Home Chat General Chat

anearobic - aerobic... WTF!!!

Ok,

Got a cheap as chips HRM and I have no idea what to do with it. Been reading Coneheads book and he mentioned in it HRM training and so behold the questions.

What the hell is it all about? Am I missing out on something here, will it be beneficial to me?

Any takers???

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Aerobic = body using oxygen to burn fuel to provide energy

(you don't want the details of the glycolitic pathway!!)

Basically you are working "within" your capacity

Anaerobic = fuel is being burnt in the absence of oxygen, because you are not fit enough to provide sufficient oxygen

(you are working outside your limit and can only do so for a finite time)

HRM s are used to pinpoint the point ir Heart rate where you go from aerobic to anaerobic. Once you know this point you can...

1. Train to extend your anaerobic threshold

2. Train to increase the output of your aerobic threshold

3. Train to increase your anaerobic output ?

4. Train to endure and ignore the pain of working beyond your anaerobic threshold

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Now here is a 'piece of string' question.

In the absence of any references at my finger tips..try a google of HR zones, see what comes up, see what makes sense & ask us what doesn't.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    1. Train to extend your anaerobic threshold

2. Train to increase the output of your aerobic threshold

3. Train to increase your anaerobic output ?

4. Train to endure and ignore the pain of working beyond your anaerobic threshold

Ok I get this bit. So the better question being how do I do it?

For example, take point 4. I done a 1500m swim this morning and then completed a quick 20k. Now normally the 20k will take me (being novice) approx 40min, as its a very hilly course. today the blookdy thing took me 47mins and the burning sensation in my legs was horrendous. However, after 15mins it was gone and I was pedalling like a nutter on drugs. I made up most of my time in the latter half. I assumed from the lactate acid burning that I was not working effeciently and that a quick glance at my HRM at the time showed my HR at 163bpm....

Not sure what all of this meant but I know I need to improve. Having said that my overall speed was approx 26kmh and there was a nasty headwind all the way round.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    INTERVAL TRAINING

Intervals based around your heart rate and LSD based on your heart rate.

Basically if you push your body into the anaerobic zone for short bursts it increases, but to do this you need to know your anaerobic threshold.

It works I had it all done to me when rowing, and I developed a feel for it. Despite sometimes using a HRM I can be no longer be bothered with all the data outside of curiosity, but if you are up and coming go for it it will enable you to train better

Now which tri mag did I read about doing your own LT test.......? There are so many.
    Britspin you are sooo helpful these days.

Had a look at Rick Kiddles web page. Looks pretty good. I'll dig a bit deeper at lunch time when I've got a spare moment.

Cheers Conehead.
    No really..I am not sure, it may have been the US Triathlete. I shall go and explore.

The best way to get maximums would be to test....& they hurt, taking you probably to pukesville & to be fair you would need a HRM that records max HR..mainly because it is very hard to read your HRM whilst trying to remain upright at your limit on a bike or running....impossible when swimming.

I did my own a few years ago & have not done since as max tends to stay a constant once a reasonable level of fitness is achieved & I think we are all there. I only did bike & run to be honest..never did a swim, but I don't train by HR in the swim anyway.

Resting HR may change, but again once a good level is attained then it won't drop too far & is subject to way more fluctuation as rest, illness, hydration etc all affect resting particularly.

Once you have these to figs you have your Heart Rate Reserve, that is what your body has to work with. By definition you can't go above your max, you can go below your min, so the rest is useable & as Froggy says you can then work on altering your tolerances of work loads within that range..which is were LT comes in!
    Cheers britspin.

I'm only interested cause I really want to improve on my cycle and run. The swim will take care of itself as I'm currently 15min for 750m and I'll have that down to 13min for the next tri.

I'll do a bit of digging at lunchtime.

Cheers
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I can second Conehead's recommendation. Had a load of fitness tests with Rick Kiddle last week. Got my training schedules through last night. This morning, first time I have ever run completely understanding what heart rate zone I had to work in. Well worth it.
    Aha! There is an article in June 2009 american Triathlete Magazine..mostly involves a power meter for bike LT..so not much use there I am afraid. That said next time you race, use your HRM & you will find the rate at which you can sustain a high workrate, over the time/distance of the leg, if your nreathing cannot keep up you are past your LT, just below is your LT. same for a 10k run once your breathing gets too laboured..you have broken thru your LT & you will soon stop, the sustainable hard work is your LT. Then you can work out the rest of your zones. I think I have posted a link on a thread somewhere before that links HR zones to RPE to how it should feel to what training effect is produced...I'll have a look.
    britspin,

I take my hat off to you.

Much appreciated.

Regards
    You are welcome.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    That was a great link Britspin. The reasons for different levels of training had kinda escaped me up to now, inasmuch as I knew you had to do sprints etc to get faster but that simple little table made everything much clearer for me!