Home Chat General Chat

Jesster's favourite core move-by popular demand!

Fanks Jesster.

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Righto, you lot wanted the one that makes the marines weep (well, nearly. it's quite hard to make marines actually cry, i've found)

Sit on the floor with good posture ie back and neck aligned and abs engaged, knees bent at 90 degrees and soles flat on floor.

outstretch arms in front of you over your knees, palms facing up

inhale a deep breath and exhale as you lower your upper body slowly towards the floor for a count of five. stop when approximately halfway to the floor. hold for five.

slowly open your arms to either side of you. hold for five. you may well experience some shaking. keep feet on floor please!

slowly bring hands back in front of you, hold for five, and raise back up super-slowly for a count of five. rest and repeat four more times.

make sure posture is good, spine/neck aligned and abs engaged at all times.

For difficulty, add dumbells in each hand.

for variation, instead of opening arms either side when in the half way down position. clasp hands together and turn upper body to face one side and then, slowly, the other. should hit those low side abs.

Do all movements super-slowly and you'll be right.

Let me know how you get on! [:D]
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    My fave is a V sit with someone throwing a decent weight medicine ball out to the side for me to catch and return. First time I did it I bowled myself right over!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Cheers Jess
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Hmmmm...make sure you have no back problems before you try this one.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    reminded me a bit of joga postures, slowly slowly, hold, slowly slowly up.

there were some days the teacher would have us grinding our teeth in pain as we held some tortuous pose. i haven't done a class in a couple of years now, i aught to look one up again.

specificity?...carry over to tri?
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Sounds painful, but I'll give it a go.
    Ah, Britspin, forever the disapproving teacher lol just because you didnt think of it .... [;)]
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Oh my dear God, that hurts like nothing i have ever felt before.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Great, another exercise to do in our low-budget ultra-masculine gym. Thanks Jesster, I'll give it a go 2mo and see if can get even more people to give me the evil eye. I reckon all of the guys there think Ive gone to the dark side cos I use Swissballs, the 2kg dumbells and dont stare at myself in the mirror for ages to "check out the traps". Gyms are funny places.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    @ Bman - Sounds like you have left the dark side and hall of mirrors well behind and have found enlightenment through core!

Ah, Britspin, forever the disapproving teacher lol just because you didnt think of it .... [;)]

Au contraire..err Grasshopper, moved on. ...don't do abdominal stuff like that any more, work a more integrated global core system.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Britspin wrote:

Au contraire..err Grasshopper, moved on

That's sickeningly timely. I hope you're not planning any of the moves that I thought a 72 year would have grown out of by now. [All very sad of course, and I shouldn't really comment on press speculation]

I suspect that Saturday evenings watching Kung-Fu might have been quite a formative experience for us VM45s.

But I will be trying out Jesssster's move tonight. I expect it will make me giggle rather than cry though.

• thats actually a pretty good hit...

Whats it called?

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    Baz, I certainly hope so, although I do miss the "burn" and wobbly legs of heavy weights. But trying to work the old slow twitch rather than fast is tricky. I just seem to put on muscle doing most kinds of exercise. Suppose its a legacy of years at the gym. But it doesnt help cos Im trying to lose the weight.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I did it in the gym today and it was a doddle. Chris challenged me to do it as I said I thought it would be easy...and it was! He also got me to lightly pump my arms when they were out in front or out to the sides. When I could still do that easily enough he brought in the weights. Still no problem so he gave up! He however, refused to do it, in case he couldn't. Men! I do a lot of V sits and am a great believer in slow and controlled movements, brilliant for building strength. I do have a big tummy but its all fat, underneath it my abs are pretty strong following years of horse riding, kick boxing and yoga.
  • so jesster, were they glad to see the back of you in guantanamo?
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Jack Hughes wrote:
    ORIGINAL: Britspin

Au contraire..err Grasshopper, moved on

I suspect that Saturday evenings watching Kung-Fu might have been quite a formative experience for us VM45s.

I can do the rice paper thing,but holding the hot cauldron,that bloody hurt.
    Britspin, there are quite a few of us that work in fitness and no-one's trying to do you out of your job! It feels like youre trying to gain some one-upmanship and this confuses me. Why are you being all spiky? [8|]
    Many apologies if that is how it came across, that was not my intention at all.

I was coming from a point of view that I would have serious issues with this kind of move in my gym due to the potential for back injury vs the efficacy of the movement..a cost to benefit ratio if you will, so I thought it fair to flag this up to anyone who may have back problems (& we are legion!) who may be reading, I was not taking a pop at you at all.

The afterthought of specificity came from the same place, as in training time is precious, gym time more so bacause we want to be out there doing it, so I want targetted work for a specific purpose, which would mostly be supporting by back thru increased core strength whilst horizontal in the swim & bike & vertical on the run, non of which are adressed in this movement...to my way of thinking.

As we well know there are no absolutes in fitness (or much else) so in no way am I ever going to say you were wrong & I am right, because we are both at the same time, its just not a path I would choose for myself or my clients..however was I training a bunch of gung ho squaddies (again I mean no offence) who are used to & expect beastings & encounter situations that triathletes should never face in an event (or ever) then I may well choose differently.

I hope that all makes sense, and that you can accept my unequivocal apology if I managed to offend you, that was in no way my intention.

We must get together & bore the pants off each other about fitness sometime!
    Oooh. I think it's a great move. Not sure if I have it quite right though. Attached is a picture so you see see what I am doing wrong!

[image]local://2493/EBD1843405E9471B88E99E8BC65A6F79.jpg[/image]
    Actually, I have been to the gym. Enjoyed it - the move I mean (I had lost so much condition since last time I went - pre-injury - and gained 9lbs of blubber during the time - that the rest of the session was not so enjoyable).

Had to extend the hold to 15 seconds though to feel it. It's when the arms go out that you can feel it. Nice.

It's a bit like one I do with a double grip medicine ball. Moving the ball from side to side, lowering to the floor.. slowly.. at each side.

I'm wondering about your Marines though Jessssster - sure it's not the Boy's Brigade?
    lol boys brigade, they are a bunch of quietly weeping softies really that like rom-coms and a nice foot massage. likin' mungo's style too, kinda b-boying!

and britspin, it's not a hardcore move, it's merely pilates, but thanks for straightening out our tete a tete anyway! May i also add that i was asked to explain the move, it's up to the user to decide whether it's relevant to tri or whether they want to include it.

Take care, all. Peace X
    Yes indeedy, you can lead horses to water & all that, which is why I put my warning on.

Just 'cuz its Pilates does not mean it is a safe & appropriate move for anyone/everyone. In this respect Pilates gets an easy ride from lots of fitness pros..'If its pilates it must be OK.' seems to be the accepted wisdom.

If I have my history correct it was a regime set up on a pick & mix type (bit of yoga, bit of stretching, bit of dance etc) back ground by a dancer for dancers & it stayed there until the 'fitness industry' decided it needed another area to exploit & now its pretty mainstream, but not at all benign, like any exercise modality there are contraindicated & controversial moves, which means not everyone can or should do everything therein contained, any more than eating 'all natural' or 'chemical free' is suitable for everyone or as benign as it sounds..nature produces some pretty toxic substances with no help from us...& its all 'chemicals' to a degree.

As I alluded to previously I always take a look at what is offered, try it, look how it will benefit me (or not), if it is safe, if it is appropriate, is it specific, does any risk outweigh the benefit (or not) & then go with it or not as appropriate, this is how I construct schedules for myself & my clients, I will always be able to justify why I am doing what I am doing.

Now shoot me down in flames, but that is why I remain unconvinced by kettlebells, I have seen nothing in all the research, classes I have taken etc that can convince me that there is anything to be done with them that I could not do with my existing dumbbells & medicine balls, in a safer way in some cases, so we will not be spending money on them at my place anytime soon.

Again, just my opinion but one I am more than happy to defend & subject to scrutiny.
    Britspin, you're a really smashing chap and all that, and this is really important stuff. But I can see that why Jesster was a bit miffed - she's only just qualified, probably still feels a bit insecure about these things, and would have been really pleased that people were asking for details of a move, which she gave. It is a good one, but, like all these things caveat emptor. So it's a bit of a pity that this important topic is on this thread where your quite justified criticism of the _general_, comes across as a bit _specific_. Ho hum.

Now that I've probably wound you both up, I will attempt to make this topic even more general. (Ahem, Clears throat):

----

Evidence Based

Anyone with even a passing interest will have come across the term "Evidenced Based Medicine" in the last few years. It's a bit of a mantra. To the layman, it seems a bit shocking - the idea that how you diagnose, and treat, should be based on specific scientific evidence of the efficacy of the diagnosis and treatment methods, should be so. "Wasn't it always thus?" would be your thoughts. No. Medicine is, still, predominantly based on quackery: well, I gave him some Arsenic and has rash got better.. I'll give it to the next guy with a rash.

Anyway, if it's bad enough in Medicine, it's even worse in the area of "Sports Science". By that I mean everything from training though to nutrition, injuries and all points in between. Quackery pervades - the latest fads predominate. It is difficult to see what is "real" and what just "seemed like a good idea".

Too often, if an elite does well, there specific training practices are rolled out, and applied willy-nilly to other athletes. If someone eats 50 pickled eggs before a race, and wins, then soon enough, pickled eggs as a pre-performance diet will start to be the norm.

I'm deeply skeptical of much of the ideas of nutrition - especially when it comes to supplements and so on. The same applies to training methods - whether it's vibrating plates, kettlebells, or heaving scotch eggs up to the ceiling (made that last one up - but you didn't notice).

When a systematic study has been made, the study is usually on very small samples, where the sample is drawn from an extreme - either elite athletes, or the chronically sick. Individuals whose physiology is often markedly different from the norms.

Anyway, what this means that most of what you here is wrong. There's a lot of money being made out of this too.

I happen to like things like: Jack Daniels Running Formula, Total Immersion - where there has been some attempt to base the ideas on some soft of scientific study - even if they may be somewhat flawed. I dislike things like supplements, recovery/energy drinks etc. etc.

It also means that the side with the best marketing - or the loudest voice - tends to predominate.

Humbug to the lot of it.

Congratulations, Jack. My brain has just imploded.....AGAIN! Righto, I'm off to read a few more books.... lol
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    "Oooh. I think it's a great move. Not sure if I have it quite right though. Attached is a picture so you see see what I am doing wrong

Evidenced Based Medicine"
    [quote]ORIGINAL: Jack Hughes

tee hee will have to show the spaniel and retriever convince them that they to can be tri dogs[:D]

let me tell you there's more art still than science in all aspects of health care

Apologies all..it seem sthe more I try to make this generic the more specific it becomes.

I really am in no position to shoot anyone down in flames & have no intention of so doing, as the venerable Jack says & you can guess from other posts by me, I too do not seek to endorse the snake oil salesman, the new guru, the latest fad/supplement/whatever.

I am deep in this industry & feel a lone voice sometimes shouting...'do more, eat less & more carefully..errrr thats it really.' Because that is all there is behind the curtain..honestly.

So again I must apologise specifically to Jess & to anyone else I may have upset, not my intention at all..anyone who shows the passion that Jess has to post & to give me my reply would be a welcome addition to my gym team, because she clearly does think for herself.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    A good debate is great as it shows that nobody is getting left out,personally I would like more people to think outside the box/triangle etc and try something different,be more heretical with your outlook on fitness,treat the cause not the symptoms,if we don't experiment we will not evolve.
    I'll speak to you tomorrow! And get to bed. You have an early start!