Home Chat General Chat

TT bike or road bike?

Hi there,

this has probably been asked before, but i am finally upgrading my road bike (entry level Trek) and i am unsure whether to go for a TT bike - for good training days and races, or a better road bike with tri bars (max budget £1500).

I will be keeping my current bike for commute/training in rain so whichever bike i get will be 'kept for best' and race days.

I will no doubt end up with both bikes eventually, but for now...which one should i get first?!

Thanks!

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It all depends on what you want to do/how much you want to spend/how many bikes you want!

The hilly and bendier a course is, the less time you can spend on the tri bars. There are other differences - in the frame geometry, so you might not be as comfortable on longer distances.

If you want to get really good times, and do a lot of TTs, i.e. take the racing really seriously, or can afford the space for a number of bikes, then a tri type bike would do. If you have a more limited budget, less space and what to do a variety of things - e.g. sportifs, then a better road bike might be more appropriate.

In an ideal world, of course, you would have both.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Just wanted to chip in quick to say that anyone based in the south looking to buy a new bike this week would do well to visit the Evans warehouse sale. Just got back with a few bargains (half price Scott Comp road shoes, 2 £10 quality jerseys, new trye, tubes for £2 etc etc...) and there are some true bike bargains there. Road bikes - some nice Pinnacles for about £200 less and some great TT bikes too. Not the world's greatest Evans fan - but this sale really does have some proper bargains.

blurredgirl

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    If your keeping your 'commute' bike then go for a TT bike:)

Youll have one of each then:)

Check out Bridgetown Cycles in Cannock they have a few Framesets going cheap.... and within your budget to buy then buy components separate too to customise it for you!!!

Here is a very nice Scott Plasma 52cm frameset...

http://www.btownbikes.com/products.php?plid=m5b0s169p921

What size frame are you looking for?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    TT bike aggressive geometry but fast and can be uncomfortable

Road bike more comfortable but not as fast but more versatile.

If you only have one bike go road if its a second race bike go TT

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    personally I think there is nothing more uncomfortable than a road bike trying to be a tri bike

I think for 1500 you should go with the tri bike, try to get a 2nd hand deal on something like a Cannondale slice, planet x etc. there are loads of them.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Agreed with Tommitri

You have a road bike and can do your commuting, shop runs and even bike/tri club runs, why bother getting another road bike, slap on aero bars and get a comprimised performance.

I recommend the successor to my bike (Focus Izalco Tria) the Focus Culebro Tria, yours for £1,011

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Culebro_Tria_2009/5360037593/

Top tip, you say you have a max budget of £1,500, buy £100 worth of gear from Wiggle, become a Gold customer, then order the Culebro and you get 5% or £50 off i.e £960

OR - as we are part way through you may get a good bargain, a friend of mine got a Felt B2 at almost half price from a team that had only been raced for 4 months. But definitely go for a Tri bike proper. In fact I am more comfortable on my tri bike than the road bike - see my other postings on bike fit etc as I have included quite a few links you may want to look up.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Same as conehead, same as zacnici, I was going to mention in my post that in the aero position even when I'm trying to put out maximum power I am still comfortable, way more comfortable than the road bike, I feel so relaxed!

It wasn't always like this though, I remember the times not long ago that I couldn't ride in my aero position very well, I kept getting up, it just took training to get my body used to it.
  • KatberryKatberry Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone for all the advice and web links...

i think i'm converted to getting a TT bike, i'll give them a try out and hopefully find them not too uncomfortable.

My mate said it was a slippery slope once you get into tri and wanting new bikes, and i understand that now!

Cheers :)