Home Chat General Chat

London Tri

Good luck folks. I'm looking forward to the chance to meet up with some of you at last.

Comments

• pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Good luck to all of you for this weekend.

May your breathing be steady in the swim and may you not lose your goggles, may your legs be strong and your balance be good on the bike, and may your legs keep going ever faster on the run! May you get to the start on time, and may all things technical work as they should - and may the Force be with you - whatever you consider that to be!!

Have a great time. Enjoy - and let us know how you get on.

• I will be thinking of you all on Sunday as you glide, ride and stride. Good luck to you all, you have done the training now reap the benefit.

DAvid
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Wish I could be there with you all (really) hope it all goes well.
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    good luck to you all (and me) see some of you Sunday...

Did any else get the medical warning email?

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Yeah, I was a big fan of their recommendations to staying cool "Do not warm up." [&:]

May as well have 'put please pull muscle' or 'retire from race with preemptive injury' or some such. Madness!
    yeah - I was a little perplexed by that [:D]

prehaps they mean we should swim the first 400m resting for 30s after each 100m as a warm up...

though I do tend to "go easy" for the first 200m until I have properly warmed up as even with a warm up standing about tends to "cool me down"

• I'm going to covering the triathlon on Sunday photography wise. I'm semi-pro so if you can PM your numbers I can look out for you or go though my pics and see if I can spot you. Requests of shots also taken.

Cheers everyone and good luck!!! glad I'm just watching!!

Ian
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    Hi Guys

Can't believe it's finally here. Anyway feel nervous and excited and will hopefully have some good news to post here Sunday night/Monday. Good luck to everyone.

JoJo
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Good luck all! I'll be thinking of you!
    Morning all!

Well after a bit of a ropey start, broke my tri bars 400 on Sat and had to go on a mad dash to get some more, I turned up, missed my warm up (on the plus side I bumped into Ian and got chatting to him as we passed the time) as they were running late, swam out to the far side as advised by 220 only to wait 10 minutes to get called back in as there was a problem on the bike course. The wait was not good for my nerves!!

Finally everything was sorted, we were put back in the water (which smelt like rotten eggs and deisal) and finally we started after another brief wait. Although I got quiet buffeted around I had a cracking swim. The bike course was fun if more hilly than I had anticipated. Unfortunately my run was a bit dodgy. I finally limped over the finish line to fall into the arms of the St Johns Ambulance folk (who I owe a massive thank you!) in 2hrs 35min. 25 minutes faster than I had anticipated!

Congrats to everyone else who went over the weekend and I hope you had a good race!
  • I was in the sprint. As BonusB said I too had a great swim, and I was expecting the bike course to be flatter. The run however didn't go well at all. I kept getting cramp in both carfs, so I would try and drink some water to compensate which only left me feeling bloated! You can't win can you.

However I thoughly enjoyed it. Time to start preparing for an Olympic distance!!!
  • JeromeJerome Posts: 2
    I completed my first Olympic at London yesterday afternoon in 2:48 which I was v pleased about.

Couldnt believe that there was a scrum at the end as well as the beginning of the swim! The cycle ride was certainly not flat, although I did enjoy the Limehouse Link! The run was very hot, and I just loved the ramp at the end...... The crowds at the finishing line made you feel special though.
  • chugheschughes Posts: 12
    I too was in the Sprint on Saturday, my first one and thoroughly enjoyed it! The feeling of achievment going through the finishing line is second to none!! I will certainly be doing it again - I have the bug! All my apprehensions for the swim were unfounded, maybe I was just lucky or it may have been due to the start line being wider than normal (apparently) so I found there was plenty of space. Not so much though as my goggles we dislodged from my face and swimming with one goggle half full of water wasn't much fun. Even so it was a 14 mins of fun and the times in the pool paid off.

I definately need to practice putting my wetsuit in the bag - it was comical the damn wetsuit kept falling out! Getting heckles from my mates also made the whole experience all the more enjoyable.

The cycle was great, I managed to keep up with a pack and didn't manage to total it in the transition, I thought I might have over cooked it a bit but really didn't have time to think about it too much which was great.

I must have paced it okay as the run was comfortable and on the second lap I could just picture myself at the finish and I just had a great big grin on my face which spurred me on even further!!

I can't remember the last time I felt so good as at the finish line - with my first sprint time of 1hr 21min 33sec I coudn't believe it! The 6 months of training paid its dividends and then some!

Thanks for all the great advice on this forum guys, you made preparation and enjoyement all the more pleasureable!!

If anyone lost a drivers license in the hall - it's in the post!

Craig Hughes (aka Chimpy on the run)
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    Hi Guys

Well I did it!

Had a great weekend. My overall time was slighly disappointing - 3 hours 53 mins but not beating myself up over it. It was my first ever triathlon and it was the olympic distance. My swim was 33.53 mins but my bike was rubbish 2 hours 17 and the run in 53 mins. Pleased with the swim and run but really need to do some more long cycles.

However, really really pleased I did it and today I feel fine - a bit stiff but good. Contemplating doing it again next year.

Overall it was good - really chuffed.

Jojo
  • SpunSpun Posts: 1
    Hi All, London on Sunday was also my first Olympic. I really enjoyed it and was quicker than I thought I would be. I kept having "flash backs" at work today to moments on the swim, the bike and even the second lap of the run when things got painful. Now I've got to get back in the saddle and find 10 minutes more speed before my 2nd tri (any ideas welcome)!

Also any North London training groups or ideas I would be happy to hear about them.

Good luck

Spun
  • Hi all

First time on here...

Congrats to you all for the weekend. I did my first Tri (Sprint) on Saturday and loved it. Officially hooked!

Great on the swim with 13:42 without a lesson in my life so could surprisingly end up being my strongest discipline after lessons in September. Satisfied with 39:29 on the bike having only started 4 months ago...... but then rubbish run at 23:35 considering it's my normal event and having a PB of 19:27.... how much time compared to PBs do others find they lose having swam / rode? Hopefully just a stamina thing and can be sorted by lots of long rides and runs (bricks?) over the winter.

Anyway, a season of 3-4 olympics next summer is the plan..... Any recommendations for one more this year late Aug / early Sept? Prob about sprint distance - the aquathon in Tooting on 3rd Sept sounds good.

Also, are any of you guys members of TriLondon or Serpentine Tri clubs? Think it's time I joined somehwere!

Cheers
    despite the pain but muscular and bladder related I enjoyed every minute of course didn't think that at the time but looking back it was all part of the experience..

BonusB glad I bump into at the start made the delays pass quicker sorry again about not meeting afterwards...and don't worry about not shouting anything back on the run i was almost past you before my brain put together all clues that it was you...

Madnurse...just looked the results and it seems Mrs Nurse's new best mate was second ;)

Wasn't sure if I heard you call out on the bike as well! But glad you didn't take any offence, literally my whole world by that point had become look at ground, shuffle left foot forward, shuffle right foot forward, repeat [:D]

Will definately be doing more Olympics. I want that sub 2:30
    If I did see you on the bike and shout I don't remember it ;)
  • andysvenandysven Posts: 10
    About the PB thing - I managed to run my fastest 10k ever on sunday (haven't done that many 10k's but was quite surprised with 38:25!), not entirely sure how, was my first triathlon so just not experienced enough on how to balance the effort between the 3 legs.

Also might have had something to do with being knocked off my bike by someone swerving to avoid two people who'd got in the wrong lane at the start of their bike and slammed on their brakes (on that narrow bit while i was just going into the second lap). Gave me the anger - so then flew my second bike lap and the run and ended up overall considerably faster than i expected!

(To that person, no worries - was their / my fault - hope it didn't hurt! to the people who got things wrong - if you're doing another race please read your instructions before you start! wasn't entirely clear though i admit. luckily i landed on my arse and bounced, no major harm done, just afew seconds lost (you may not have thought that at the time given the expletives that came out of my mouth!))

anyhow despite that (and the nasty little hill at the end of the run lap!!) really enjoyed the whole thing, definitely going to do more!
  • Some v.v.impressive times - Andy, how on earth did you manage to do a PB run in that heat? I could barely shuffle....

Swim was great - I managed to keep doing frontcrawl the entire way round and even managed to speed up in the second half, though it did seem to get more crowded and jostling in the last 500m. The first lap of the bike run I was flying along (and being in an unofficial 'honestly we're not drafting' pack helped) - especially that great bit in the Limehouse tunnel where you could go at top speed without even pedalling. On the second lap my gears started to play up and I really felt the heat - tried to keep drinking but I was losing fluid faster than I could take it in. Then, just to really cheer me up, the gears caught again and my chain snapped about 500m from the finish, so I had to run up the long ramp into transition with cycling shoes, a helmet and pushing a bike! That pretty much floored me and the run was all about survival - thankfully I just edged ahead of the (either mad or insanely brave) guy who was running with a suit of armour for charity... Overall, 2hrs 54 - not too bad for the first OD, but next year will definitely be sub 2.30!

Well done to everyone else who finished (and to the poor guy who got 2 separate punctures and ran in from even further than me!)

Mike

• Andy - have just checked your results on the LT webpage:

00:25:27 00:03:44 00:19:27 00:48:49 01:08:16 00:01:45 00:19:38 00:18:47 00:38:25 02:17:35I am in awe - 2hrs 17mins on your first triathlon! An elite in the making....

V.v.v.v.well done

Mike

• andysvenandysven Posts: 10
    cheers - as i said though was A LOT faster than i expected (by my maths i was reckoning i would hit 2:45ish, but didn't really have that much of an idea!)

don't reckon i could have put any more in though (especially the run!), could hardly stand after the finish!
    andy well done... that is a seriously quick time
  • A few pics from the Tri are now on my website, follow the Sports link.

http://www.iesphotography.co.uk