Home Chat General Chat

Ribble TT

Ok,

I'm trying (but very unsuccessful) to persuade the WAT offices to allow me to buy a new bike. I'm thinking that I would like to get the following:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/SpecialEditionBikes.asp --Ribble TT - Carbon Aero TT Ultegra 10 with Mavic Aksium Wheels £1299

Only prob, I have no idea on which cassette arrangement to go for. I'm also thinking that a better set of wheels might be beneficial.

However I really need advice on this, what to upgrade, what to keep etc

The WAT office will eventually relent and when she does I will pounce.

S11

Comments

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Nice bike:) I almost bought one but decided not as they wouldnt let me test ride it. :(

And im soo glad I opted for my Argon 18 now.....

anyway still a nice bike and a good price....

Cassette set up...... I would use an 11-21 for the flat-slightly undulating courses, an 11-23 for any other course apart from a really hilly race, ie hills over 10-12% then I would opt for an 11-25.

11-23 is a safe bet. I would always go for an 11 at the smaller end as youll get that extra little bit out on the downhills.

Same with the wheels, standard wheels are usually some of the cheapest around unless your paying alot for a complete bike. So my advice would be upgrade them..... either buy the bike with the standard wheels then buy a pair of wheels to race on.... or tell Ribble that you would like to swap the wheels for better ones and you should get them at an 'included with the bike' type deal...

ie (original cost of complete bike with standard wheels - cost of standard wheels) + cost of upgraded wheels = cost of bike with upgraded wheels....

:)
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Oh cheers for the reply. I'm thinking that I like the zipp, I think they are 808's.

Cheers about the cassette. The WAT officer is currently mulling over coneheads book so I'm sure I can get her to come round eventually.

S11
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    hey shadow, its worth bearing in mind what you have in the way of wheels when you get a race bike, i.e. if you have a set of spare wheels or training wheels you can use on it then great. As it gets into race season unless your training bike is set up exactly the same as your race bike you should be doing a lot of your training on the race bike to get used to the position.

So what I mean to say is, say you get a nice set of zipps with the bike, you are not going to want to take those out apart from when you race. So it may be worth getting the ok set of wheels in with the bike so you can use them for training. Just a thought
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Boo!!!!

Ribble Special Build doesn't work on a Mac[:(]
    TommiTri wrote:

hey shadow, its worth bearing in mind what you have in the way of wheels when you get a race bike, i.e. if you have a set of spare wheels or training wheels you can use on it then great. As it gets into race season unless your training bike is set up exactly the same as your race bike you should be doing a lot of your training on the race bike to get used to the position.

So what I mean to say is, say you get a nice set of zipps with the bike, you are not going to want to take those out apart from when you race. So it may be worth getting the ok set of wheels in with the bike so you can use them for training. Just a thought

Cheers Tommi,

When I first started, I bought an entry level bike, v basic but it done what it said on the tin. The problem being it was/ still is far too heavy. Therefore my current bike will devolve to the training bike. Having said that, a few extras have been put onto it and the biggest one was a better set of wheels. I didn't splash out on expensive wheels as I knew this would be training bike so I bought shimano tiagra and put continental ultra sport tyres on them (coincidently never had a puncture in them and at £30 each I would expect that).

What I'm trying to say is that I agree that I would need to train on the bike but in essence I would only take it out on nice days and on the tiagra's.

I need a better bike and its showing on my times, the current bike's frame (alloy) is just to heavy and not worth upgrading all the components. A new bike would be far cheaper in the long run.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I have had dealings with Ribble and the customer service was CRAP
    Treefrog,

More info please. I'm not spending £1300 on bike if the service is toosh.

I'm thinking of taking coneheads advice and whacking my ass to bridgetown...

more details Treefrog

Cheers
    I was bought a pair of shoes from them, the strap broke I returned them despite numerous phonecalls the new shoes did not arrive until after my IM.

They would not give a refund - I ended up giving the shoes away!

Kit arrives vert late. Really you are far better off going to a LBS if you are shelling out for a good bike - better advice, better service possibly better deal. Ask various cycle clubs in your are who to reccommend.

Or try the following www.slanecycles.co.uk - phone and ask for Paul or Andy and they will get you a deal to suit your budget

• pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    i'm immediately put off them by their misleading monthly advertisment in 220.

The ad reads something like "this bike for £1199."

In the pic is a Ribble that's been Pimped to the max with top-end components and a nice set of Zipp wheels...when you follow the link what's on offer is a completely different bike....

Surprised the ASA haven't picked them up for it
    once again Avoid Ye the ribble
    Yip

Noticed that one. Surely 220 must take some responsibility as well.

I think I'll take Treefrogs advice and avoid.

Cheers folks