Home Chat General Chat

Wet transitions - tips needed

Hi, Looks like Blenheim is going to be very wet . I have had the luck that I have never raced in the rain.

Any tips for transitions in the rain. Where is the best place to get a plastic box to keep everything dry

Cheers

Jimbo

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    wilko's for a lidded plastic crate?

i think i need to get one for sunday as well, unless i want my running shoes to float away.

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/57192396

Anything like that will do.

My advice from bitter experience, get one with a lid or turn it upside down so it doesn't fill with water and all your kit floats away.

• joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    oh lord...I despise the rain, but did do Eaton the other week in wind and rain!! Take lots of bin liners......buggar buggar buggar..give me sunshine and heat anyday... ah well..!!![:o][:o]
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    talc in the shoes
  • TeapotTeapot Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any tips about what to wear? Is there any point in taking a waterproof jacket for the bike and run?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Teapot - probably no point as you'll be wet from the swim, then will get hot and swaety anyway - I love running in the rain. It may be worth a cap to keep the rain out your the eyes.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I'm a bit worried about the sausage fingers; you know, when your hands get so cold from the wet that you can't change gear?

I wonder if rain would lend a sort of wartime spirit to the whole thing. Needing to look positively on it, because otherwise it's just disappointing! For so many of us it'll be our first triathlon.

Also though, on the plus side, I won't get a large expanse of my back sunburnt due to the wetsuit rubbing off my factor 50.

Small consolations really! But I'm trying to be positive.....

The Blenheim website says we had a fantastic weekend and can now enter for 2010 so maybe they have seen into the future and the sun will shine after all!
    Sorry was a bit hasty on the talc in shoes. I keep my shoes in the box to keep them dry if it's raining so talc before I go off for swim. Not good enough yet to put shoes on bike.
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Juleso, sign up for Tough Guy 2010, if its as cold next year as it was this year, I have never felt so cold therefore your training / racing will never feel cold again.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    It was dumping down at the Stratford sprint last October, so I made sure I had plenty of placcy bags - put my trainers in one so they were still dry at T2. Had some arm warmers ready in T1 for the bike (it was October though so this might not be required for a June race) and made sure I had the clear lenses in my glasses for the bike.
    Hi Gavin. I'm in for Tough Guy next year. Why oh Why do I do these things to myself [:o]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Put a set of dry kit shoes/sandals and towel in the very bottom of the box you'll appreciate them when its all over
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I do put talc in my bike shoes but I also put vaseline around the heel cups which I think helps more. Same for my trainers.

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Toughguy for me was also my induction into Tri, but like some things, it just calls you back year after year....a love hate relationship - I hate it when I am doing it but love it once I have finished.