Home Chat General Chat

build your own tt bike?

have a silly idea in my head to build a tt bike from scratch, problem is have no expierence of such things, was thinking of doing it as a long term project, buying bits as i can afford them, has anyone done this? where do i start, how do i know which frame to choose, am i being stupid? any advice gratefully recieved.

Comments

• apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    many people choose to build their bikes from scratch. Just make sure you know your budget and do some research into parts i.e english or itallian bottom brackets, 1 1/18" headsets, compatability of parts (you need the right hub for the cassete etc. good luck
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I have thought about doing this myself as well, and came to the conculsion that building the best tt bike I could would take ages because I wouldn't ever be able to afford all the components I would want!!! [:D]

Good luck if you decided to do it, and get some good literature and tools if you do take the plunge. Be interested to see how it all comes together!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I thought of that but instead bought my Focus Tria instead - with all the Wiggle discounts at £900 - bargain. Worked out the component cost alone was about that so I got the frame, cables and assembly for free.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I think TommiTri built his own bike relatively recently so maybe give him a tinkle for some first hand advice. I know he was remarking recently about the increase in price of components making it less cost-effective than a year or two ago.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Building your own will give you a fantastic chance to think ouside the 'Triangle'.You could be boring and go down the mainstream route,standard TT frame based on the UCI sanctioned triangle based frame or source a more radical based frame.You could pick up a decent second hand one with little use or one that has been sitting unused and comes up for sale.The frames I had in mind would be.

Kestrel airfoil pro,

C4 Joker

Titanflex

the above 3 are still available new,

Softride,maybe the Rocketwing,sadly the company is out of business,but frames and bikes appear regularly on Ebay.Infact a frame id up onat the moment in the States.

Trek Y-Foil,a beast of beauty.

Just think different.