Home Chat General Chat

What's your dream race?

This is probably one for us newbies, but what Triathlon event do you hope to build towards?

For me, it's the ESCAPE From Alcatraz Triathlon!

http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com

A 1.5 mile swim through frigid waters from Alcatraz Island to shore, a grueling 18-mile bike race, and a demanding 8-mile run through the rugged trails of Golden Gate Recreation Area. Set against the natural beauty of San Francisco, this thrilling triathlon is a virtual postcard of the City by the Bay.

I hope to be fast enough to qualify for this at next years London Triathlon, so that would make my A race 2011 or 2012!

Plenty of time[;)]

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    In my dream I would be pursued by numerous handsome men in lycra, exclaiming compliments as they ran. Wouldnt be the fastest race, though. Or the longest..... [8|]

A girl can dream, right?!

I really haven't taken this post very seriously, have I? Sorry about that. [:-]

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    My dream race: the one that I win! Still dreaming.

Really, everytime you do a PB, or place higher than your have before - it's a dream.

Currently though, I'm just dreaming of being fit enough to do an event.
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I am completely with Conehead. Having now got into Ironman training and having completed a middle distance with the big one coming up - it has to be the World Champs for Ironman.

Likewise - 70.3 World Champs at Clearwater is supposed to be an epically quick course.

Failing that Age-Group Worlds for Olympic.

Thinking about it.............any World Champ that I could actually compete in would be great!!!![:D]

• BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    A middle distance race, with a sea swim, a flat bike route and a run on grass. I'd have to be 25 yrs old, in fantastic shape and racing alongside a young John Foxx, Richard E Grant and David Tenant.

I'd also be riding a P3.

I love dreaming.

blurredgirl
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    dream race?

one that is all downhill!

Including the swim ;-)

didds

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Ironman Kona & Enduroman

Oh! and the Jesster chase !!!
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    For me it's got to be Windsor Triathlon. The only race where I don't have to queue for a toilet beforehand as I live 2 minutes form the start. Heaven!!

But in reality Hawaii. Fell for Kona after being there for my honeymoon last year I'd love to do any race there.
    ....lol.....Jesster Chase.......if only, Mr Rigg! [:D]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Is the Jesster Chase a handicap? The VM40+ get a head start. Hang on, that's a nightmare now [:)]
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    For me - the Chase Race Middle Distance next year where TEAM LAWS will finish and finish in style.

[;)]

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Any race with Jesster and Blurredgirl - oh no ladies you said handsome men - rules me out then!

I suppose somewhere exotic - Singapore, Oz, Cancun, Skegness, Florida, Hawaii perhaps, warm but not hot and it definitely has to be an Ironman - I will do one - one day!
    By the way, should Jesster Chase ever happen, all entry fees would of course be waived and only a little thought would have to go in to the contents of a goody bag for all competitors too. Any ideas? lol Appropriate clothing and footwear must be worn at all times.

Gels and energy drinks will not be needed however, as the race is expected to be very short. [;)]
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I love the idea of a Jesster chase, the goody bag could include; a medal, book of compliments, um a chocolate bar?

My dream race is not yet fully formed, it will be iron distance, at the moment I'm looking at Aus or Florida, SA or Japan. Obviously Hawaii would be the best but i doubt i'm likely to qualify for that

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Dream race? Hmmmm....

Well, my dream Ironman race starts in clear tropical waters. The temperature is around 25 degrees and I'm just in speedos. I'm swimming hard, but it feels so relaxed and when I get out of the water (in first place), I'm hardly out of breath and feel fresh as a daisy.

The bike leg is all downhill so on my way out of T1 I slam into the biggest gear I've got, get tucked in and eat up the road. The following wind gives me a bit of extra speed and at T2, I've extended my lead to 1 hour.

Getting off my bike at T2, I jump off and land straight into my running shoes without even looking and set off to break the marathon record. The rest of the field has been decimated and as I cross the line falling into the arms of Cheryl Cole, I allow myself a few tears of joy at my accomplishment.

You did say dream right?

Okay, would love to do the Bala Middle Distance. Definitely a dream at the moment!

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Somewhere flat with no wind.

In terms of dream experience, Quelle Challenge Roth looks pretty special.

In terms of sheer 'wow I can't believe anyone can do that' mentalness, The Arc to Arch is pretty hard to beat. But that really is a dream - it must cost thousands of pounds...
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    And when we have all done our dream race,what then,chase some more Rainbows?......Not to put a dampner on things but I seem to have alot of smog swirling around at the end of my rainbow at the moment.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    jon.E wrote:

Not to put a dampner on things but I seem to have alot of smog swirling around at the end of my rainbow at the moment.

As the singer Gabrielle said... "Dreams can come true"
    Flavadave wrote:
    ORIGINAL: jon.E

Not to put a dampner on things but I seem to have alot of smog swirling around at the end of my rainbow at the moment.

As the singer Gabrielle said... "Dreams can come true"

There is a proverb that asks us '' if life is a dream,what will happen when you wake up'',I often ask myself ''what if my life is someone elses dream,what will happen when they wake up?''
    Ah but then if you existed only as part of someone elses dream you would not have self awareness hence D'escarte's conclusion 'cogito egro sum' 'I think therefore I am'
    Ahh! but is my self awareness only brought on by the subliminal thought of the persons dream?

So the real downer could be that my dream race is really someone elses.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Zacnici wrote:

Ah but then if you existed only as part of someone elses dream you would not have self awareness hence D'escarte's conclusion 'cogito egro sum' 'I think therefore I am'

Ah, but if i think i win, does that make it so? and, What happens if i stop thinking, do i disappear?
    md6 wrote:
    ORIGINAL: Zacnici

Ah, but if i think i win, does that make it so? and, What happens if i stop thinking, do i disappear?

Have you tried it?

Although it is surprising the number of triathletes who leave their brain in the transition area at races.
    The Descarte 'I think etc' conclusion is about absolute truth. Self awareness is proof that 'I' exist, it does not mean that 'I' alone exist or that 'I' am Master of the Universe (Hawkwind nod there). 'I' could be influenced in my perception of my surroundings by a 'demon' so that this 'demon' makes me podourously slow in the swim to torture me.
    So if thought leads to perception,we now know that we alone are our own worst enemies,and everything else is incosciquential.(like my bad spelling).so a dream race would be one that the competitor is 'of' the race and not 'being' the race,the venue or the outcome would not be significant,abit like a short stroll through a lunatic assylum.