Home Chat General Chat

how long to train for a 70.3?

md6md6 Posts: 969
OK I'm being suked in by all the talk of Ironman and Half Ironman etc, so how long does/should it take to train for a 70.3?

To give you an idea of where I am fitness wise, I've done 1 sprint so far (have another few and an OD this year) i can swim 1k in the pool pretty comfortably, i have run a 1:55 half mara (c*cked up with water stations or it would have been 1:42ish although i am confident that I can go quicker than that at the next attempt).

so assuming a 12hour p/w training how long would realisticly take to get to the point of doing 70.3?

sorry i know this will vary a lot but i am seriously considering one towards the end of the season if i can find one

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    In a bookshop buying a book on "How life ruined my Triathlon" by Rookie Day?

Or have I got confused by all your subtle messages.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Conehead wrote:

You know where you need to be on 20th June don't you....??

i'm doing the henley sprint the next day otherwise i would have been in there for the LD rookie day?
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    md6, are you doing 12 hours per week training now? I'd struggle to get that much in what with family and work commitments.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Jack Hughes wrote:

In a bookshop buying a book on "How life ruined my Triathlon" by Rookie Day?

Or have I got confused by all your subtle messages.

I've got conehead's book on order (amazon).

Should arrive today or tomorrow morning. Looking forward to reading it.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Jules - on a good week yes, but generally including the bike commute i'm doing about 8-10 hours, but intend to up this a bit as i have to do more bike and want to get my run times down - aiming for a 22min 5k in either the Henley sprint or the one in Hyde Park (hyde park is more realistic but we'll see). Family? that's a term i haven;t heard in a while...oh yes the GAT officer does get rather annoyed about the training time, but as she's just started half mara training she'll be out there too a lot more so i have some 'free' training time

S11 - it is definately well worth reading!