Home› Chat› General Chat

strenght training

bryanbryan Posts: 45
just wondering what or if every1 still does strenght training with tri or wether it is completely cardio based training e.g. swim, bike and run? I've been swimming veryday and have only just started running again after a break and I bike twice a week. But as I am new to all this I have been working out in the gym for about 2 months solid of 3 sessions a week, focusing on free weights and machine work.

Question is where should I be focusing and how much of each? Have switched mentality to run everyday as I do with swimming, but should I keep the weight sessions??

cheers

B

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    Generally depends on your own needs. If you find you can't generate enough force to get up hills on the bike for instance then weights might be a good idea.

Alot of people do weight training in the winter to build up base strength then just do maybe one session a week for maintenance. To make it most effective you should make it specific both in terms of exercises and type of sets/reps working through maximum strength, muscular endurance etc.

I've stopped doing wgts cos I don't have enough time and have years of weight training behind me so don't feel I'm missing out too much.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    I do circiut training twice a week - its a good combination of CV and strength but without all that weight training stuff
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    I never use the gym (well, unless I'm doing an occasional trip offshore when I use the treadmill and cycling machine!)

I don't think anything can compare to being outside. I suppose I am somewhat fortunate to live half way up a mountain in the North east of Scotland. If I need to work on strength training, I do more hill work.

My swimming has built my upperbody to the level I need.

Being outside in winter has a massive pyschological effect as well. If its 5am, dark, freezing cold and raining, there ain't no better time for a quick 8-miler before work!
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228

Hi there,

I combine kettlebell work with chin ups, dips and press ups.

got everything I need in my garden I use Gymnast Rings for body weight exercise and Kettlebells do both strength and cardio training.

I would use strength training to SUPPLEMENT your triathlon training as it won't give you any gains otherwise!

cheers
  • steviedonssteviedons Posts: 10
    If you are looking for a good all body weights work out and you are a member of a gym then try Body Pump. Lower weights but a high amount of reps means its more muscle endurance than pure strength.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I have never had good upper body strength, I just do not have the physique for it (legs different matter), coupled with a weakend left shoulder from a car accident in New Zealand 20 years ago and spodilitis I had been experiencimng increasing levels of pain until Pilates sorted out my posture etc. Voila pain gone, able to start wieghts.

I have been doing Bodypump for a few months now and think I may be allergic as small bumps have appeared on my arms, my wife who is a doctor says they are 'muscles'. Never had them before and hope I get over it quickly.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I am a big believer in strenght trtaining and I dont mean weights!

I do around 2 or 3 session a week of core exercise which last around 20 -30 mins. I only use light weights and make sure I keep the reps high.

If you search under core exercise or PM Jesster you will get good info. Kesster has enlightened me to a pilate exercise with weights and sit up type things which is great. Jack hughes has a lot to tell about this to try him!

Good luck and soon you will have abs like IRON!
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Pump is supposed to be really good for strength but not so good on the stretching front, that's important too especially for back pain - all that cycling and running can equal short hamstrings and so pressure on the pelvis/lower back.

I have so many things to work on and so little time!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Since you are going to be swimming, cycling and running in triathlon, I would focus on these.

That said, strength training definitely has it's place a couple of times a week but not for the sake of swim/bike/run training.
    @Blinkybaz-that move rocks, doesn't it? I use it on the Marines here at work (I dont tell them it's a pilates move or they wouldnt do it) and they nearly cry like babies. lol [:D]
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I know they say that Triathlon training gives you a total body workout, but I still try attend at least one 1 hour general fitness class which involes core exercices, and lots of light weight work with huge numbers of repetitions, and general stretching and flexibility exercises. This doesn't actually build muscle mass, but provides excellent general muscle endurance, and core strength.

@ Jesster - You aint wrong babe! That is a great burner. I havent cried yet so must not be doing enough!!LOL

It hasbt toned me down there but they are like IRON and I mean IRON! Now I just need to look like iron! LOL
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I combine kettlebell work

Is that Coma in disguise :-)

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    what's this move Jesster?
    md6 wrote:

what's this move Jesster?

So it be the magic move you wants Hey (think of that as a pirate would say it)

I am not sure if the secret can be passed on again! You will have to cross Jesster hand with silver first!!!!!
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I'd be interested in knowing it too. My core strength is pretty rubbish.
  • bryanbryan Posts: 45
    did anyone notice this question was asked over a year ago?

just checking

but thx
    Who cares? still relevant, though AWFUL spelling!!

Well spotted! [8|]