Home Chat General Chat

my 1st tri

Well done!!!! :)

Its a good psychological boost to know despite the rubbish weather you can still push yourself and finish:)

A big well done, Looking forward to reading the report!!

Keep up the good work :)

Comments

• teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    just finished my 1st race and i could of swam the hole thing lol never seen rain like it. Report 2 follow.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Yeah! Well done. Now, stop drinking the champagne, and get onto to the FIFTH discipline - writing the race report! Love to hear the "how does it compare with a bike race" angle.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Well done! Which race was it?

I just did the national sprint champs in MK, it was horrible! There was wind, heavy rain even hail stones on the bike!

My hands were so cold coming off the bike I couldn't get my running shoes on in T2!

It would have been a great race if not for the weather!
    it was braintree sprint and in 13 yrs of cycling it was 1 of the worst conditions i've ever raced in lol
  • lee scottlee scott Posts: 2
    also competed in braintree tri,is it normal to have to wear googles on run!dreadful weather,bring on culford
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Seems it was universal..Barton sprint, wind, hail, thunder & lightning, rivers for roads.....
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    we were obviously lucky in Wiltshire... kennet kanter (10 mile run) was warm weather. lovely morning's run out (even with the 2 mile ascent of caen hill locks! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Caen.hill.locks.in.devizes.arp.jpg)

didds

Here we go Race report - Braintree Sprint tri

Up @ 5:30 feeling excited and really looking forward to the race. A little rain outside but didn't bother me like a little rain.

Car was packed the night b4 so load up my babe and drag the wife out to the car and off we go. Arrive at 7:30 15mins before race breifing so wonder over a listen to what was said before heading back to the car to sort out myself out take bike and bits and pieaces to transition and head to the pool to see the eary starters and to find out what was going on. As i stood there watching the heavens opened and o my god it really did come down. Decided i was going to run my cycling jersey over to transition cos the wind really stared to pick up. 9:25 came around quickly so guess it was time for me to round to the buisness side of things.

The pool - Cap on googles on and was time to go. Was really surprised we were not given a few lengths to warm up (don't no way don't no what other events do) Off i went felt really good really relexed but my googles stated letting in water so at the end of the 4th length stopped quickly to empty out and off i went the rest went quickly and was given the sign for 2 to go. out i climbed 7.58 best ever time and that was also time aloud to walk right round the pool and to the fire exit. Was pleased ggod start.

T1 - Out the pool doors and into the down poor and started the run to transition. struggled abit getting cycling jersey on but the rest went soothly running out of the tennis courts looking for the line to get on my bike think i ran a bit past it cos someone rode fast me so on i got and off i went.

Bike - Started well but got round the 1st few corners and suddenly i couldn't see the road in front of me the rain was coming down so hard it was stinging. Keep pushing on the course should of suited me hilly course and was plenty of chances to grind a big gear. Wasn't happening tho at points on the course the water on the ground was coming past my ankles and couldn't see the pot holes on the sides of the road and saw a few poor soles with flat tires. Felt like i was riding for ages but got back in the end off my bike and ran back into the tennis courts to rack my bike. 44.57 bit pissed off done it in practice the week b4 and done it nearly 10mins faster but hey ho thats the way it goes.

T2 - Rack my bike, helmet off number belt round off i go 5k to go nearly there.

Run - Legs feeling heavy expected it been practicing my bike 2 run but really struggled getting going past my wife and daughter who were shouting at the tops of there lungs. Didn't realise how much of the course was off road the rain hadn't let up at all and was slidding all over the place really should get some trainers with grip on lol. Came round to the end of the 1st lap and was starting to get into the run a bit starting to speed up and get into my stride and was running harder into the slippy corners no the route now came across the line out sprinting 4-5 people down the last 400m and i was glad to finish. 27.50 was alot slower than i would of liked have done it in 22mins b4 but wasn't in those conditions .

1.20.45 was my final time bit dispointed but there is always next time.

10mins after finishing the rain all most stopped couldn't believe it everyone starting later must of had such an advantage but thats sport lol.

Overall tho in a sick way i did enjoy it and am gagging for the next one and can't wait to get back training and being faster next time.

[image]http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs051.snc1/4463_87729673991_504718991_1876314_4188122_n.jpg[/image]
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    great report teamspirit, sounds like the weather conditions were pretty foul. we had 2 heavy hail storms at cricklade that made the bike section in particular feel trecherous. luckily they were quite short but riding at any serious pace was completely out.

congrats on finishing it in the heaving downpours, and that swim pb!

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    belting race, great report.

In the conditions that was fantastic!

didds