Home Chat General Chat

Max HR query

A post earlier this week by "shadowone1" asked a question about maximum heart rates, and an extremeley useful link wa posted by "britspin", http://www.adfc76.hemscott.net/spin/MHR%20RPE%20chart.xls. This spreadsheet gives heart rate zones, maximum heart rates, physical perception, and what you would feel like.

Assuming I have a maximum HR of 180bpm, and a resting HR of 60bpm, is the 85% of the 180 bpm, ie 153, or the difference between maximum and resting + resting, ie 162.

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Max HR in my book is the highest your HR gets to and is held for a specific time under the test regieme

so the 85% is 153.

Beware those data charts are very general and can only be used as a guide.

Everyone is specific to themselves and HR's can vary according to a host of conditions

You would bemuch better to avoid the charts and either

1. Employ the services of a credited coach/ reccommended coach

2. Do a series of step tests on yourself over a prolonged period and work out your HR's yourself. In addition to this keep a diary as HR's can change as you get fitter, more efficient at a particular discipline, get older and many others.

(this is one reason why elite athletes are continuously monitored). By keeping a diary and undergoing a regular training programme with routine you will soon be able to spot trends and make decent assessments yourself.

One other thing do not be easy on yourself push your self to the limit every time and then a little more and your body will tell you when to take a recovery day(s)
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I like the chart as mentioned as it is not a 220-age type deal, but a guide to what is what & you then make the best decision for you, which if you go with RPE instead of HR then you can take in all the variances from day to day, which is I think what most folk who have a HRM end up doing once they are used to it. At first you look at it often to see what your HR is, after a while you look at it occasionally to check you were right.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Britspin wrote:

I like the chart as mentioned as it is not a 220-age type deal, but a guide to what is what & you then make the best decision for you, which if you go with RPE instead of HR then you can take in all the variances from day to day, which is I think what most folk who have a HRM end up doing once they are used to it. At first you look at it often to see what your HR is, after a while you look at it occasionally to check you were right.

This is true. I have a HRM but I have stopped religiously following it. I'm starting to realise from RPE what level I'm working at.

Sor far as max HR is concerned, I got 229 from the HRM, so 220-age is way off.
  • LeezarLeezar Posts: 36
    Personally are getting more and more confused with all the HR posts. I read how each individual use their HR, their results and limits. The conclusion I have is that they are nothing like my limits or resting heart rate.

I understand me and my HR but in comparison to everyone else mine are so different.

Many moons ago when I had hair on my head instead of now my chest... I trained for mountain bike races my max HR was 199 and I was able to maintain this for any time up to 2-5 mins or then operate for up to 30-50 mins on or over 95% of my max. Going by the chart given at the start of the post it makes(or made) me a bionic man. Granted now i cannot get anywhere near maintaining those types of percentages.

I suppose the point I’m trying to say is individually we are all so different, now I can see it. There does not seem to be an exact right or wrong to follow just what you learn about your own ticker over time and this will assist you in your training.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    A vote here for the "we are all different" theory. I can't get near 85% of my max HR for a sustained period when running. If I try to run at tempo pace (ie a sustainable "comfotably hard" pace) I'm more like 75% of max HR.