Home Chat General Chat

1/2 Iron Man The Week Before Full IM

Hi All,

I am attempting the UK Iron Man for the 1st time this year. I also thinking of entering The Trentham Big Half the week before as a warm up. Does any one have any opinion as to weather this is advisable with the two races so close together?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi,

I'm also doing IMUK this year and it'll also be my first long distance race. I had hoped to race a couple of half IMs over the early summer but unfortunately injury scuppered that idea. I'm currently facing the exact same question but was instead wondering whether a month before would be too soon!

From what I have read (but zero personal experience) I would say that a month is probably fine, down to 2 weeks is marginal but probably ok and anything less than 2 weeks is probably too soon.

Maybe someone more experienced has a view, but thats my two penny's worth.

Ewan
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    DO NOT DO THIS!
  • matt333matt333 Posts: 32
    Thanks for the replys, I think I'll give Trentham a miss then.

Matt
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Ewan, 1 month a head seems ideal. Everything I've read recommends something similar, but 2 weeks ahead would be a no-no.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    I am racing IM France on June 28th, my race prep was Lisbon HIM 9 weeks prior IMF and Beaver Middle Distance triathlon 5 weeks prior IMF, no way would I attempt a HIM race the week before IM
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Looks like you shouldn't do it. But fair play to you for even considering it! You mentalist!
  • mikescotttmikescottt Posts: 48
    Don't beat about the bush Conehead ... say what you mean! :)haha .... but I agree :)