Home Chat General Chat

When is it time to move up to OD

This year is my first season of Tri's, and been training regulaarly and with some structure since the start of the year. I've completed three sprint Tri's so far, the results being:

#1 400m/25km/5km 1:32:50

#2 400m/16km/5km 1:11:21

#3 400m/24km/5km 1:23:54

None are fantasctic times, but beng in my 40's and new to this game, I more than happy with them, and the averages for each discipline is getting slightly better as time goes on. I've also got a few other sprints booked in throughout the year.

However, now that I have completed a few sprints, I'm thinking wheterh I should set my self a bigger target and try moving up to OD (or is it too soon). Searching the web recently I found a local OD at the end of this month 27/06 and tempted to enter.

Using previous averages, splits would be:

Swim 31:45

Bike 1:29:55

Run 53:30

Total 2:55:10

On a good evening session I am currently exercising for up to 4 hours continuous (running / circuits / spinning), so I know I can keep going over the 3 hour mark. My swimming is OK at present, did a couple of 1000, OW swims on the weekend, but I think making the 1500m mark without reverting to breastroke (my stronger and preferred stroke) will be the challange.

Anyway, I was just wondering when others have made the move up to OD, and whether I should stop pussyfooting around and get my entry in. I think deep down I already know the answer, and actually typing this has re-affirmed it, but sometimes is nice to have the voices in your head backed-up by others, and what the hell, someone always has to come last, and the personal satisfaction of completing an OD event must surely bring me some bragging rights.

Some encouragement please!

Comments

• pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    i have just moved up to od from sprint I did two last year and it's a big difference but a lot of fun. It never to soon but makesure that you have put the miles in and don't set yourr goals to high. My aim for my first od or slightly over od 1500/44/10 was to get under 2.30 and I did 2.28 on a very hot day . Now I know what to expect am aiming for sub 2.20 by the end of the season

But go for it and enjoy
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    I dont think there is any set time to move up it's all about you as an individual. If you want to take the move to OD and you feel ready then I say go for it. My first year last year and I did one sprint followed by 4 OD races and loved it. It sounds as if your doing plenty of trainig so just up the distance a little.

Good luck and ENJOY.

[;)]
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    You've said it - stop pussyfooting around and get your entry in!

None of those suggested times are at all shabby. Under three hours for an OD would not be bad at all especially for a first time event, for a novice coming into tri in their forties.

I'm doing my first OD in a couple of weeks, I'm in my second season of tri. It appears that I have a winter of training and about ten years on you and sub three hours is my initial goal. (I'm hoping for quicker of course!)

I'm looking forward to it being a longer event! I'm a bit daunted about swimming all that way in a river but a longer bike is appealing to me. I'm doing a sprint on Sunday and I was already thinking that 40 minutes or so on the bike is hardly worth bothering with. And now they've said the bike is only 18KM not 20!

Go for it and enjoy it [:D]
  • I entered my first sprint and Olympic at the same time without really thinking about it. Only after did i realise the challenge.

Having entered though, it makes sure you train and cover the distances.

I say if you think you can finish it then enter one and get training towards it!
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Go for it. You sound like your there already!

It's my first season and going for OD in September, really enjoyed the sprint distance but it was over all to quickly for me (not saying i had a quick time [:D] just that i wanted a bit more of an endurance event than the shorter sprints!)

Good luck!!!

p.s. There's nothing wrong with a bit of breaststroke!!
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    GDH, just go for it, I started with the sprint distances, and I am now jumping to 70.3 next year - I have found that I am not a speed freak, but I have plenty of endurance, plus at 5 to 6 hrs for a race, at least I feel I am getting value for money !!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    gavinrigg06 wrote:

GDH, just go for it, I started with the sprint distances, and I am now jumping to 70.3 next year - I have found that I am not a speed freak, but I have plenty of endurance, plus at 5 to 6 hrs for a race, at least I feel I am getting value for money !!

This is what I've done. Last year I raced a couple sprints to see what it was about, and this year I'm doing two 70.3 races. The training changes to be more endurance based, but you've already got that going on, so really there's no reason for you not to go for the full 140.6 distance if you've got the time and ambition. Do you want to race longer? That's the only question. It is almost never a question of being able to, but completely a question of being willing to commit.

• WoolyWooly Posts: 63
    i'm looking to hit OD this year with a few sprints to get my feet wet first. In terms of commitment/fitness, my issue is juggling home life, work life and tri life...easy for a sprint but more challenging as distance increases!!!
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    OK you've convinced me, or released any doubts I had. I've made contact with the rrace organiser and entry forms etc en route. 27th June ut is then, which isn't that far away.

I'll report back how it all goes.

As to moving up to 70.3 / 140.6, hand on heart I think I prefer the endurance rather than the speed elements. Entered sprints initially to reassure myself that I could complete, but having spoken to other Triathletes in my running club and gym, was asked why I did that sprints, as they're for 'nutters' only. They couldn't understand why anyone wanted to do a race that is done at maximum HR for 60-90 minutes, when a longer distance gives you time to find a more comfortable pace, and enjoy yourself, rather than flat out.

• ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    It's all in the top 2" and training sensibly for what you are going to do. Sprint training will be different to training for longer events.

You're ready when you decide you are. If you want to do something then do it. Just give yourself a sensible length of time to prepare and set a realistic goal.

Ade
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i did a sprint last autumn and hope to do 3 OD events this summer, along with a couple of spints. i started a 12wk training plan in early april to do city of bath OD and then decided to take on cricklade tri which is this coming sunday.

i think i should be ok, i had a fair bit of bike time over the winter and did bath half in march so my base wasn't absolute zero. can't help but wonder if another couple of weeks training would give me more confidence or a faster time!

i'm looking forward and dreading the race in equal measure now... if the weather forecast could improve a bit that would be decent.

edit: meant to say - give yourself a time goal (mine is sub 3h) and try to find a plan or training schedule that builds confidence to achieve them. if you have a reasonable base then it is certainly achievable.