Home Chat General Chat

OD Tri refuel ideas

Hello,

got my first OD tri this year, not really into power bars or gels etc?

any ideas on alternatives?

I'm thinking a banana in the vertical bottle rack but might need more, any one tried soreen on the move?

cheers

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    The problem is solid foods like soreen and bananas take too long to digest, therefore unless you are going to be out for 3 hours+ and you are going to eat them straight away as soon as you get on the bike then they aren't going to do you any good, they are just going to give you stomach ache on the run.

I have my 1st OD in two weeks, but I have done lots of long training, have run half marathons etc and lots of sprints - my nutrition strategies are -

Sprint/ half marathon - nothing - unless it is an exceptionally hot day then 5 sips of water at the start of the bike

Less that 2 hours training on bike or Bike+run - water only

2 hours+ - High5 4:1 carb to protein drink - VERY hypotonic so it goes down easily and hydrates me well.

In the OD I will be having a very dilute high5 on the bike, only for the 1st 20 mins and only probably half a bottle max otherwise I will get stomach cramps on the run. I expect to be done in less that 2 hours 10, your body as easily enough glycogen to last 2 hours.

And I always think people well overfuel rather than underfuel and its always better to be mildly dehydrated as opposed to hyperhydrated.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    cheers good answer,

Good luck for in 2 weeks, sub 2hrs 10 is a very good time, I've got 12 week till my OD event with a sprint 2 weeks before so I've got some time to train yet.

I'm hoping to come in around 2.30ish with some hard training I shall achieve!

I'll try out your ideas next week in training

cheers
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Give th gels a go, also try jelly beans, energy drink in a fuel belt, cut powerbars into quarters and take one every 15 minute - this is good as it the bike and run get broken up into doable segments. What ever you decide try it in training!
  • james1james1 Posts: 14
    does anyone have any good advice on the brands of gels/drinks and bars? There's too many! are they all just the same?

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    You have to try them out. Hi5 are great but I cannot take it, Powerbar is perfect for me
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    whatever you can stomach mate!

I can't stomach SIS it gives me cramps, High5 is the only stuff that agrees, what you have to do is try a range out in training, see what works