Home Chat General Chat

Nuun on the run?!?!

Further to recent posts have seen the recommendations for nuun.

Going to get some to try.

My question is how do you use it on the run leg, thinking marathon of IMUK? They only appear to do tablets, and i am only going to take fluid in at aid stations.

any thoughts as to how to get sodium in on the run would be great. My thoughts at moment are some salt tabs, eg saltstick.

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Expecting heat then? Some sodium in an electrolyte drink I can go with, but salt tabs? I believe you would be salt overloading which would most likely have a non too pleasant effect...not least on your race.

I will bow to the superior knowledge of long distance racers in high temps (can't think of one can you?) but physiologically I cannot see a case for salt tabs alone.
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    you really shouldn't worry about salt. i did IM lanzarote last month and as long as you drink energy drink on the run you will be fine, it has ample sodium in it for your needs. Whatever your expected time is for the marathon i would switch to coke for the last 90 minutes, worked a treat for me. Also nuun is good but it isn'magic
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    that's helpful thanks.

as for expecting heat...just trying to plan in case this hot summer we are expecting actually arrives on Aug 2nd! i did not use any in my first IM, and i am hoping can improve on my 4 hr run time, as got some cramps!

i was reading earlier that should take 400-1000mg of sodium in on bike per hour (ok a big range, but i sweat a fair bit so assuming higher end!). to get this i would need 2 litres of gatorade. on the sums i have been doing with the gels, that still leaves a deficit? and given on the run will prob sweat more that was why i was thinking of getting some supplemental source.

craig alexander claims to use saltstick?! maybe cos of the cash that he is getting!

• JoddyBearJoddyBear Posts: 66
    ipay1980 wrote:

They only appear to do tablets, and i am only going to take fluid in at aid stations.

the nuun tablets are to be added to water (or gatorade/psp22 etc if you prefer) and i think in the ratio of 1 tab to 8oz.

i'm a big fan of the tri-berry flavour (and not just for the name) and i like the fact that they are a bit tart

give em a go in training and see if you get on with them
  • I must recommend putting a tri berry nuun in with an orange berocca in your water - what a fantastic taste!!
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    With all the positive vibes about this product I found myself buying a tube at the weekend. When I showed my wife she said... "What's unnu?"

... I proceeded to turn the tube the other way round.... [:D]
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Does she also put 710 in the car ??
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    thanks for the comments

much appreciated
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    'unnu'...very funny.....won't look at the tubes in the same light again