Home Chat General Chat

Run off the bike

jasejase Posts: 47
Hi guys

Just interested to know what sort of reduction in run times you see running off the bike compared to usual?

I am managing around 50min for 10k and 25min for 5k flat but at Blenhiem on saturday only managed 16min for 2.5k and last year at London only managed 30min for 5km.

Are these reductions normal / usual or will more block sessions make big differences?

cheers

Comments

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I'm no runner, but my best parkrun time on a saturday morning is 24:34, whereas on the three srpints I've completed my run times for 5km have been averaging 26 minutes. No great reduction, but 90 second difference. Hope this helps.
  • I usualy lose about 50 - 90 on the run of the bike. takes about the first 2k before i can run at full pace/ stride

Neil
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i ran about 2 1/2mins slower than my target time for 10k yesterday. i can usually run a steady 8min/mile but struggled a lot and never got a rhythm.

i think that a minute or so on top would seem about right, at least for me. it is likely to depend on how much you put into the bike section as well.

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    I agree with Coney, you can not judge your times at different events, for example I can do a flat 5k in 19.30, my last 2 events I ran a 22min and a 24min, the latter being a hilly bike course
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I dinf that my reducting in pace really varies (as conehead said) in training it can vary to averaging 7:20 mile pace off the bike, to about 8:10 pace, in my only tri so far, I averaged about 8:10 pace but i struggled on the bike and got a stitch. I'm no expert but i found that going hard on the bike then running flat out for a few k's in a mini brick helped me get used to going at race pace even though i couldn't 'feel' my legs properly. it seemed to do the trick as i was pretty consistantly paced - now i just need to go faster
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Conehead wrote:

Which highlights a wider problem - race organisers under pressure to have the course just a tad short as we (age groupers) always decide if a race is 'good' if we go fast. The organisation could be shocking, but if we do a PB we say its a 'good' race and will be back.

And so to the point that if I enter a OD tri,I expect to race 1500m,40k,and 10k.

If the organisers fail to provide an accurate course are they then liable under the Trades description Act,for failing to provide an advertised product?

All organisers do there upmost to provide accuracy,but that accuracy is only as good as the equipment that measures it.

So goodness knows what they used at Sherbourne in 2003 for the run course,over a mile seemed to get lost.
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    I can run a flat 5k in low 17 mins and my flat 5k time off a bike is high 17mins so not a lot of difference.....

I can run 9.8 miles in an hour straight off just running..... but when I do my LD races I aim to do anything around 8.8-9 miles at best in the hour..... On the Half marathon of a HIM I set off with the aim of going sub 90mins..... My quickest half marathon off a 56mile bike is 1hr 26mins..... however my quickest half marathon just running is 1 hr 23mins

You can reduce the difference by training your body to run off the bike... alot of my runs come after a bike session so my body is used to the feeling of feeling rubbish....
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    My times are getting faster - sorry sounds pompous - but I put that down to:

Losing weight

Getting fitter

Going from a road bike to a Tri bike. Legs are so much fresher!

Doing bike/run bricks at the gym 2-3 times week (45min hard spin with my bike shoes on, skip the cool down unfasten shoes leaving them on the pedals, pull on trainers and within seconds straight onto treadmill at race pace i.e 13.3-13.5Km/hr)

I am about 2 - 2 1/2mins faster than in 2007 over the same courses. In comparison to a straight 5Km (yet to do my first Olympic) I would say apart from the first 200m there is not a lot in it for me as the run is my best discipline and the combination of brick training and getting a tri specific bike has minimised 'jelly legs' to dismount to T2 run and perhaps at most first 100-200m of the run.
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    I find I run faster, even though it feels slow, straight off the bike than not and have to consciously slow myself down to a pace a I can sustain.

Practising both bricks (short intense bike followed by long steady run, long steady bike followed by short intense run), stand up near end of bike and spin out legs before dismount, and start the run concentrating on upright posture and arms (ignore your legs, they only feel like you've attached someone else's anyway) all help.

Ade