Home Chat General Chat

Hamstring

Ok,

I've got a couple of sprint coming in preperation for my A race Olympic distance at the end of July. My hamstring is pretty sore. Have no idea where it has come from as the only exercise I done at the weekend was to go for a swim and sharp blast on the bike. The hamstring felt sore on Sunday after spending most of the day in the garden, I went for swim and cycle on the sunday to loosen it off.

Its really only sore getting in and out of the car, I've tried heat patches to ease the muscle pain but didn't really do much damage. Is it heat or ice that you put on strains?

I want to go for a swim/ run tonight but hamstring is holding me back.

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I Have always lived by ICE it when it happens and when its swallon, heat it when it aches later!

Have you tried Deep Heat? I know it stinks but for me it really works!

My hamstring in my left leg is sore after a hard run every time. I just use some deep heat the next day. Its an old football injury for me that never healed quite right. same as my right quad.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Never tried using Deap Heat... I do have problems with my right calf which compression socks have helped with, but reckon I'll give the deap heat a go cheers Baz!
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    I had a physio session earlier and asked for you ("what do you do if you get a hamstring strain")- he recommended ice, also not to stretch it immediately (in the few days after the cause) as that can hinder healing. After a few days try hot water bottle, gentle stretching and after a week or so maybe weights to strengthen. Basically his said don't do too much too soon as you'll be worse off.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Massage might be worth a try. Foam rollering to get some release on the point of discomfort, go gentle initially to avoid further aggravating any injury..