Home Chat General Chat

nuun - it saved my life....

I agree, this stuff is great i never use anything else now.

Comments

• BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    I'm a new fan of this too.

I used it for the first time this weekend and it was truly amazing. Felt life pour back into my legs after a few of the first tiring climbs on the hot (OK, it wasn't Hawaii hot, but it was quite punishing for us wannabes this weekend) bike route. It picked me up so, so well and it even tastes nice.

I had a sports massage right after the race and the masseur asked me if I drank a lot of water because I was 'really well hydrated'. So there you go. Magic stuff.

blurredgirl
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I love Nuun. Its the only thing I don't mind drinking 3-4 litres of over a long day without making me feel like there's a gallon of liquid sloshing around in my stomach. It goes right in and the taste is just fine. I dillute it more than recommended though, 750ml per tab instead of 500. I hate sodium or salt tabs with a passion and Nuun keeps going strong.

This might be the minority, but I like eating my calories on the bike rather than drinking them. Taking a GO bar every 50-60 minutes and a bottle of Nuun every hour has worked like a charm for me.

• PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Interesting.

I was about to start a thread on Diarolyte which is what I mix into my water on a hot day. I like it because it doesn't come with built in traithlon tax.

To all who posted positively about Nuun above, would you say the advantage of Nuun vs. Diarolyte is as significant in an OD race - even on a hot day?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    will have to give it another go - was too salty for me the last time I tried it but then again once upon a time I couldn't drink SiS and have been drinking it over the last few runs without a gag or hurl in site[:'(]
    It tastes a lot different when you drink it before going out on your bike and after two hours sweating buckets. Same with Gatorade and SiS and all the rest. You're going to love drinking some things towards the end of a race and be disgusted with others, even though normally you'd think both taste quite bad.
  • I love blue nun
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    PC_67 wrote:

Interesting.

I was about to start a thread on Diarolyte which is what I mix into my water on a hot day. I like it because it doesn't come with built in traithlon tax.

To all who posted positively about Nuun above, would you say the advantage of Nuun vs. Diarolyte is as significant in an OD race - even on a hot day?

Hmmm,

On monday when I do one of my bricks, after coming of a quick bike session (20ish k) and then into a 8ish k run, I drank some water as I was needing a drink as I came off the bike. I felt it sloshing about in the belly and then bang.... up it came.... twice.

Would I be wrong in thinking that I need nuun??? I've never had this and I put it down to the warm temps and being dehydrated...
    shadowone1 wrote:
    ORIGINAL: PC_67

Interesting.

Hmmm,

On monday when I do one of my bricks, after coming of a quick bike session (20ish k) and then into a 8ish k run, I drank some water as I was needing a drink as I came off the bike. I felt it sloshing about in the belly and then bang.... up it came.... twice.

Would I be wrong in thinking that I need nuun??? I've never had this and I put it down to the warm temps and being dehydrated...

I doubt that is the same issue. When I puke after running I think its because my stomach muscles are so tense and they just want to get rid of anything that would make them work at all. If you'd waited 5 minutes before going for the water I bet you'd have been alright. Being dehydrated after 20k on the bike is probably not an issue.

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I'm getting confused, and I find nutrition confusing anyway.

When would I use something like Nuun over just H20?

Does it only have a benefit when training/racing over certain distances?
    The basic thinking is that when you're sweating, you're not just loosing water. A lot of salts come out with that water. If you're replacing salt water with just water, then you're going to run out of salt eventually. (Unless there is some salt reservoir that's hiding around...) Also, your body can absorb liquids with salts in them better than just plain water. It helps keep your kidneys and stomach happy to have salt around. That's why Gatorade is there alongside water, not just for more sponsorship space.

For events less than 3 hours, I doubt it makes a big difference if you go water vs. complex chemistry. Longer than that, and you've got to worry about the potential of getting dehydrated and keeping your nutrition/digestion in order.

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Thanks guys, I'm marginally less confused now. So does Nuun do the same as products like Gatorado/Powerbar (which are divvied out en route of races like IM) and product like SIS Go Electrolyte, or do they do serve different purposes?
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    interesting post!

has got me tempted, as given the recent heat (albeit nothing compared to Hawaii) i have been thinking about sodium tabs for IMUK if a hot day.

for nuun, i get how you can use it on the bike stage, but what about the run section? during the marathon, you wont be carrying your own water, and and when passed to you in cups would be hard to drop in the tablets? Do they do gels also or just tablets?
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    MrSquishy wrote:

Thanks guys, I'm marginally less confused now.  So does Nuun do the same as products like Gatorado/Powerbar (which are divvied out en route of races like IM) and product like SIS Go Electrolyte, or do they do serve different purposes?

Yeah - I'd like to know the answer to that one too - Isn't SIS Go doing the same thing?
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    sis go and gatorade contain much more sugar than nuun, so the benefit of nuun is that you only get your salts from it and it is therefore much easier to controll your food startegy if you wanna call it that. Gatorade and sis go also contain vital salts. Personally i find Nuun is much easier on my stomach
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I hate salt. Well, it concerns me. I suspect these things are fine for youn 'uns. I wonder how much research has been done on the sodium requirements of 40+ age group athletes.
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    don't ask me! lol. Erm maybe google it?
  • jellybellyjellybelly Posts: 42
    I love nuun! Discovered it last weekend, just wish I had some in preparation for the monsta hangover I am certainly due tomorrow morning [:'(]

[align=right] [/align]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Personally, I'm fine with lucozade sport, either pre-mix or powder (powder preferred) and I can just about handle Gatorade but it gives me acid if I have too much.

tbh I'm completely unprepared in eating-strategy terms for my first 70.3 on Sunday.

I was planning on excellent hydration through the two days before, a nice early breakfast of meusli on the day, Lucozade sport all over my bike and transition area and a handy store of Soreen Slices and jelly babies for the tough times.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    @Jack Hughes: Oi, less of the young. I'll be 44 this year [:(]

Nuun suits me better than any sports drink - but it's a good point you have. Certainly worth some research.

blurredgirl
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Good luck on Sunday Bopo, look forward to hearing how you get on.

• hillclimb1hillclimb1 Posts: 16
    Hi - quick question on this nuun drink...

by the looks of it it comes in the form of a tablet which you add to a water (i.e. in a similar format to say berocca...).

However when doing a long race do you mix it first in your water bottle (i.e. before the race start) and then leave it in the bottle, or do u add it during the race?

Can imagine it would be quite difficult to open the lid of my waterbottle and add the tablet whilst riding a bike ?

Thanks!
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    addicted to the tri-berry nuun, drank it the morning of the race, in my bottle for the bike and then had it in a bottle to run with.

only problem i had was running with the bottle with it in, found it actually fizzes up again...not what was needed for a very hot day so binned the bottle and went with the water stations.......reckon for me personally on sprint distance getting enough on the bike leg would allow a gel at t2 and just water on the run leg...
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    hillclimb - yep premix all of it...they come in tubes of 12 tabs...and i made all of mine early morning of the race day...fizzes for couple of mins then ready, worth playing with the mix, sometimes i have used 1 tab or 2 depends on bottle size etc...as to buying it i found supplier on ebay one of the best...I checked out the different flavours by getting single tubes first then just bought a pack of 5 tubes of the one i liked best..mine was tri-berry to go with the blackcurrant SIS gel)
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Holy cow, I was just in superdrug and found myself wandering the aisles, until I spotted the diarolyte and its generic alternative. So i bought some of the superdrug stuff (cranberry apparently), having been interested in this since reading this thread. Well I just mixed up a batch and its foul! A hint of cranberry is quickly overpowered by a mouthful of salty water. Flashbacks to days gone by and learning to surf. Ok I know thats the point of this stuff, but the nuun Ive ordered has got to taste better than this. Sounds like my choice of tri-berry nuun was a good one. Maybe my little wiggle bag will be waiting for me later, hopefully with haribos.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    All very interesting and informative....except there seems to be an application of long distance strategies to short distance races.

On yer average sprint...good old H2O will do it everytime, no gels, no mix no nowt...that said it will do no harm either.

I still struggle with the concept of disastrous salt loss thru sweating, physiologically we have an incredibly complex & fine tuned system of electrolyte control thru the kidneys, it seems odd to me that this can all be overridden by letting all these electrolytes go thru sweating. I think it is Dr Noakes who has done lots of research on this & most problems are caused by overdrinking, particularly water which dilutes electrolytes, rather than depletion thru sweat.

So nuun tabs can be of use I guess, but not in the way it seems we are thinking & only in more extreme temps such a Conehead contended with.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    A finger of fudge was just enough to save my skin when I bonked on the bike once, it gave me enough energy to get to a shop where I overdosed on lucozade - maybe I should have stopped at a convent!!
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Okay so here is a bit of a random question - I am doing the UK 70.3 next weekend (OMG...the FEAR is creeping back) and I am trying to get my head around nutrition....

I hate Gatorade and Powerbar makes me vom.... [:'(]

Therefore I have played with all sorts of SIS/Hi5/other sports drinks mixes...

I have come up with the decision that Hi5 is the way to go with regular gels as per their website.

However...

I did a sprint tri at the weekend (well some transition practice with a bit of physical effort thrown in....) and I had a play with Hi5 EnergySource Extreme and 4:1 in competition....and yet again I found that as soon as the HR increased and the pressure was on I had the slosh/slosh feeling going from bike to run.....this has not happened in training.....

What am I doing wrong? Should I think of switching to Nuun (which I loooove the Lemon and Lime flavour of and drink all the time (when training)) earlier on the bike and just go to water/isogels on the run....

Thoughts anyone.....

Iain.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Thank CH I will give it a go - when I get back from the US of A......I hate airports....

Just quickly the amount of fluid - I was expecting to get through about 3L over the bike (I am not a lite triathlete - 89kg) would you think that is too much?

I.
  • Hi Guys, I've found this thread really interesting but also slightly daunting since I get the feeling I my not have properly understood how important nutrition/hydration is on long distance events. I'm doing IMUK this August but I'm completely new to this long distance malarkey and am increasingly confused by raceday nutrition.

My current aproach is to drink Lucozade "Body Fuel". I get the powder and go for the little and often approach taking swigs every 15 minutes. I do this on all training rides to make sure I'm used to it and most training runs (Unfortunately due to injury my running is constrained to the gym so I haven't tried carrying drink with me on the road). On longer rides I also take a lucozade gel about every hour. My stomach seems to take all this fine.

My first question is abut this nuun stuff... what is the main difference from drinking Lucozade? I saw apana's post about higher sugar content of Lucozade/Gatorade etc. but I'm still confused about the functional implications of this? Other than being possibly easier on the stomach than lucozade etc. what are the advantages of something like Nuun?

Second is aid stations... (probably foolishly) I hadn't really given these much thought. My bike is covered in bottle cages, I carry everything I need for long rides with me and was planning on doing the same in the race. Is this what people normaly do, or do they carry minimal drink on the bike and just pick up fresh supplies as they go around. Shedding some surplus bottles would save me a fair bit of weight!

Does anyone know of any good beginner's literature on Nutrition/hydration for IM distance races? I clearly haven't given this enough thought!
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Step 1) Done (just waiting for it to arrive)

Step 2) Is there going to be a long distance one in the North / Midlands ??

Ta