Home Chat General Chat

Tri training and weight loss

meakiemeakie Posts: 124
who told you to cut to 1500kcal?

Also what ratio of macro nutrients are you eating (thats what percentage comes from protien, carbs and fats?)

Comments

• meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    I am following a plan from runners world... why? is there a problem with that?

I would only be on 2000 anyway, less than a man
    Hi all

I want to shift about half a stone whilst training, which to do this I have been advised to cut about 500cal per day to lose 1lb per week, am happy to do this. So I will be on about 1500 cal.

Any other ideas/tips from anyone?

I am vege, dont eat meat, so if anyone can suggest any nice food ideas that will give me energy for training but not high in calories that would be fab

thanks

Shell :-)

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Tips:

keep a food diary, and a training diary.

Eat a well balanced diet (remember that veg!). It helps if you can cook your own things, rather than ready meals.

Cut out alchohol and fizzy drinks - reserve the occasional glass of wine for treats when you have done well.

Drink lots of water.

Soup is a great way of feeling full.

A good LT workout of > 20 mins will suppress your appetite!

Eat porridge for breakfast.

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    meakie, your training will cause you to loose weight without cutting calorie intake (provided you don't massively over eat at the moment) as you will be burning more than usual. I would suggest that you see how much your training alone causes weight loss then consider reducing calorie intake if required. I think that generally loosing more than about 2lb a week is not good or sustainable.
    I used to do Weightwatchers so I know that losing over 2lbs a week isnt sustainable or good for me with my weight and height ( I am just a short ar*e!), I dont have very much to lose, but I am determined to get rid of this last half a stone, as its the hardest bit to shift.

My training is changing my shape but I am not losing any weight at all, so I am asking for food alternatives as clearly I eat some of the right foods but perhaps need to change my diet as that can help boost weightloss too.

dont worry ( I can hear the panic in your reply!!) I am not going to get an eating disorder I just really want to see some change in my weight.

I will be happy to lose 1lb per week and know that some weeks I may not lose, I am only human afterall.

I gave up WW cos I got sick of the culture, most of my class were 50 somethin women who talked about food constantly ( which didnt help me!) and wouldnt know exercise if it hit them in the face so I really didnt fit in. Someone like me who Loves exercise, does it alot and likes to try new things - I was like a fish out of water. So I am now paying more attention to the nutrition tips etc in 220 and runners world.

I think I have a rubbish metabolism cos I dont seem to lose weight half as much as some people I know who have taken up running and its dropping off them!

thanks for your replies, keep em coming!

Shell :-)
  • Yeah, i would check how many calories you are burning from training first. You dont want to cut the calories too much, so that you loose muscle essentially power. I would ensure that you eat plenty of protien to aviod the muscle wastage that could occur. Loosing too much weight too fast may mean that you loose muscle as well as fat.

I would recomend plenty of low fat cottage cheese and other low fat diary, all fish (except fish and chips- do you eat fish??), beans and lentils, eggs to get a decent amount of protien in.

Yeah, probably best to cut out alchohol too.

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Meakie,

It depends on a lot of factors, as the RDA for a female is 1940. How hard and how long do you train for etc, below are some rough examples of how the body burns its calories. As I say only rough, as I can burn over 1000 calories on a 1hr run whilst the chart gives the example 550.

Activity Time Calorie burn

Sleeping 1 hour 50

Reading 1 hour 60

Driving 1 hour 85

Walking 1 hour 270

Swimming 1 hour 330

Jogging 1 hour 550

Running 1 hour 620

I began to train last July and aimed to keep my calorie intake below 1500, and trained quite hard, and progressivley longer, I managed to loose 77lbs in 6 months. Of course I had the weight to shift, so I think it is a case of trial and error.

As stated above you will only know what works for you by keeping a diary of both food & training. Good luck.
    Do you eat quinoa? it's really good for you, high in fibre and protein and and it doesn't taste too bad from my experience. Also i love cerlery - don't know if that will help or not but i do love it...(sorry i love food). you could try roasted veg and quinoa (just mix the veg through the quinoa like rice/cous cous) which is very filling and healthy
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    hey Meakie, I train for at least two hours each day and eat very healthily and dont drink etc and I always stay the same size i.e carrying a bit extra.

I have done all that WW and SW but like you say they all seem to be obsessed by food and miniscule amounts of milk and whatnot and none of them ever seem to get off their fat arses do they? I used to cycle five miles to a meeting and they would all look on aghast! I am an average size twelve and they also would look at me accusingly for not being fat ENOUGH! Preposterous!

I have decided that for me, i have to accept that in order to lose weight, i have to be a little bit hungry. But when you're training hard you also need to fuel your training and anyone thats done a hard ride before breakfast will know the feeling that you get when you run out of juice a few miles from home!

train hard, eat well, you are what shape you are [8|]

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Jesster, better get some pies eaten then, just so you can fit in with the lardies..!! ;-)
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I don't think that you can take the same rules and apply it to many people. Especially when comparing losing the last couple of pounds to get to race weight. I've been trying to lose the last 4lbs to get down to what is an optimal racing weight for me, and in order to do it, I've got to be hungry when I'm going to sleep. My body just says no to shedding the more weight if I'm eating until no longer hungry in the evenings. I drink a lot of water or tea to make my stomach not feel empty, and am still on ~3200 cal/day. Things like celery, cucumber, lettuces are good things to help you feel like you're eating and satisfied without loading up on calories. The last handful of pounds are the hardest.

Also, remember that when your'e tapering for a race you will gain some pounds but this is most definetely not fat or bulk, instead its just increased interstitial water that your body will retain since you're slightly releasing it from the continuous stress of your training.

• BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Hear hear Jess. We are both the same in that respect. Annoying but a fact of life- just got to accept it I guess!

Meakie, to give you some encouragement I stayed the same weight FOR AGES like 6 months or so when I started training. Got disheartened as I was eating very well and taking care of eating the right things at the right time of day, stopped drinking alcohol midweek etc and was training loads and losing NOTHING.

Then all of a sudden it started dropping off and has stayed that way. Not dropping really quickly but I reckon this is a healthier and more permanent way to lose weight as I'm not doing anything drastic and although I eat healthily in the main weekdays I do allow myself treats at weekends and special occasions such as a few beers or takeaway with mates. This means that it is easier to stick to my diet as it's not a boring plan. I'm still dropping a bit but not too bothered about it all as long as I feel and look good. I think it took a long time as muscle was building up so although people said I was looking skinnier I didn't notice it as the scales were telling me differently. Throw the scales away!!!
  • BootooBootoo Posts: 29
    My training is changing my shape but I am not losing any weight at all, so I am asking for food alternatives as clearly I eat some of the right foods but perhaps need to change my diet as that can help boost weightloss too.

dont worry ( I can hear the panic in your reply!!) I am not going to get an eating disorder I just really want to see some change in my weight.

I will be happy to lose 1lb per week and know that some weeks I may not lose, I am only human afterall.

I have found this also. I have increased my training and I am burning more calories while eating the same but not loosing any weight. My shape is changing though and I am loosing size. I have come to the conclusion that the new exercises I am doing are building muscle at the moment and I am toning up/changing shape.

I am happy to continue with this for now as I understand that muscle uses more calories at resting than fat would so had assumed eventually I would

a) stop gaining muscle

b) start loosing some fat (assuming I maintain my food intake and exercise levels) because my resting calorie requirments will increase slightly

Does this sound about correct?

And yes it isn't fair that fat seems to fall off blokes without them trying! [:D]

And yes it isn't fair that fat seems to fall off blokes without them trying! [:D]

I wish that was true... It's easy to go from winter low training or relaxed weight to a good training weight, but [color="black"]too much training and cortisol levels shoot up and I have difficulty staying lean. I am good when I am on the "2 hour per day plan" (12-15 per week). Once I go higher then I've got to be intimately familiar with feeling hungry.

[/color]
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Just a quickie - I became very lean (comparable to my original body composition) after about 6 months of:

1. Triathlon training in earnest (i.e. not just a bike ride here and a nice swim there - but following a structured programme)

2. Eating foods (I'm also vegetarian) based on their glyceamic load: http://www.gl-diets.com/.

I started this solely as strategy to improve energy/well-being levels whilst dealing with severe long-term health problems as I didn't and don't need to lose weight/fat. However not only did my energy levels shoot through the roof, but I saw that my body composition changed. Basically the body fat became re-distributed or shed and I appear leaner.

I have heard from people who eat low GL foods that they have lost a significant amount of weight/body fat.

Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat though. Don't be a matyr to those bullying scales. Better to use the US Army body fat calculator which gives a more accurate idea of your body composition: http://www.calculator.net/army-body-fat-calculator.html

blurredgirl
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    An old chestnut. If you use the following equation weight loss is simple. Remember that nothing is easy and that it requires will power and an acceptance that lighter means faster!

Energy in comes from food. Energy out comes from training and physical work. The equation is...

Energy in must be less than energy out

Skinny is good, Fat is bad
    blurred - that body fat calculator - how does it work? it seems to be telling me i have 0% body fat . And believe me that is far from the truth...
    md6 wrote:

blurred - that body fat calculator - how does it work? it seems to be telling me i have 0% body fat . And believe me that is far from the truth...

Same here...

Jesster- THANKYOU!!! I thought I was gonna get slated for saying what I did about the ladies at the WW class, but BOY OH BOY you summed it up. Nah they hate exercise, they are too busy waiting for their next chocolate fix, and yes they think I am mad when i say I "love exercise".

Pah...

it was like being institutionalised, and I got sick of it.

hence asking for tips on here. I am pretty good with nutrition over all, I just think sometimes my portions go way over and then I wonder why i aint losing, cos its easy to eat too much thinking you are burning it off hey.

here is an example of my week - bear in mind I can only train in the evenings as I am up at stupid oclock with my 2hr commute each way to manchester for work ( grrrr)

monday - weight training - 45 mins, swim 30 mins

Tues - running club, run for at least 1 hr if not more, 9 min mile pace

weds - cycling 1 hr

thurs - running club, same as tues nite

fri - weights and swim same as monday

then I try to cycle at weekend too if I get a chance.

I kind of struggle to do any more than the above with my long commuting day..

• meakie wrote:

I am following a plan from runners world... why? is there a problem with that?

I would only be on 2000 anyway, less than a man

was just checking, seems kinda low is all, i usually use this article when cutting or gaining...but now you mention it maybe its not useful to women...doesnt seem to say :S

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi40.htm

Also if your cutting weight you should eat more protien, there a ton of articles kicking about to back this up (i am no expert myself), so maybe eat in a ratio that keeps the protiens high (like 30% carbs, 40% prots and 30% fats). Also eating the carbs earlier in the day and fats later at night will result in less fat being stored. Again though no expert just reading the articles. Hope some of this helps, Berardi's methods work for me and he also writes a lot of endurance articles (so he isnt just a meathead).

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi2.htm <- on endurance, recovery etc.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    WeightWatchers? It's just an exercise in self validation and group think. They have no interest in loosing weight - just being with others who are also fail to loose weight - so that there own lack of drive, laziness, inability to take effective action - doesn't stand out, and is, in fact validation as "the norm" - so OK. If you rock the boat and go against the group thinking, and actually loose some weight, you will be treated as a freak and cast out from the group.

Jack Hughes wrote:

WeightWatchers? It's just an exercise in self validation and group think. They have no interest in loosing weight - just being with others who are also fail to loose weight - so that there own lack of drive, laziness, inability to take effective action - doesn't stand out, and is, in fact validation as "the norm" - so OK. If you rock the boat and go against the group thinking, and actually loose some weight, you will be treated as a freak and cast out from the group.

You are probably right! To be honest I did it in 2006 before I took up running, and I lost 2 stone with them, but I am way down the line now of wanting to do it cos I just see myself as a different "breed" to many of them - eg, i was prob the youngest at my group, had to lose the least amount of weight and perhaps cynical into that I didnt want to buy into the WW branding this far down the line, I have lost weight before now doing it alone and they all sh*t themselves at the thought of going it alone "it never works on your own" they all say. Its like frikiing stepford!

but it does. My willpower now comes from me, not from paying someone else to tell me what I learned 3 yrs ago ( ok, so they did teach me some thing else I wouldnt have lost 2 stone back then) but now, I want to be my own person with my own nutrition education and not pay into WW bank account anymore!

I really appreciate all your replies, its refreshing!
  • Jesster wrote:
    you are what shape you are [8|]

Bahhh!!

Not true i say.

Meakie, if it was about how much we exercised then we'd be set. In my view, it's all about hom much goes IN. If we were to be completely honest with ourselves, we know what we are doing wrong food wise. maybe portion sizes, maybe eating when we're not really hungry (but it's 'lunchtime'.)

The difference between slim people and large people is how much they think about food. FACT. Slim people don't really eat until they feel like it!
    @ coma, he of the kettlebell/warrior diet malarkey.

I don't particularly care what you say! [:D]
    Jesster wrote:

@ coma, he of the kettlebell/warrior diet malarkey.

I don't particularly care what you say! [:D]

I agree with coma completely. It should say "you are what shape you are until you care enough to change it."

Jesster wrote:

The difference between slim people and large people is how much they think about food. FACT. Slim people don't really eat until they feel like it!

hmm I do beg to differ on that bit, I know loads of skinny people at work who eat all day, and eat cr*p too! but I know that they are fat on the inside! ever watched Jamie olivers tv show where he did tests on skinny and fat people. the fatter ones were fitter! the skinnier ones who lived on shoite but didnt gain weight, had more fat around their organs and werent as fit!

its just where we store it I guess.

I am a wee bit smug knowing this when the beanpoles at work are eating donuts all day [:D]
    Maybe they have a donut instead of dinner. perhaps youre the kind of person who would have a donut as well as dinner? i know i am.

fast/slow metabolism is really a load of cobblers. we're all the same in our ability to lose weight.....apart from most guys, who seem to find it a doddle! Grrrrr!
    nah they have breakfast, cr*p, lunch, cr*p, snack snack, then chav tea when they get home!

[:D]

they consume about 4000 calories a day some of em!!

believe me, its true!!
    Hmmmm fair point. I used to work for a 'model' who grazed on nothing but sweets and chocolate. size eight, she was. pretty too, but AWFUL skin.

And she was an arrogant twat. lol