Home Chat General Chat

Open water swim

pippip Posts: 170
Try this

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/gear/index.asp?catid=127

that should get you to a pile of wetsuit reviews.if not go to the beginnertriathlete website and go equipment reviews.

Comments

• pippip Posts: 170
    Got my first one in September and i`m a bit confused about which swimsuit to buy.Do i buy a diving wetsuit or are there spcifically made tri suits that you can buy.If so which do you recommend and do you go for a short leg and sleeve or a long leg and sleeve.Sorry if this sounds a bit dim but i am very confused[8|]
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    Hi Pip

Deffo go for a tri wetsuit for your OW swim, they are thinner- like a second skin and made to give you more boyouncy ( however you spell it).

You will way appreciate it when its on, but you need to make sure you get the right fit, and it doesnt rub etc. Should be snug, comfy but not baggy.

try that link mentioned above.

I have a long sleeve, long leg one as I swim in the UK where the water isnt that warm but I have seen some people swim in shorties, so it depends on personal preference and how warm it is/you want it to be!

[:)]
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    no no no no no... mate dont go spending a fortune on a wetsuit till you know you like the sport...get a cheapo one off ebay that keeps you up and you can swim in, if you jump in the water and enjoy your first race you'll then at least know what to expect and what felt good/bad.

my wetsuit cost me £25...its only got to get me 400m. and its perfectly fine, i've done ow swimming in it already for some training session...thats cheaper than renting one....just dont worry too much about it...get a cheap one...worry once you know you're init for good
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Use a tri specific wetsuit
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    What do people think about hiring for the first season? I'm doing the Great North Swim in September (1 mile OW). I can't afford a decent suit right now (darned wedding!) so it's hire or get the cheapest one they've got at wiggle or something
    durhamvam wrote:

What do people think about hiring for the first season? I'm doing the Great North Swim in September (1 mile OW). I can't afford a decent suit right now (darned wedding!) so it's hire or get the cheapest one they've got at wiggle or something

I would hire one dude, prob the best bet, they are about £25 and they let u have it for a month I think. better than shelling out £170 for one if you aint sure about it. I did the great north swim last yr, its a good event :-)

andyb99 wrote:

no no no no no... mate dont go spending a fortune on a wetsuit till you know you like the sport...get a cheapo one off ebay that keeps you up and you can swim in, if you jump in the water and enjoy your first race you'll then at least know what to expect and what felt good/bad.

my wetsuit cost me £25...its only got to get me 400m. and its perfectly fine, i've done ow swimming in it already for some training session...thats cheaper than renting one....just dont worry too much about it...get a cheap one...worry once you know you're init for good

erm i think that is personal preference, no need for the NO NO NO in the post dude...

people just trying to help on here.. no one told anyone to GO BUY ONE NOw.. chill!!

for info I found that evans cycle shops were selling last seasons blue seventy suits for half price, I got mine for £90, brand new, just last season stock. thats an idea!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    I got a brand new blue seventy one from bexH's mate. maybe PM her, i lost his number.....

55 english pounds sterling it was, and mighty fine to boot.

Gave it a whirl in the sea this morning and boy, are the legs floaty in a tri wetsuit or what??!! thought i was gonna bob upside down for a minute there!
  • CCSCCS Posts: 53
    I went for the second hand wetsuit option as it's my first season (and a lot of the new ones seem pretty expensive) - there seem to be quite a few options here http://www.triathlontrader.co.uk/item.php?type=swim&page=all&searchtype=&searchtext= where people are selling off ex-hire suits.

I got mine from these folks: http://www.thetristore.com/ - and no complaints - good service ; suit apparently only worn once and in great condition.