I don't know about others but getting as low as you can and as often as you can has worked a treat for me.

Also may be worthwhile in looking at some tri bars. You can pick up some good ones for not a lot of cash.

Regards

S11
  • Options
    danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with riding the hoods as long as you keep your body rotated forward. It's not the hand position that makes you much more aero on the drops, but its the frontal area that you're showing. If you can keep your shoulders and torso lower while on the hoods it may actually be better for aero profile since your forearms will be more level instead of sloped, which is a smaller frontal area.

If its bending your body forward that's uncomfortable, then look into working on increasing your flexibility and core control. Holding yourself up with your abs for a while is not so bad after you work up to it. Letting your upper back do the work is possibly why you're not comfortable on the drops. Maybe, or maybe not. I might've just made this up.
  • Options
    jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    I mentioned this before regarding pedalling action,try experimenting with a more elliptical action,instead of push down/ pull up,try pushing forward and pulling back at a slightly higher cadence with lower resistance,and use the push down ,pull up for the hills/inclines.It works for some.Likewise with the aerobars it takes practice to get use to the position.
  • Options
    Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    jon.E wrote:

I mentioned this before regarding pedalling action,try experimenting with a more elliptical action,instead of push down/ pull up,try pushing forward and pulling back at a slightly higher cadence with lower resistance,and use the push down ,pull up for the hills/inclines.

Not sure I understand - you mean apply more of the power in the stroke at the 3 and 9 o clock positions?